Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Travel Forum (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/travel-forum-119/)
-   -   We will need a visa to go to Europe in 2024! (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/travel-forum-119/we-will-need-visa-go-europe-2024-a-342936/)

Rainger99 07-25-2023 08:22 PM

We will need a visa to go to Europe in 2024!

If you travel to Europe, starting next year, you are going to need a visa!!

U.S. Passport Holders Will Need a Visa to Travel to Europe in 2024 - Boundless

dtennent 07-26-2023 03:29 PM

Thanks for the tip. Having traveled to Europe many times over the 50 years, it is disappointing to have another layer of bureaucracy put in place. I understand that the radicals of this world have made it much harder for security. Too bad that the EU didn't make the visa good for at least 5 years.

Two Bills 07-26-2023 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtennent (Post 2239014)
Thanks for the tip. Having traveled to Europe many times over the 50 years, it is disappointing to have another layer of bureaucracy put in place. I understand that the radicals of this world have made it much harder for security. Too bad that the EU didn't make the visa good for at least 5 years.

Well the EU version is cheaper, and last a year longer than the US ESTA visa, that we have to renew every two years to get into USA.
USA has been radical for a whole lot longer! :icon_wink:

Kenswing 07-26-2023 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainger99 (Post 2238794)
If you travel to Europe, starting next year, you are going to need a visa!!

U.S. Passport Holders Will Need a Visa to Travel to Europe in 2024 - Boundless

Oh my gosh! I'm going to have to cough up roughly $8 to enter Europe. Gee, maybe we should boycott.

gatorbill1 07-26-2023 05:29 PM

Good for three years or length of passport, which it is connected to. No charge if over 70, 7 euros for others.
Can be all done online.

Rainger99 07-26-2023 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenswing (Post 2239037)
Oh my gosh! I'm going to have to cough up roughly $8 to enter Europe. Gee, maybe we should boycott.

I didn’t mention anything about a boycott. It was informational. I didn’t want someone to book flights to Europe and then show up at Orlando without a visa.

MandoMan 07-27-2023 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtennent (Post 2239014)

If you read the linked article above, you discover that this E.U. visa is the equivalent to the one the U.S. Department of State requires for E.U. residents. It’s a reciprocal arrangement. Here’s what our State Department says:
Visa Waiver Program

It just takes a few minutes to get this E.U. visa online, and it only costs $7.75, I believe.

Sandy and Ed 07-27-2023 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenswing (Post 2239037)

Problem isn’t the money - just the added requirement. Just renewed Global Reentry, then the Passport in a few months … now this new item?? Sure would be nice if we can figure out how to consolidate timing

Sandy and Ed 07-27-2023 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatorbill1 (Post 2239038)
Good for three years or length of passport, which it is connected to. No charge if over 70, 7 euros for others.
Can be all done online.

Thank you for this important point. Ignore my above post. If this is connected to our passport expiration - great

barbnick 07-27-2023 06:48 AM

2024 will be a very interesting year. Florida is checking licenses of truckers coming into the state at this time. I wonder how long it will be before we are required to “show your papers “ going from state to state

Paula 07-27-2023 07:24 AM

I always bring a Visa to Europe. Better than Discover or Mastercard!

rothbear 07-27-2023 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy and Ed (Post 2239108)
Thank you for this important point. Ignore my above post. If this is connected to our passport expiration - great

It's actually 3 years or until your passport expires WHICHEVER COMES FIRST. So it will be 3 years maximum.

Lisanp@aol.com 07-27-2023 08:04 AM

It's just a money making tactic. It's not going to be like a Visa to many other places that you have to apply for and wait to receive. It's going to be a pay online (or on an app) quick and easy. I just had to get a Visa for travel to Australia. It was $20 and took less then 2 minutes. Yes, it was an added step but it really is no big deal to experience the riches of international travel and definitely not something to complain about (or post online about).

gatorbill1 07-27-2023 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rothbear (Post 2239145)
It's actually 3 years or until your passport expires WHICHEVER COMES FIRST. So it will be 3 years maximum.

thanks for correcting me - I read it wrong

bp243 07-27-2023 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainger99 (Post 2239048)
I didn’t mention anything about a boycott. It was informational. I didn’t want someone to book flights to Europe and then show up at Orlando without a visa.

Thank you! It was read as informational and important to know in advance to get the paperwork in order. It’s a good thing.