Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   Check your bill (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/check-your-bill-347369/)

oldyeller 02-02-2024 09:44 PM

Check your bill

Four couples went to dinner tonight at one of the CC. When we got our checks one of our party noticed there was a charge listed for door dash. We just happened to grab a manager who checked on it for us. The waitress returned with the corrected checks claiming she hit the wrong button. Initially I thought, ok honest mistake! In hindsight, four times? Will she lose her job?

Teed_Off 02-03-2024 02:35 AM

Why the mystery? Tell us which Country Club.

simplesimonsaid 02-03-2024 05:15 AM

I go with a mistake.
The extra cost on the bill would not have benefitted the server, only the business.

Eg_cruz 02-03-2024 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldyeller (Post 2297674)
Four couples went to dinner tonight at one of the CC. When we got our checks one of our party noticed there was a charge listed for door dash. We just happened to grab a manager who checked on it for us. The waitress returned with the corrected checks claiming she hit the wrong button. Initially I thought, ok honest mistake! In hindsight, four times? Will she lose her job?

Why didn’t you just ask the sever direct was she a bad server? Did she not take care of you? Give someone the benefit of doubt. Not everyone is out to get you…….mistake happen

sirknor 02-03-2024 05:47 AM

Thank you for the info. Good heads up.

ThirdOfFive 02-03-2024 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldyeller (Post 2297674)

Good to be alert. Mistakes do happen. Unfortunately, so do some shady practices. Caveat Emptor.

Back in the world, some years back, we began noticing that when the clerk was ringing up our grocery purchases at a certain store, the posted sale price on some items did not register; instead the non-sale price would ring up even though the item being purchased had an obvious sale poster beside it when we picked it out. Not a lot, but more than just occasionally. Also not the clerk's fault...he or she just scanned the item and the register did its thing. Whenever it would happen we'd stop the checkout process and ask the clerk to verify the sale price, which usually included a phone call from her line asking someone "in the back" to verify our claim that the item was on sale. I was always good-natured about it but not shy about speaking loudly enough so that people around and in back of us knew exactly what was going on. Of the couple of dozen times it happened we were never wrong: after about a five-minute or so delay (with the people behind us getting progressively more edgy) the person from "the back" verified that the item was indeed "on sale". The stock excuse was "oh, I guess the person responsible just forgot to take down the sale sign". The kicker was that, of all the times this happened, the OPPOSITE (where a sale price rang up when the item was NOT on sale) happened only once. And yes, I did call it to the attention of the checker.

Over time we noticed that fewer and fewer "mistakes" were being made. In fact the store eventually implemented a policy where if an item was on sale and it rang up as the non-sale price, the customer got the item for free. I guess word gets around.

In the words of Ronald Reagan, "trust, but VERIFY". It is an unfortunate fact that some merchants doing business with Villagers apparently see us more as targets than as customers.

Bill14564 02-03-2024 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teed_Off (Post 2297687)
Why the mystery? Tell us which Country Club.

One server, one time, one country club, and the mistake was corrected. The message has value as a general warning to check the bill before paying it. There is no value in shaming the venue over what is possibly an isolated incident.

Another thing to watch for are tips automatically added for larger parties. I know why it is done and I only take a small amount of offense over it. What really bothers me is when I overlook the fact that tip was already added and leave a second tip on top of it. I've learned to look more carefully.

pauld315 02-03-2024 08:56 AM

[QUOTE=oldyeller;2297674]Four couples went to dinner tonight at one of the CC. When we got our checks one of our party noticed there was a charge listed for door dash. We just happened to grab a manager who checked on it for us. The waitress returned with the corrected checks claiming she hit the wrong button. Initially I thought, ok honest mistake! In hindsight, four times? Will she lose her job?[/QUOTE

She probably had to hit the doordash button just once for the entire order.

dewilson58 02-03-2024 09:13 AM

"Check your bill"......................at our ages, we should know (& do) this by now.

:thumbup:

banjobob 02-04-2024 07:18 AM

Not likely help in restaurants hard to hire.

coleprice 02-04-2024 07:24 AM

What is the name of the country club?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill14564 (Post 2297785)
One server, one time, one country club, and the mistake was corrected. The message has value as a general warning to check the bill before paying it. There is no value in shaming the venue over what is possibly an isolated incident.

Another thing to watch for are tips automatically added for larger parties. I know why it is done and I only take a small amount of offense over it. What really bothers me is when I overlook the fact that tip was already added and leave a second tip on top of it. I've learned to look more carefully.

It is unlikely that the server made the same "MISTAKE" on 4 checks in a row - It was likely intentional. There are several ways that the money could have found its way into the server's pockets. It would be helpful to those reading this thread to know which CC this occurred at so that it can either be avoided or so that people know to thoroughly inspect their checks if they go there and report any other "discrepancies" that may occur in the future.

Bill14564 02-04-2024 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coleprice (Post 2297982)
It is unlikely that the server made the same "MISTAKE" on 4 checks in a row - It was likely intentional. There are several ways that the money could have found its way into the server's pockets. It would be helpful to those reading this thread to know which CC this occurred at so that it can either be avoided or so that people know to thoroughly inspect their checks if they go there and report any other "discrepancies" that may occur in the future.

The four checks were from the same table. Having no knowledge of how the order was entered in the first place, it is at least possible that dividing a single entry into four checks copied a single bad entry across them all.

If by some chance it *was* intentional we still have no reason to believe it was a policy of the country club and not the actions of a single server. Disparaging the business will punish everyone that works there for the actions (or mistakes) of one. It was reported to a manager and corrected for the customer. Allow the business to handle the situation.

People should thoroughly inspect their checks already; otherwise, there is no reason to even receive them in the first place. The purpose of the original post seems to have been to remind us of that. The post was effective and we have been reminded.

Gracelane 02-04-2024 08:20 AM

Doordash adds in to the total that gets figured into the Tip

Glad you caught it-That fee is added into the total that is used to figure out the tip with. So Yes it Does benefit the server, who may or may not have mistakenly punched it in incorrectly 4 times~once per check. Maybe just habit(!) but whatever…Good to always be aware!

JohnN 02-04-2024 08:45 AM

Good catch there,
but who doesn't check their bill?

I've caught countless errors in all sorts of establishments over the years, intentional or not doesn't matter.

airstreamingypsy 02-04-2024 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coleprice (Post 2297982)

Check you bill in all restaurants, then you don't need to know the CC.