Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Current Events and News (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/current-events-news-541/)
-   -   No more cashless businesses (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/current-events-news-541/no-more-cashless-businesses-346535/)

shut the front door 01-03-2024 04:25 PM

No more cashless businesses

if it passes. I hope it does. I had to whip out a credit card to pay for a $1 bag of chips recently and it did not make me happy.

"Refusing cash payments could become illegal for most Florida businesses in 2024 under legislation sponsored by state Sen. Shevrin Jones, a Miami-Dade County Democrat, and state Rep. Joel Rudman, a Panhandle Republican."

Florida May Stop Businesses from Going Cashless

CFrance 01-03-2024 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shut the front door (Post 2287744)
if it passes. I hope it does. I had to whip out a credit card to pay for a $1 bag of chips recently and it did not make me happy.

"Refusing cash payments could become illegal for most Florida businesses in 2024 under legislation sponsored by state Sen. Shevrin Jones, a Miami-Dade County Democrat, and state Rep. Joel Rudman, a Panhandle Republican."

Fingers crossed that it passes. Bi-partisan sponsorship might help. I hope they also include something making it illegal for businesses to refuse to make change. Although that will probably make businesses raise prices to the next dollar.

OrangeBlossomBaby 01-03-2024 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance (Post 2287745)
Fingers crossed that it passes. Bi-partisan sponsorship might help. I hope they also include something making it illegal for businesses to refuse to make change. Although that will probably make businesses raise prices to the next dollar.

Yeah if they don't /have/ the change - small businesses can easily get stuck in that situation - then what? When there's a sign right on the cash register that says "we need singles!" and someone pays for their 89-cent candybar with a $5 bill - then the store should feel free to give the customer their change in penny rolls.

Boffin 01-03-2024 04:55 PM

Nope

Quote:

Cashless is the way to go.

Pugchief 01-03-2024 05:02 PM

Quote:

I find this ironic. Everything I have heard/read in the last 3 years involved moving toward a cashless society. You know, so that every single transaction can be monitored and taxed. And also so that they can turn off your ability to buy things if you don't behave. AKA the CCP model.

retiredguy123 01-03-2024 05:13 PM

The only store that I know of in The Villages that does not accept cash is the Darlin’s Sweet Shoppe in Sawgrass Grove.

Bill14564 01-03-2024 05:15 PM

More "freedoms" for businesses in Florida.

(customers already have the freedom to patronize an establishment with policies more to their liking)

ThirdOfFive 01-03-2024 05:41 PM

Maybe those "cashless" businesses should read the fine print on a dollar bill.

frayedends 01-03-2024 06:00 PM

And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

badkarma318 01-03-2024 06:05 PM

Anyone who wants a cashless society is asleep, and has no idea what's really behind that push, nor what's really going on in the world.

JoMar 01-03-2024 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boffin (Post 2287751)
Cashless is the way to go.

Agree, prefer using my phone to pay and more and more are starting to accept it. Cash is last resort.

shut the front door 01-03-2024 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badkarma318 (Post 2287764)
Anyone who wants a cashless society is asleep, and has no idea what's really behind that push, nor what's really going on in the world.

You got that right. I feel bad for them.

MrChip72 01-03-2024 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badkarma318 (Post 2287764)

Convenience, efficiency and safety is what's behind it. Not some sinister government conspiracy. Most of the world is going cashless since it's antiquated to use cash for everything other than private transactions or flea markets when it's easier and more secure to just tap a card.

If someone steals credit cards you can cancel them within minutes. If someone steals your cash, you don't have much recourse.

dwoodley1975 01-03-2024 07:12 PM

I hope it does not pass. Cashless is the way to go.

dwoodley1975 01-03-2024 07:13 PM

As the saying goes if you are not changing with time, you will be left behind.