Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Solar Golf Car makes US Debut at CES 2024 in Las Vegas (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/solar-golf-car-makes-us-debut-ces-2024-las-vegas-346051/)

sowtime444 12-12-2023 08:05 AM

Solar Golf Car makes US Debut at CES 2024 in Las Vegas

SQUAD Solar Buggy at CES 2024 | Squad Mobility

JGVillages 12-12-2023 08:25 AM

States a 62 mile range. If you're using it on the golf course, in the sun, wouldn't the batteries keep charging as your driving, thus extending that mile range?

Two Bills 12-12-2023 08:35 AM

I'll bet 55% to 45% negative over positive posts!:icon_wink:

Fredster 12-12-2023 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Two Bills (Post 2281788)
I'll bet 55% to 45% negative over positive posts!:icon_wink:

I like it!….the design is very nice and functional, plus it’s not made in China.
Wish it were available now to check out!

Two Bills 12-12-2023 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredster (Post 2281807)
I like it!….the design is very nice and functional, plus it’s not made in China.
Wish it were available now to check out!

So do I.
There is however a big lobby on TOTV, that have an aversion to anything mobile powered by a battery!

Keefelane66 12-12-2023 09:28 AM

Seems 62 miles of driving very reasonable but the naysayers will want 75 then 100 miles to a charge.

bopat 12-12-2023 09:28 AM

Looks good until you realize how tiny it is, about 1/2 the size of a regular golf cart. Watch the video, you'll see a guy walk up to it:

Shop | Squad Mobility

Bill14564 12-12-2023 10:48 AM

The four swappable and portable batteries provide a range of 100 km/62 mi excluding solar. With an average solar range of 13 miles per day in a city such as Las Vegas, most users will find that charging is not even necessary.
Does that mean a battery swap is required every 15 miles? I hope "portable" means you carry the three additional batteries with you so you don't have to go home every time you need a swap.

It will be interesting to see what the real-world solar range is here in Florida with clouds, trees, and garages.

Two Bills 12-12-2023 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bopat (Post 2281836)
Looks good until you realize how tiny it is, about 1/2 the size of a regular golf cart. Watch the video, you'll see a guy walk up to it:

Shop | Squad Mobility

Article stated a larger version is in the pipeline.

JGibson 12-12-2023 10:54 AM

How fast does it go? I need it to reach 30 MPH so I can speed to my tee time.

frayedends 12-12-2023 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keefelane66 (Post 2281834)
Seems 62 miles of driving very reasonable but the naysayers will want 75 then 100 miles to a charge.

That mileage is a bit misleading. Sitting in the sun and charging it can charge enough to go 12-22 km (7.5-13.7 miles) per day. You will need to charge the batteries by plugging them in to go 62 miles per day. The entire concept that it is a solar vehicle is based on using it very little and leaving charging in the sun for the full day.

From the FAQ... "How long does it take to fully charge the battery?

We get this question a lot and of course we understand the question. However, a solar car works bit different than a normal EV. The Squad charges each day and every day throughout its lifetime. When the battery is full, you can't charge anymore, which would be a shame of course. Ideally you would find a balance between your daily usage and the solar charge. The average usage of micro cars is around 12 km per day and the panel can charge up to 22 km per day, validated in the Netherlands and up to 31 km in Spain, so for most users, in most occasions, this will be significant."

"Does the Squad only work when the sun is shining?

The Squad is a solar electric vehicle which charges the battery through the solar panel on the roof of the car. Alternatively the batteries can be charged directly on a regular power plug or a charge point. The swappable batteries can also be charged externally of the car."

frayedends 12-12-2023 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill14564 (Post 2281859)
The four swappable and portable batteries provide a range of 100 km/62 mi excluding solar. With an average solar range of 13 miles per day in a city such as Las Vegas, most users will find that charging is not even necessary.
Does that mean a battery swap is required every 15 miles? I hope "portable" means you carry the three additional batteries with you so you don't have to go home every time you need a swap.

It will be interesting to see what the real-world solar range is here in Florida with clouds, trees, and garages.

You need to go home unless your spouse has a mobile Squad battery charging station.

Swappable Batteries
Keeping the fleet charged is a large operating expense for EV sharing platforms . Automatic solar charging offers a daily decrease of these costs and this will improve with advancing technology in the years to come, both solar PV, battery and powertrain efficiency.
Squad supports the solar charging with a swappable battery system where fleet owners and managers can quickly swap batteries with the help of the mobile or stationary Squad battery charging station.
Ultimately, the Squad can also be charged directly from the grid or charging infrastructure.

Bill14564 12-12-2023 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JGibson (Post 2281862)
How fast does it go? I need it to reach 30 MPH so I can speed to my tee time.

According to the website (link above) the L6 will go 45km/h and the L7 can go 70km/h

Maker 12-12-2023 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill14564 (Post 2281859)

Vehicle has 4 battery slots. No need to swap anything for the 62 mile full range.
If you carried 3 extra batteries, in addition to the 4 already plugged in, your range would be 100+ miles

Here it would get charged well, excluding the rainy season and bad weather. There will be many people who could avoid ever plugging it in. But it will not solar charge if in a garage.

Interesting thing is the L7 speed is 70 km/h. That's 43mph. This thing is designed for street usage.

PersonOfInterest 12-13-2023 04:30 AM

I don't see any Golf bag racks. Looks like its made for Urban, street travel more than 'Golf Cart' vehicle.

$6250 in U.S. dollars, but probably $12,500 Villages price