Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Help please - Navigating Senior Care Facility Options (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/help-please-navigating-senior-care-facility-options-342261/)

Jdburns11 06-24-2023 11:04 AM

Help please - Navigating Senior Care Facility Options

Good Morning, - so I looked at the health-care, medical, senior care thread or forum and didn’t see any posts at all - so either I was doing it wrong or there was nothing helpful there other than a “Senior Care Advisor” phone which I did write down.

In short, my mother is 80 (In KS presently) and may need an independent, assisted or memory care type facility in the coming days. Is there a good source (person, website or other resource) to help navigate the various needs and options locally and generally speaking closer to Lake Sumter Landing??

I know there is Watercrest up on 466 that offers graduated levels of care - but I’d appreciate any general thoughts or resources, or specific recommendations based on quality of care/service, cost and locations that people are familiar with. Are we looking at $4,000-$6,000 for most assisted living facilities these days?

My hunch is right now that an assisted living facility would be the right general target but a memory care option may eventually be needed.

Apologies for the post in the general forum, just looks like where it might get the best response or looks.

Respectfully, DB

villagetinker 06-24-2023 11:10 AM

We used Mission Oaks on 301, just south of 466 for my wife's mother, care was very good, and she was in the dementia unit.

retiredguy123 06-24-2023 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jdburns11 (Post 2229267)
Good Morning, - so I looked at the health-care, medical, senior care thread or forum and didn’t see any posts at all - so either I was doing it wrong or there was nothing helpful there other than a “Senior Care Advisor” phone which I did write down.

In short, my mother is 80 (In KS presently) and may need an independent, assisted or memory care type facility in the coming days. Is there a good source (person, website or other resource) to help navigate the various needs and options locally and generally speaking closer to Lake Sumter Landing??

I know there is Watercrest up on 466 that offers graduated levels of care - but I’d appreciate any general thoughts or resources, or specific recommendations based on quality of care/service, cost and locations that people are familiar with. Are we looking at $4,000-$6,000 for most assisted living facilities these days?

My hunch is right now that an assisted living facility would be the right general target but a memory care option may eventually be needed.

Apologies for the post in the general forum, just looks like where it might get the best response or looks.

Respectfully, DB

I would suggest that you visit Watercrest on Rt 466 and Sumter Senior Living on Rt 466A. I recently visited both places to look at their independent living. For a 2-bedroom unit, you will pay about $6,000+ per month and it is on a month-to-month basis, with no lease, and includes 3 meals per day. So, I assume that assisted living will cost more than that. The advantage to these places is that you can still use The Villages amenities as a Villages resident. Personally, I think $6,000 per month for independent living is outrageous, especially since you need to furnish the apartment and you have no guarantee that they won't throw you out in a month or raise the rent. Another option is Freedom Pointe, but they charge a huge entry fee, plus a monthly fee, all of which includes a lifetime care contract, similar to buying long-term care insurance.

gregcarpenter49@yahoo.com 06-24-2023 02:47 PM

Assisted living

Ladylake assisted living and memory care on 466, east of Rolling acres.

Greg Ainsworth Director

xcaligirl 06-24-2023 03:38 PM

Quote:

Respectfully, DB

I will PM you with my thoughts and what I have gone through having my Mom at a facility here in the Villages.

FenneyFanatic 06-24-2023 03:48 PM

Quote:

Respectfully, DB

I highly recommend that you reach out to Josephine from Your Key To Senior Living Options. She can help match you with facilities that would best meet your financial, social, medical needs. Her services are completely free. The company has helped over 1000's families in The Villages! Her direct number is 352-973-2729.

BoatRatKat 06-25-2023 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xcaligirl (Post 2229353)
I will PM you with my thoughts and what I have gone through having my Mom at a facility here in the Villages.

Could you please send me your thoughts on this as well please. I have elderly parents and have been looking. Thank you.

eeroger 06-25-2023 05:42 AM

Assistance

Quote:

Respectfully, DB

The Caregiver Resource Center of Tri-County can help you find answers, solve problems and understand the available options as you care for your family member, partner or friend.

PHONE NUMBER: 352-775-2952

EMAIL: office@tccrc.net

This is an organization recommended to us for Parkinson & Dimension help.

William MacEntee 06-25-2023 05:42 AM

Please send your thoughts on this, because I am looking for options as well. I am 75 years old, living in the villages independantly in my own home by myself, but that day will come.

Jdburns11 06-25-2023 06:04 AM

Thanks so much for the all the replies & thoughts resources and information …. All very helpful and just what I needed… and will continue to take and be thankful for additional posts/information as well! Respectfully, DB

Lovey2 06-25-2023 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 2229289)
I would suggest that you visit Watercrest on Rt 466 and Sumter Senior Living on Rt 466A. I recently visited both places to look at their independent living. For a 2-bedroom unit, you will pay about $6,000+ per month and it is on a month-to-month basis, with no lease, and includes 3 meals per day. So, I assume that assisted living will cost more than that. The advantage to these places is that you can still use The Villages amenities as a Villages resident. Personally, I think $6,000 per month for independent living is outrageous, especially since you need to furnish the apartment and you have no guarantee that they won't throw you out in a month or raise the rent. Another option is Freedom Pointe, but they charge a huge entry fee, plus a monthly fee, all of which includes a lifetime care contract, similar to buying long-term care insurance.

Freedom Pointe is not similar to buying long term health insurance at all. It does not just cover your care financially, you remain on property and move on thru the levels of care, as needed, with them providing the care. As the person asking can attest, that alone is a big chore for caregivers and the individual...moving thru the care options and finding the right fit at each level. Also, I'd check about that "entry fee" thing. I believe you own your unit and there are several options on the purchase, as to if and how you'd like it bequeathed, etc. It's not just an "entry fee".

Snookie100 06-25-2023 06:32 AM

Navigating Senior Care Facility Options

The Villages has a department to help you with this. Terri Snow is the person to contact. 352-753-6767
Terri.snow@thevillages.com

My husband and I have investigated many facilities including Freedom Point and Watercrest in The Villages.Serenades has memory care. Sumter Grand /Sumter Place has assisted. Nearby places include Trinity Springs and American House.
For assisted/memory care, Mission Oaks is great. Buffalo Ridge is good for assisted.Summerfield Suites is a little older and a lot less expensive, but had the most caring staff you can imagine (my aunt was very happy there). Good luck with your search!

Pgcacace 06-25-2023 06:40 AM

It is west of Rolling acres.

mraines 06-25-2023 06:55 AM

Quote:

Respectfully, DB

My mother died in 2014 so I have no current info. At the time, she lived in Summerfield Suites which I found to be the best. I believe it has changed hands so I have no idea how it is now. I can tell you that wherever you put her, you need to be her advocate and watch them closely. I was very disappointed with the facilities here. My mother was originally in Sumter Grand (not sure of its correct name but on 466A). Very nice facility but lacking in many ways. Young techs not really good at dispensing meds. My mother's records were not correct and as a result of my complaining, she was sort of ousted and blacklisted. (long story). She was in Palm Gardens in Ocala and I could not get her out due to their lies. PLEASE, wherever you put her, keep an eye on everything. I saw a lot while caring for my mother here and most of it not good.

Ptmckiou 06-25-2023 07:19 AM

My father was in memory care at Watercrest and passed last year. I thought the place was gorgeous and they took great care of my Dad. They take memory care patients on outings in the bus, they have special live concerts weekly they go into the main center and attend as a group. They have crafts and the food is definitely gourmet level with a wine bar for independent and assisted living. They even have a swimming pool. Memory care last year was $6200.