Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Do It Yourself (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/do-yourself-210/)
-   -   Tip - Faucet Aerator Tool (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/do-yourself-210/tip-faucet-aerator-tool-346729/)

retiredguy123 01-10-2024 02:53 PM

Tip - Faucet Aerator Tool

If you haven't removed your faucet aerators in a long time, good luck, especially if you have a plastic "hidden" recessed aerator. These come with a round plastic tool for removal, but I spent several days trying unsuccessfully to remove two aerators. I had a plumber at my house doing another project and I asked him to remove it. He couldn't and suggested that I buy a new kitchen faucet. Today, I received this Danco tool from Amazon, and the aerator came right off.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CWM4PBX...roduct_details

Toymeister 01-10-2024 03:04 PM

In 40 years of home ownership and DIY experiences, I have never had an occasion to remove one.

I have a softner to avoid these hardwater problems.

photo1902 01-10-2024 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toymeister (Post 2289803)
In 40 years of home ownership and DIY experiences, I have never had an occasion to remove one.

Welcome to Florida. The hard water can absolutely clog aerators, and frequently removing and cleaning them is beneficial to water flow.

Keefelane66 01-10-2024 03:29 PM

If that Plummer didn't remove it trying to get you to buy a new faucet. Personally I would NOT hire them again.
Hope your recommendation will help others.

photo1902 01-10-2024 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keefelane66 (Post 2289812)
If that Plummer didn't remove it trying to get you to buy a new faucet. Personally I would NOT hire them again.

I've destroyed aerators in the process of trying to remove them. They are plastic, and can be a beyotch to remove. That being said, in most cases, they can be replaced, assuming the plumber (or homeowner) has the correct replacement.

retiredguy123 01-10-2024 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keefelane66 (Post 2289812)

I don't think he was trying to sell me a faucet. I was not going to pay him to replace the aerator or the faucet. But, I was happy to find a tool that provides enough torque to remove the aerator. The round plastic ones do not.

RPDaly 01-10-2024 06:46 PM

////

Michael G. 01-10-2024 06:52 PM

On the same subject I soak our shower head over night in vinegar
and what a difference it made.
It made the stream so much softer then before.

retiredguy123 01-10-2024 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael G. (Post 2289900)
On the same subject I soak our shower head over night in vinegar
and what a difference it made.
It made the stream so much softer then before.

Another way to do it is to use a 2 inch sewing needle. Stick the needle into each hole in the shower head and wiggle it. It takes about 2 minutes, and you will be amazed at how it improves the flow.

Laurawilcox 01-11-2024 06:00 AM

Never know when I might need one and haven’t made the add a water softener or not decision yet Toymeister, so one is on its way to tape under my sink as well. Thanks for the suggestion.

Remembergoldenrule 01-11-2024 06:43 AM

Thank you for letting us know about this tool. Also, thank you for needle and vinegar tips too!

Blackbird45 01-11-2024 07:01 AM

I'm not handy, but I sent for a replacement kit from Amazon, they sent me a replacement kit with a little plastic tool and a number of filters of different sizes. Once I found the size, I needed I replaced it within minutes and now just order the aerators I need for the bathroom and kitchen faucets. What I did find even though I have an expensive water filter for the whole house and my aerators do not get cloaked they do seem to get dirty. Call me delicate, but I don't want to be drinking that dirt water, so I change these aerators occasionally need it or not.

dolphin 01-11-2024 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photo1902 (Post 2289810)
Welcome to Florida. The hard water can absolutely clog aerators, and frequently removing and cleaning them is beneficial to water flow.

I agree. IMPOSSIBLE to remove. Same with plumber. Had new one installed. Bought identical faucet from Amazon. Discounted price.

retiredguy123 01-11-2024 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackbird45 (Post 2289988)
I'm not handy, but I sent for a replacement kit from Amazon, they sent me a replacement kit with a little plastic tool and a number of filters of different sizes. Once I found the size, I needed I replaced it within minutes and now just order the aerators I need for the bathroom and kitchen faucets. What I did find even though I have an expensive water filter for the whole house and my aerators do not get cloaked they do seem to get dirty. Call me delicate, but I don't want to be drinking that dirt water, so I change these aerators occasionally need it or not.

The plastic tool is fine as long as the aerator is not stuck. You can buy a set of 4 different sizes from Lowes. But, if the aerator is stuck, the plastic tool doesn't provide enough torque to unscrew the aerator.

petsetc 01-11-2024 07:40 AM

Before you try to remove, try spraying/splashing some vinegar on.