Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Do It Yourself (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/do-yourself-210/)
-   -   Redoing our TV/Cable/Internet (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/do-yourself-210/redoing-our-tv-cable-internet-345465/)

mdmurrell 11-15-2023 08:52 AM

Redoing our TV/Cable/Internet

After doing some preliminary research, it seems the biggest bang for the buck for my wife and I will be to use Centric for our internet ($50 a month) plus Philo for streaming ($25 a month). However, we may still not get local news. So my question is, who would we contact to get someone to install an old-fashioned antenna in our attic? Please advise.
Thanks,
Michael Murrell Marsh Bend

Topspinmo 11-15-2023 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdmurrell (Post 2274820)
After doing some preliminary research, it seems the biggest bang for the buck for my wife and I will be to use Centric for our internet ($50 a month) plus Philo for streaming ($25 a month). However, we may still not get local news. So my question is, who would we contact to get someone to install an old-fashioned antenna in our attic? Please advise.
Thanks,

I would look at Roku initial investment no monthly charges if you don’t upgrade and if has channels you want?

Pinball wizard 11-15-2023 11:49 AM

Quote:

Thanks,

I believe that both HULU Live and Youtube Live carry local stations.

Babubhat 11-15-2023 01:43 PM

Xfinity run internet only only promotions for as low as $25 month first year. Buy your own equipment. Costs about 100

villagetinker 11-15-2023 01:47 PM

OP, depending on where you live OTA (Over The Air) television may be very limited, I have an 80 mile rated antenna, with an amplifier and cannot get Orlando reliably. One day I get 65+ channels and the next I am luck if I get 10 , this is with the antenna OUTSIDE and I am sure reception will be worse inside the attic.
As noted above, do some investigation as I recall there are streaming services for local stations.

retiredguy123 11-15-2023 02:01 PM

According to "suppose.tv", the cheapest way to get the live local channels, ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX, is with Xfinity for $43.15 per month. That service also includes about 43 other channels.

gbs317 11-16-2023 05:36 AM

Quote:

Thanks,

We use a free app on our smart tv called Haystacks News. It gives us wesh 2 news for central FL plus other networks. I’m not sure though if that is a LG tv exclusive or not. Check your smart tv’s “App Store” there might be something comparable.

crash 11-16-2023 06:55 AM

Quote:

Thanks,

A fire stick has local news channels only cost is for the stick no monthly charges.

Mike&Silvia 11-16-2023 07:00 AM

That is exactly right. I went to Best Buy recently to buy an antenna and was discouraged to do so because of the limited range of reception.

huge-pigeons 11-16-2023 07:11 AM

Good pick on the internet service, fiber is the best option. Why not get the centric tv service too? We had philo and youtube tv and got rid of them within 4 months.
Roku is just a piece of hardware that allows you to run apps/services on it, no different than using Apple TV 4K boxes or a firestick, you will still need to subscribe to tv packages.
Check with your cell phone carrier because some of them have deals/specials with tv services. For example, we get Apple TV+, paramount+, Netflix for free, $5 off philo, and we got $10 or $15 off YouTube tv thru our cell phone carrier.

DonnaNi4os 11-16-2023 07:21 AM

If you have a smart tv you can download “very local” which is NBC’s local network. I’m assuming you can get it on ROKU also or you can download the app to your smartphone and then stream it to your tv. I’ve been hoping that CBS would do the same but so far no luck.

Nell57 11-16-2023 07:31 AM

When I started with YouTubeTV it was $45 . It is now $82.50. I don’t have any “add-on” packages.
I’ll keep it through football season, then I’ll drop it again.
I really only watch about 6 channels.
I’m thinking about just downloading each of those apps.
I live in Sunset Pointe and was also advised not to spend $$ on an OTA.
I always enjoy these threads and hearing what everyone else is doing.

True Blue 11-16-2023 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crash (Post 2275054)
A fire stick has local news channels only cost is for the stick no monthly charges.

Through what app on the Firestick do you watch local news channels? As someone else stated a Firestick (or Roku) is “just a piece of hardware that allows you to run apps/services on it”.

Desiderata 11-16-2023 07:52 AM

Quote:

Thanks,

I watch local news on a free app called Tubi.

midiwiz 11-16-2023 07:54 AM

this thread is hilarious, appreciate the chuckles this morning