Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About Golf Carts and Things (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/)
-   -   Windshield cleaning? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/windshield-cleaning-34284/)

Adoane 12-13-2010 07:18 AM

Windshield cleaning?

Can anyone recommend a product to clean our golf cart windshield and where to purchase it?

skip0358 12-13-2010 07:25 AM

Easy

Vinegar & water. Nothing with ammonia or alcohol.

Xavier 12-13-2010 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adoane (Post 315082)
Can anyone recommend a product to clean our golf cart windshield and where to purchase it?

I use Windex without ammonia with a mirco-cloth. We use the same thing on our laminate flooring.

Xavier

BogeyBoy 12-13-2010 07:33 AM

EZ-Go has this product:

Foaming Polish and Protectant for Windshields and Plastic Windshields.

Part #606314

"A clear cleaner and coating specifically formulated for use on utility vehicle Plexiglas and vinyl transparent surfaces."

getdul981 12-13-2010 07:46 AM

I'm thinking the salesman at VGC store told us to use Pledge. I'll have to double check. Also to use a VEERRRYYY soft cloth, something like the oldest most worn out T-shirt you have.

Bill-n-Brillo 12-13-2010 08:40 AM

Don't use a paper towel!!!

There's also a product called Plexus that's for plastics, acrylic, Lexan, etc. You can generally find it at places that cater to motorcycles or boats - perhaps other places as well including online. It's not inexpensive but it's good stuff.

Another suggestion: If your windshield is really dirty, it would be best to wash it first then use a plastic cleaner to finish it up. JMHO..... :)

Bill

JenAjd 12-13-2010 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skip0358 (Post 315088)
Vinegar & water. Nothing with ammonia or alcohol.

We always us white vinegar and water to clean windows, windshields etc. Other products leave residue and will show streaks as well. Just my humble opinion. Oh...and newspapers to polish will leave it all spiffy!!!

l2ridehd 12-13-2010 09:51 AM

I use the cleaner/polish they make for airplane windshields. You can buy it at any small airport. It is made specifically to cause any rain to run off and not bead up. So any water or rain will leave you with a very clear windshield. It is made for plastic type windshields.

getdul981 12-13-2010 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo (Post 315117)
If your windshield is really dirty, it would be best to wash it first then use a plastic cleaner to finish it up. JMHO..... :)

Bill

WASH!!! That's a 4-letter word!! I'm surprised it didn't wind up ****.

Just kidding. I know it should be ****ed first.

Years ago when I used to ridce a motorcycle, there was a product put ot by Macguire's (I think) that I used to polish out scratches and clean the windshield. Anyone know if that stuff is still around?

Bill-n-Brillo 12-13-2010 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by getdul981 (Post 315164)
WASH!!! That's a 4-letter word!! I'm surprised it didn't wind up ****.

Just kidding. I know it should be ****ed first.

Years ago when I used to ridce a motorcycle, there was a product put ot by Macguire's (I think) that I used to polish out scratches and clean the windshield. Anyone know if that stuff is still around?

Greg - I think your post got flagged!! :) You've been asterisked out!

Yep, just Google "meguiars plastic polish" - they have several different products for plastics.

Bill

iandwk 12-13-2010 11:27 AM

We've been successful with pledge and microfiber cloth. That was the recommendation from TV Golf Carts when we bought ours.

ajbrown 12-13-2010 11:56 AM

Timely thread, thanks. I was in the process of ordering a new windshield for my Club Car as the previous owners scratched it. The scratches are circular which tells me it happened during cleaning, maybe a rough cloth, who knows..... The scratches make it very tough for night driving.

I will first try one of these polishes.....

getdul981 12-13-2010 12:02 PM

Bill - I put the *'s in myself.

Bill-n-Brillo 12-13-2010 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by getdul981 (Post 315189)
Bill - I put the *'s in myself.

Self-editing, eh? :)

Bill

Pturner 12-13-2010 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l2ridehd (Post 315153)
I use the cleaner/polish they make for airplane windshields. You can buy it at any small airport. It is made specifically to cause any rain to run off and not bead up. So any water or rain will leave you with a very clear windshield. It is made for plastic type windshields.

l2, what's the name of it? I might want to order some online.