Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Sixty years ago today (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/sixty-years-ago-today-345610/)

Rainger99 11-22-2023 04:31 AM

Sixty years ago today

If you are 65 or older, you remember what you were doing when you heard the news.

What We Know and Still Don’t Know about JFK’s Assassination | TIME

Two Bills 11-22-2023 05:21 AM

I had just got home from three years overseas in military, was watching tv at home when news flash came up about assassination.
Went into kitchen and told my mother and brother, but they thought I was making it up. Had a job convincing them.
It was such a shock and BIG news.

If some leader got bumped off today, probably wouldn't bother to get out of my chair.
Different world today.

patfla06 11-22-2023 10:26 AM

I was home from grade school sick and I remember my Mom was
shocked and crying.

charlieo1126@gmail.com 11-22-2023 11:03 AM

///////////////

Arctic Fox 11-22-2023 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainger99 (Post 2276451)
If you are 65 or older, you remember what you were doing when you heard the news.

I do recall there being a grassy knoll in the equation.

Gpsma 11-22-2023 11:32 AM

Was in Mrs Riley,s third grade class in a catholic grammar school. The principal came over tge loud speaker and told us tge president had been shot. She then had us all pray. Before we were dismissed, she came back on and informed us he had been killed.

The one thing that i will never forget was walking home after we were dismissed. Normally there would have been loads of people in the streets. It was totally empty. All inside glued to the tv. It was a very eerie feeling walking home

Ecuadog 11-22-2023 02:48 PM

I was walking across campus by the dorms. People were hanging out the windows, shouting.

alwann 11-22-2023 03:40 PM

60 years ago

I was working at the college radio station and did one of those "we interrupt this broadcast" announcements. Six months earlier JFK gave the commencement address at my school and I was close enough to see him perspire in the June heat. A few months after that, I was on the crew that covered Dr. King's speech at the Lincoln Memorial. I've seen some history. I'm not sure I want to see what comes next.

Topspinmo 11-22-2023 03:43 PM

Was in 6th grade.

alwann 11-22-2023 03:44 PM

60 years ago

I was working at the college radio station and did one of those "we interrupt this broadcast" announcements. Six months earlier JFK gave the commencement address at my school, and I was close enough to see him perspire in the June heat. A few months after that, I was on the crew that covered Dr. King's speech at the Lincoln Memorial. I've seen some history. I'm not sure I want to be around to see what might come next.

manaboutown 11-22-2023 08:02 PM

I was walking from class at UNM to my fraternity house. Walking toward me on the same path were several coeds bawling their eyes out. I asked them what was wrong and they gave me the sad news. When I arrived at my frat house the TV room was full of good brothers watching the news. I spent the rest of the day there. A short time prior I had seen him in possibly the same limo in which he was shot, top down, driving up Central Ave (old Route 66) adjoining the campus waving at folks on the sidewalk. He was on a visit to Sandia Labs. JFK cruised Route 66 in Albuquerque - Route 66 News

asianthree 11-22-2023 08:36 PM

Elementary sent home, mom didn’t work, dad sent all his employees home, and didn’t return to work until after the funeral. TV was only allowed on Sunday for Disney, was on nonstop for the funeral.

Cupcake57 11-22-2023 09:39 PM

I came home from Kindergarten and my mom was crying her eyes out and saying "He's the only Democrat I ever voted for and they shot him!"

toeser 11-23-2023 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainger99 (Post 2276451)

What We Know and Still Don’t Know about JFK’s Assassination | TIME

I don't know about you, but I remember practically nothing from when I was five.

But, I was in college when it happened and remember it well.

Marmaduke 11-23-2023 07:01 AM

I was in 3rd Grade, Catholic school. The Principal, who was a nun, came to each homeroom and told us the President had been shot and we would be going home early. We prayed for President Kennedy before we were dismissed.
Prior, there was much excitement from the nuns because Kennedy was the only Catholic President elected in our nation's history.

My Dad worked at our City's Newspaper, a Scripp's Howard publisher. He had to stay until the afternoon edition was out, but he was always home by 3pm as we arrived home from school. What a great job he had, working from
7-3 and always being home for dinner. It was a simpler time, wasn't it?!

Our entire family sat glued to the TV watching Walter Cronkite that fall day.

Months before, my entire family was on the Ohio River Blvd. throwing confetti and holding signs which said, "We Love You", as Kennedy sat on the back of a convertable and waved to the crowd coming from the Pittsburgh Airport to an affair in Downtown. He pointed directly at me and acknowledged my sign, made by my mom.

5 Years later, we would be in front of the same TV watching Walter Cronkite show us footage from the jungles of Viet Nam.

From 8 years old to 13, I knew what it was like to strongly love, then vehemently dislike a President and his policies.