Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   92 year old mother (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/92-year-old-mother-347274/)

Philipd411 01-30-2024 02:55 PM

92 year old mother

editbyme

retiredguy123 01-30-2024 03:13 PM

As far as I know, Medicare only provides medical care, such as physical and occupational therapy, and other services directly related to a medical condition. You can get meal-on-wheels, if ordered by a doctor, but that is not a Medicare program.

Keefelane66 01-30-2024 03:18 PM

Medicare is for health needs not maid services.

Philipd411 01-30-2024 03:22 PM

editbyme

Philipd411 01-30-2024 03:25 PM

editbyme

retiredguy123 01-30-2024 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philipd411 (Post 2296632)
I can not bathe my mother, I can not dress my mother. Not asking for maid service. asking if medicare help provide in home care help for those who can not longer provide themselves that type of care. Sorry I was not clear enough

Medicare does not provide those services, even if you are in a nursing home or assisted living. If she is eligible for Medicaid, it is possible that those services could be available.

Philipd411 01-30-2024 03:46 PM

editbyme

retiredguy123 01-30-2024 03:50 PM

I think your sister is mistaken. Medicare is a health insurance program. If your mother doesn't have a specific medical condition, Medicare will not cover the tasks you mentioned, unless she is in a hospital or rehab facility. Good luck.

villagetinker 01-30-2024 04:27 PM

Try calling SHINE: SHINE - Home, they should be able to give you a straight answer, and have a list of resources for your mother.

eweissenbach 01-30-2024 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keefelane66 (Post 2296630)
Medicare is for health needs not maid services.

Needlessly snarky and unhelpful reply imho.

Rapscallion St Croix 01-30-2024 04:35 PM

State of FL

Caregiver Assistance Programs - DOEA

BigDawgInLakeDenham 01-30-2024 05:27 PM

Possibly the said father-in-law was a service connected veteran and was able to get the home care services through the VA. Sounds like a program the VA has offered in the past.
Or if he was in Hospice Care then you would have those support services. If the lady in question is not deemed able to care for herself and unable to leave the house for medical appoints, she qualifies for nothing you're looking for....sorry

Why can't you care for her? Do you and your wife not have arms or hands to hold soap and wash cloth? Seriously? It's easy to care for others if you WANT TO. Most folks don't want to invest the time to care for our aging loved ones. Your options are do it yourself or spend her money on an Assisted Living Facility or a Nursing Home. $12 to $15k a month until their assets are gone, then they will qualify for state assistance...aka Medicaid to pay towards the Nursing Home. If you want to preserve the money you will provide the bathing and feeding. If you truly can't....then no inheritance. Sorry but that's the truth. I've lived it personally more than once and professionally for decades.

Maybe it's an issue of medical equipment such as a hospital bed, wheelchairs, shower chair, hover lift, etc. If so, and you want to keep her in your home, then talk to her doctors about orders for durable medical equipment that is covered by her insurance. Ask for home health orders to come assess your situation and get recommendations as to what her insurance will provide and training on how to use the medical equipment to make caring for her easier. Talk to her Doctors.

Bogie Shooter 01-30-2024 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eweissenbach (Post 2296658)
Needlessly snarky and unhelpful reply imho.

More to follow……..

PugMom 01-30-2024 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philipd411 (Post 2296632)
I can not bathe my mother, I can not dress my mother. Not asking for maid service. asking if medicare help provide in home care help for those who can not longer provide themselves that type of care. Sorry I was not clear enough

i'm going to say no, it's not covered. we paid out of pocket for my husband's care before he passed. we used a caregiver service, then a private rn as his symptoms increased. it's not cheap, but am afraid you will have to pay

PugMom 01-30-2024 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 2296670)
More to follow……..

oh, YOU!! :1rotfl: