Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   COMPUTER, ELECTRONICS, TELEVISION & MOBILE DIRECTORY (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-electronics-television-mobile-directory-207/)
-   -   High school student needs a computer (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-electronics-television-mobile-directory-207/high-school-student-needs-computer-344268/)

curly top 09-20-2023 11:49 AM

High school student needs a computer

I am trying to help a student with his science project.
Can you tell me if there is somewhere that we could rent or borrow
Or buy a used one if not too expensive the following computer needs for him.

I am quoting his email because he’s the computer geek not me!

According to the software I am planning to use, the requirements for simulations are any CPU that is "Pentium® 4 2.0 GHZ or Athlon® 2000+ or faster, 64-bit (x64) processor",
It also asks for 8 gb of RAM (memory), for the graphics, it asks for "A dedicated NVIDIA GPU card", any NVIDIA cards after 2013 perhaps work.
The website also states that this graphics card (GPU) should have at least 4 gb RAM and recommended 8 gb.
Finally, for space it asks for a minimum 25 gb of storage in a hard drive, this is found in almost any computer by default.
Any amount of time to use this computer would be appreciated, an optimal time period would be about 2-4 months.

As you can see this is a dedicated student who needs support in finding the computer. Thank you

cjrjck 09-20-2023 03:45 PM

I assume he is looking for a desktop? And this may sound bad, but how do you know it is a legitimate request?

ThirdOfFive 09-20-2023 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curly top (Post 2258900)

According to the software I am planning to use, the requirements for simulations are any CPU that is "Pentium® 4 2.0 GHZ or Athlon® 2000+ or faster, 64-bit (x64) processor",
It also asks for 8 gb of RAM (memory), for the graphics, it asks for "A dedicated NVIDIA GPU card", any NVIDIA cards after 2013 perhaps work.
The website also states that this graphics card (GPU) should have at least 4 gb RAM and recommended 8 gb.
Finally, for space it asks for a minimum 25 gb of storage in a hard drive, this is found in almost any computer by default.
Any amount of time to use this computer would be appreciated, an optimal time period would be about 2-4 months.

As you can see this is a dedicated student who needs support in finding the computer. Thank you

My knowledge of computers isn't expensive but as far as I know those specs are pretty old. The Pentium® 4 2.0 GHZ first hit the market in 2004.

Jima72 09-20-2023 04:34 PM

Basic needs

This looks like a list of very basic computer needs for a system. Nothing fancy or state of the arts, just something to be able to handle the work, thtas why some of it is old or outdated.maybe someone has a system packed away and not using it anymore.

retiredguy123 09-20-2023 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjrjck (Post 2258953)
I assume he is looking for a desktop? And this may sound bad, but how do you know it is a legitimate request?

Our country spends more money per student on education than almost any other country, and a high school student doesn't have a computer. Really? Why?

Topspinmo 09-20-2023 04:51 PM

My computer hard drives and memory cards get smashed with hammer anything I’ve done online in that computer somewhere. I will not risk chance of my information being exposed no matter how good the cause.

Topspinmo 09-20-2023 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jima72 (Post 2258960)
This looks like a list of very basic computer needs for a system. Nothing fancy or state of the arts, just something to be able to handle the work, thtas why some of it is old or outdated.maybe someone has a system packed away and not using it anymore.

Plenty on eBay and any used electronics store.

redwing1 09-20-2023 05:07 PM

High school student needs a computer

Try contacting one of the computer clubs (PC or Mac) in TV.

Bogie Shooter 09-20-2023 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curly top (Post 2258900)

“I am quoting his email because he’s the computer geek not me!l”
This needs a little more explanation…………..

spinner1001 09-20-2023 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 2258961)
Our country spends more money per student on education than almost any other country, and a high school student doesn't have a computer. Really? Why?

When K-12 schools provide a dedicated computer to each student in the USA, they typically get a Chromebook because of lower initial cost and lower ongoing cost for IT support compared to alternatives such as a MacBook. Perhaps this student needs more than a Chromebook.

spinner1001 09-20-2023 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redwing1 (Post 2258968)
Try contacting one of the computer clubs (PC or Mac) in TV.

This seems like the best solution in this case.

OrangeBlossomBaby 09-20-2023 06:31 PM

What his e-mail is asking for, is what "students" were asking for in the late 2000-early 2010's online. He's basically asking for a machine that isn't even supported anymore by current operating systems. Unless he's planning on loading Linux in it, which is possible of course. But Win10 wouldn't work on it, and Win11 can't even be loaded on it.

KCAlan 09-21-2023 04:39 AM

Look at refurbished laptops at:
Newegg.com
Dell.com
Amazon.com

JoelJohnson 09-21-2023 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinmo (Post 2258965)
My computer hard drives and memory cards get smashed with hammer ������ anything I’ve done online in that computer somewhere. I will not risk chance of my information being exposed no matter how good the cause.

Memory cards do not store data. As soon as the power goes off the memory card is erased.
Another choice is to convert the computer to use Linux. The hard drive is completely erased in the process and the computer can be used by someone else. Even old computers work like new with Linux.

BlueStarAirlines 09-21-2023 06:17 AM

There are computers to use for free at Sumter County public libraries.