Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Computer questions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/)
-   -   Microsoft office for IPAD (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/microsoft-office-ipad-346376/)

villagetinker 12-27-2023 08:59 PM

Microsoft office for IPAD

I spent 1/2 hour+ on chat with MS and finally gave up.

My wife got a new IPAD to replace a W10 PC, she wants Office on the new PC, there should be a way to download the apple version of office and use her existing KEY to activate the product. MS chat had no idea of how to do this, so if any one can help, please let me know. Will pay for onsite help.
Thank you.

photo1902 12-27-2023 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 2285956)

My wife got a new IPAD to replace a W10 PC, she wants Office on the new PC, there should be a way to download the apple version of office and use her existing KEY to activate the product. MS chat had no idea of how to do this, so if any one can help, please let me know. Will pay for onsite help.
Thank you.

Buy Microsoft 365 and you can download it on Apple, Mac and Windows. Doubt you can use the existing key

CarlR33 12-27-2023 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photo1902 (Post 2285959)
Buy Microsoft 365 and you can download it on Apple, Mac and Windows. Doubt you can use the existing key

Correct, windows and Mac do not play together with the same software. See one thread i found from a search. Hope this helps

Redirecting

villagetinker 12-27-2023 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photo1902 (Post 2285959)

We have no use for the cloud storage and the associated yearly fees, we both have single price installs, mine went for over 10 years before they stopped support, hers has several years left on it. The MS website indicates their software can be transferred to new computers. While the W10/11 versions are different between windows and apple products, it is my understanding the license is transferrable between the brands.

MrChip72 12-27-2023 09:41 PM

Just use the Google suite of apps (Docs, Sheets, Slides, etc) that perform the same function. They're actually superior in a lot of ways, not even taking into account that they're FREE.

I'm a 30+ year software professional and ditched all Microsoft stuff around 20 years ago.

Papa_lecki 12-27-2023 09:50 PM

Microsoft went to a software as a service model (SAAS) Microsoft 365 mentioned above.- vs downloading software.

Compare All Microsoft 365 Plans (Formerly Office 365) - Microsoft Store

tophcfa 12-27-2023 09:51 PM

We have Microsoft word and excel on our Mac desktop PC, but unfortunately I have not had success loading them on the operating system on my IPad. I believe the OS on the IPad is configured as a Mobil device OS and is not compatible. Hopefully I am wrong?

Papa_lecki 12-27-2023 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 2285969)
We have no use for the cloud storage and the associated yearly fees, we both have single price installs, mine went for over 10 years before they stopped support, hers has several years left on it. The MS website indicates their software can be transferred to new computers. While the W10/11 versions are different between windows and apple products, it is my understanding the license is transferrable between the brands.

You wont be able to transfer the software to an iPad. Only way to get MS on iPad is with MS 365.

photo1902 12-27-2023 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa_lecki (Post 2285974)
You wont be able to transfer the software to an iPad. Only way to get MS on iPad is with MS 365.

Bingo

Keefelane66 12-27-2023 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 2285956)

Thank you.

Collabora Office on the App Store

Try this free read what it does b4 install

retiredguy123 12-27-2023 11:15 PM

I don't know much about IPADs, but as I understand it, MS Office is not a stand alone software product. It uses Windows as a template for the MS Office software. So, you usually need the Windows program as a template. They do sell an MS Office product for Apple computers, but I don't know if it is compatible with tablets vs computers because they use different operating systems.

I subscribe to Microsoft 365 for $69.99 per year. It comes with 1TB of cloud storage and allows you to use the latest Office programs on any device anywhere, and you always have access to your files and software as long as you have an Internet connection. I have been very satisfied with Microsoft 365.

Blackie 12-28-2023 07:59 AM

Word and Excel are available (free) as individual apps for the iPad from the Apple App Store.

The Apple equivalents are Pages and Numbers and they should be already loaded on the iPad.

villagetinker 12-28-2023 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackie (Post 2286031)
Word and Excel are available (free) as individual apps for the iPad from the Apple App Store.

The Apple equivalents are Pages and Numbers and they should be already loaded on the iPad.

WOW, thank you, I will check these out as these are the only 2 programs she needs.

As for other replies, I never intended to actually transfer the Windows version to the Apple product, I wanted to down load the stand alone version for the Apple product and use her current license to activate it.

In my research about a month ago I did find stand alone versions that were priced around $250 with NO cloud storage, so after about 4 years these cost less and we have no need for cloud storage.

Pugchief 12-28-2023 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrChip72 (Post 2285970)
Just use the Google suite of apps (Docs, Sheets, Slides, etc) that perform the same function. They're actually superior in a lot of ways, not even taking into account that they're FREE.

I'm a 30+ year software professional and ditched all Microsoft stuff around 20 years ago.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keefelane66 (Post 2285977)

Collabora is based on LibreOffice, which I had used at home and for my small business for over 20 years. Excellent software, free for all use, and as an added bonus, no money goes to MS.

Although nowadays, I pretty much use only Google Docs like MrChip.

MrChip72 12-28-2023 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pugchief (Post 2286139)
Although nowadays, I pretty much use only Google Docs like MrChip.

I have several documents that I share with my spouse, also some that is shared between multiple family members. Nice that any of us can update these documents from any of our own computers or smartphones at any time. Actually I can update them using voice if I wanted to. Great for shared grocery lists, coordinating a potluck dinner, and of course Docs and Sheets work great for standard document/spreadsheet stuff.