Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Do It Yourself (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/do-yourself-210/)
-   -   Garage Door Window Inserts (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/do-yourself-210/garage-door-window-inserts-341807/)

greatcrimson 06-03-2023 12:36 PM

Garage Door Window Inserts

Does anyone know of a local source to purchase plastic window inserts for garage door windows?

As I drive around, I see a number of different styles and I would like to replace the 6 in the windows of my garage door with something different. On my door the inserts are just held in with screws, from the inside and they are 18" x 10 1/2"

Thanks for any help!

villagetinker 06-03-2023 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greatcrimson (Post 2223127)
Does anyone know of a local source to purchase plastic window inserts for garage door windows?

As I drive around, I see a number of different styles and I would like to replace the 6 in the windows of my garage door with something different. On my door the inserts are just held in with screws, from the inside and they are 18" x 10 1/2"

Thanks for any help!

I am not sure what you are trying to do, but I removed all (14) windows on 2 garage doors and replaced the GLASS with LEXAN inserts and screened vents. This was done to allow air into the garage and still have some light. This was very easy to do as you noted the inserts are in place with screws, and I simply cut the Lexan to the correct size, and then added a hole for the vent and screen.

greatcrimson 06-03-2023 06:05 PM

Thanks villagetinker, I don't want to replace the actual windows, only the cathedral shaped plastic pieces that are mounted from the inside. So many people have that style, that I was just thinking of replacing them with a multi-square or wagon wheel style. I could just remove the cathedral pieces and leave it at that, and then they would be a simple rectangle, but I've seen some nicer shapes, so that's what I'm after.

Bogie Shooter 06-03-2023 06:17 PM

Quite a few different styles available on Amazon.

greatcrimson 06-03-2023 07:40 PM

The only ones that I see on Amazon are magnets that stick on the outside of the garage door. My current 18" x 10 1/2" plastic inserts are screwed into a frame on the inside.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 2223203)
Quite a few different styles available on Amazon.

AliceGmail 06-04-2023 11:32 AM

Window Blinds Dubai can be used in the garage door window.

Bogie Shooter 06-04-2023 07:31 PM

Romac Building Supply in leesburg may have them.
MATERIALS | RoMac FL

Also check with Home Warranty on who installed the door and maybe the name of the door.

wawriwwawriw 06-05-2023 05:04 AM

From Amazon

bowlingal 06-05-2023 05:11 AM

I had mine replaced by a guy that advertised in the Daily Sun Service Directory section.

Villages Kahuna 06-05-2023 06:16 AM

Try the sub-contractor who probably installed the garage door, or sold the door to the sun who did install it. Chances are it was ROMAC in Leesburg.

darpat5758 06-05-2023 06:45 AM

Romac

I bought mine from Romac on Rolling Acres, gave them my address they knew what I needed.

Nana2Teddy 06-05-2023 06:49 AM

Quote:

Thanks for any help!

Where we previously lived we had the same situation where we wanted a different style of insert. We just called a local garage repair company we’d used before, and they had a variety of styles for us to choose from. But, I agree with others who’ve said to check with warranty for info on who installed your garage door before calling anyone else.

bark4me 06-05-2023 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 2223165)
I am not sure what you are trying to do, but I removed all (14) windows on 2 garage doors and replaced the GLASS with LEXAN inserts and screened vents. This was done to allow air into the garage and still have some light. This was very easy to do as you noted the inserts are in place with screws, and I simply cut the Lexan to the correct size, and then added a hole for the vent and screen.

Sounds like a neat idea. You happen to have any pictures of your project?

rpalumberi 06-05-2023 10:47 AM

Can I purchase those cathedral shaped pieces?

Quote:

Originally Posted by greatcrimson (Post 2223199)
Thanks villagetinker, I don't want to replace the actual windows, only the cathedral shaped plastic pieces that are mounted from the inside. So many people have that style, that I was just thinking of replacing them with a multi-square or wagon wheel style. I could just remove the cathedral pieces and leave it at that, and then they would be a simple rectangle, but I've seen some nicer shapes, so that's what I'm after.

If they are what I think, we like that look but they are discontinued. We would need eight. Please email rpalumberi@optonline.net if available. Can you send a picture as well? thanks

JGVillages 06-05-2023 04:16 PM

Quote:

Thanks for any help!

I believe they are available at RoMac Building Supply in Lady Lake, their Garage Door Division352-748-4575.