Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, New Members Forum (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/)
-   -   Happy Monday! New here, and just a bit nutty! (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/happy-monday-new-here-just-bit-nutty-344239/)

Arancampas 09-18-2023 06:24 PM

Happy Monday! New here, and just a bit nutty!

For those of you who love to hear someone babble on and on about, who know what....this ones for you!
So we moved to Gainesville (Yes, I know, any and all pity is welcomed) 7 years ago this week. Believe it or not, last week was the first time we ventured down to TV. We were furniture shopping just up the road and figured...why not, the worst thing that can happen is we get a quick STD (just kidding, kind of). I must say, just driving a few miles and checking out only 1 town center, then reading how many pools, activities, more pools and did I mention pools? My wife and I both said....OK, we need to check this out more. Of course she went to the most reliable news source she knows, TikTok, to gather Intel. We travel to Jamaica and Bahamas nonstop with some Costa Rica and Egypt thrown in here and there and have been thinking how.much money we would save if we got a 2nd home somewhere closer, that we don't despise (like we do Gainesville), and actually have fun every week if we want to. So here we are. Thinking about a LS visit in a week or 2, but don't want to be ALLLLLL the way down south, and that maybe just renting something centrally located in TV for a few days. But really, as long as there are pools just a golf car ride away, location doesn't matter. Been looking in the "historic" areas that have mobiles because we don't need to be all fancy like and if we decide we don't like it that much, or we love it and want a house without wheels, we can sell it.

I've been looking through the forum here trying to spot the negatives and such. There was really only one thing that caught my attention, and maybe you fine folks can educate me. There seems to be quite a few MPD (morality police dept.) officers. Yes, part of that comes from the post about the movie playing in one of the cinemas. We are not PC people, we have foul mouths sometimes (Ok, most of the time), we listen to vulgar music and watch violent movies. Most importantly, we want to just enjoy life, have fun, and be around people who feel the same. Yes, I threw that Oxford comma in there for those of you who are fans of them.

Wow, I've been rambling for hours already, that explains why my fingers hurt. Anyway, I'm sure quite a few already dislike me, and maybe others are thinking.....I finally found my spirit animal!

Maybe we'll see some of you when we come visit here shortly.

/end:babbling

Stu from NYC 09-18-2023 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arancampas (Post 2258340)
For those of you who love to hear someone babble on and on about, who know what....this ones for you!
So we moved to Gainesville (Yes, I know, any and all pity is welcomed) 7 years ago this week. Believe it or not, last week was the first time we ventured down to TV. We were furniture shopping just up the road and figured...why not, the worst thing that can happen is we get a quick STD (just kidding, kind of). I must say, just driving a few miles and checking out only 1 town center, then reading how many pools, activities, more pools and did I mention pools? My wife and I both said....OK, we need to check this out more. Of course she went to the most reliable news source she knows, TikTok, to gather Intel. We travel to Jamaica and Bahamas nonstop with some Costa Rica and Egypt thrown in here and there and have been thinking how.much money we would save if we got a 2nd home somewhere closer, that we don't despise (like we do Gainesville), and actually have fun every week if we want to. So here we are. Thinking about a LS visit in a week or 2, but don't want to be ALLLLLL the way down south, and that maybe just renting something centrally located in TV for a few days. But really, as long as there are pools just a golf car ride away, location doesn't matter. Been looking in the "historic" areas that have mobiles because we don't need to be all fancy like and if we decide we don't like it that much, or we love it and want a house without wheels, we can sell it.

I've been looking through the forum here trying to spot the negatives and such. There was really only one thing that caught my attention, and maybe you fine folks can educate me. There seems to be quite a few MPD (morality police dept.) officers. Yes, part of that comes from the post about the movie playing in one of the cinemas. We are not PC people, we have foul mouths sometimes (Ok, most of the time), we listen to vulgar music and watch violent movies. Most importantly, we want to just enjoy life, have fun, and be around people who feel the same. Yes, I threw that Oxford comma in there for those of you who are fans of them.

Wow, I've been rambling for hours already, that explains why my fingers hurt. Anyway, I'm sure quite a few already dislike me, and maybe others are thinking.....I finally found my spirit animal!

The folks who complained about the movie are thankfully in a very very small minority

Arancampas 09-18-2023 07:30 PM

That's great to hear!

OrangeBlossomBaby 09-18-2023 08:01 PM

The "mobiles" aren't actually mobile. No wheels. They are manufactured homes that were rolled in, and then secured (tied down is the technical term) to the land. You own the land and the dwelling. Most of the original single-wides have been replaced by more modern double-wides, modulars, and "site-built" homes. Many of the first batch of double-wides were replaced by updated versions, modulars, or site-builts, including wood frame and block and stucco.

As for the MPD - don't let the geezers fool ya. They might not say the bad words out loud but you bet your sweet bippie they know how to pronounce them. They just get their jollies out of pretending to be "better", when everyone knows they'll be wearing Depends just like everyone else some day (if they aren't already).

Arancampas 09-18-2023 08:29 PM

I was just joking about the wheels. It does seem that most people are more normal in real life than they portray online. Question, do some residents just put up sale signs instead of listing on Zillow etc? Just wondering if it would be worthwhile scooting around looking.

frayedends 09-19-2023 04:42 AM

I just bought a house in Lake Denham. I won't be able to live there for a few years as we still work. We aren't renting it out, so no one needs to attack me on the airbnb crap. :D

But anyhow I like metal music, horror movies and plenty of classic cocktails (or a beer, or a vodka soda when I'm trying to stay keto). I'm not a vulgar person. I have strong conservative values. But if you want talk horror movies and drop some F bombs I'm perfectly okay with it. :D

Did they ever find out what that move was?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arancampas (Post 2258361)
I was just joking about the wheels. It does seem that most people are more normal in real life than they portray online. Question, do some residents just put up sale signs instead of listing on Zillow etc? Just wondering if it would be worthwhile scooting around looking.

Signs are only allowed to be like 1 foot tall and wide. They are put in a window, so it's not easy to just drive around and see for sale signs. Most anyone that has a realtor will have a listing on MLS, meaning you will find it on Zillow. If they are selling through the Villages, they will be posted on VLS (thevillages.com). There you can search new or pre-existing homes, and home sites that aren't built yet.

Papa_lecki 09-19-2023 04:58 AM

Best bet are the apps. Zillow has the FSBO as well as MLS listings. Villages app has Villages new and pre owned listings. Use the filter feature to help find what you;re looking for.
Then drive around and look for open houses. Most open houses are during the day during the week.

Arancampas 09-19-2023 07:13 AM

[QUOTE=frayedends;2258390]I just bought a house in Lake Denham. I won't be able to live there for a few years as we still work. We aren't renting it out, so no one needs to attack me on the airbnb crap. :D

But anyhow I like metal music, horror movies and plenty of classic cocktails (or a beer, or a vodka soda when I'm trying to stay keto). I'm not a vulgar person. I have strong conservative values. But if you want talk horror movies and drop some F bombs I'm perfectly okay with it. :D

Did they ever find out what the movie was?

Yeah, I avoided mentioning renting it out on occasion when we aren't there!

I don't remember if the movie was revealed or not, but if it was in theaters, it clearly wasn't THAT bad.

Boomer 09-19-2023 10:30 AM

OP,

That’s some seriously stream of consciousness writing — but kind of fun to read.

I do so love the Oxford comma, but as a multi-faceted woman, I am well aware that I bastardize the hellouta punctuation sometimes in my posts. ‘Aware’ is the operative word there.

Your mention of punctuation reminded me of that 2006 book, Eats, Shoots and Leaves, so I just ordered it — 8 bucks now on Amazon.

Boomer

Arancampas 09-19-2023 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomer (Post 2258598)
OP,

That’s some seriously stream of consciousness writing — but kind of fun to read.

I do so love the Oxford comma, but as a multi-faceted woman, I am well aware that I bastardize the hellouta punctuation sometimes in my posts. ‘Aware’ is the operative word there.

Your mention of punctuation reminded me of that 2006 book, Eats, Shoots and Leaves, so I just ordered it — 8 bucks now on Amazon.

Boomer

I'm at the point where I just try to have fun and not take life, or myself too seriously. Our employees joke around that if we ever need to fire them, they will think I'm joking because I'm not nearly as serious about things anymore.

Ellwoodrick 09-20-2023 04:31 AM

Welcome, my wife and I just bought in March of this year. We actually found an Agent putting up an Open House sign and followed her to the home. We are in the Northern part of the Villages handy to Spanish Springs and the Sharon Center. We did prefer the older more mature neighborhoods. Now having been in the Real Estate business for over 30 years in Pennsylvania I wasn't a newbie to buying and selling. Florida can be like the old West in my opinion. We were lucky enough to stumble on a home the size we wanted, 3 year old Roof (very important) and a paid off Bond. Very important issues. I don't mind doing minor renovations such as painting and such. My advice do your homework, lots of homework before you pull the trigger and good luck.

MandoMan 09-20-2023 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arancampas (Post 2258340)

It is in the nature of many old folks to complain, and this is one of the outlets for such complaints. There are others who always look on the sunny side. Don’t assume, though, that the “morality police” make up a very large percentage of us. Also, don’t assume that you will ever meet anyone here with an STD. A UTI, yes, but not an STD. 99.9% of us never stray or play around. By all means check out the Historic Villages, or the very nice areas between 441/27 and 466 or 466A. Use Zillow on your iPad to look at the many beautiful houses that are available (while remembering that those super wide angle camera lenses make rooms look much bigger than they really are and make houses look brighter inside than they may actually be, thanks to long exposures).

Nell57 09-20-2023 05:53 AM

Welcome! You are obviously a well spoken and bright man. You found TOTV. +++
You will figure out this place pretty quick, and love it here.
I do think you get the most bang for your buck in the Historic area. And you are truly a golf cart ride to everything. As people have mentioned, the real estate market there is updating…it’s really a gem.
You will soon notice that everyone loves their area, and wouldn’t want to be anywhere else. It’s a never ending discussion on this forum.
We have over 2000 clubs here. Follow your interests and you’ll soon feel at home.
We don’t have a Fowl Letter Word Club, but you can start one.

MidWestIA 09-20-2023 06:04 AM

Villager

Taking advantage of the villages to me is 20 min in a cart and you can get to several stores, restaurants and golf courses. 40 min even Walmart or Lowes longer over hwy 27. You don't golf NOW but it's everywhere and your neighbors will probably convince you to play at least exec courses with them. That means above hwy 44. Other than that I'd say come down and get in a few different house styles to feel that layout and if you have 2 cars you will regret not getting a 2 car plus golf cart garage

I had a house here then went to north Dallas came back then went to north Dallas in the spring. I love north Dallas and said I am going to move back then I stopped and said but what will I do here. If you spend some time here you will realize no place has as many things to do AND people like us to do it with. In north Dallas most of my Del Webb were working or babysitting during the day

ndf888 09-20-2023 06:31 AM

Rental options

Rentals:
‘VRBO’ (expensive) https://www.****.com/vacation-rental...o/the-villages
Developer’s site (largest selection): Homes for rent in The Villages community of Florida - Pet friendly homes for rent | Home Property Management
Villagers Homes 4 Rent (VH4R) VH4R Home Rentals in The Villages Florida The Villages Rentals
VillagesForRent (managed) Couture Properties, LLC - Property Management & The Villages Rentals
Our Villages Rental https://*****************.com/ - we used it twice
Rent from a Villager: https://www.rentfromavillager.com/
Lofts/apartments: https://www.thevillages.com/thelofts/availability