Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Weather Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/weather-talk-515/)
-   -   When looking for a home in TV. "WIND DAMAGE" (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/weather-talk-515/when-looking-home-tv-wind-damage-347501/)

Will.S 02-08-2024 04:59 AM

When looking for a home in TV. "WIND DAMAGE"

We are future home buyers in TV. Re: Storms, what direction is best for your home to face ? Does it matter ? Should a home face a certain direction to have the least damage to roofs in a hurricane ? Do the winds from hurricane hit TV from the same direction every time ?

Do people cover windows in prep for hurricanes or is TV too far inland to worry about such things.

Tornado alley Nebraskan is just freaking out in advance. :22yikes:

Brwne 02-08-2024 07:57 AM

Wind and home facing

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will.S (Post 2298943)
We are future home buyers in TV. Re: Storms, what direction is best for your home to face ? Does it matter ? Should a home face a certain direction to have the least damage to roofs in a hurricane ? Do the winds from hurricane hit TV from the same direction every time ?

Do people cover windows in prep for hurricanes or is TV too far inland to worry about such things.

Over the last 4 years, winds have not been an issue, thankfully. Our lanai faces West and the summer heat is intense. That's solved by dual pane "sliders", shades and ductless A/C. Were we to buy another house (my wife informs me that's not going to happen) it would have North/South alignment.

Normal 02-08-2024 08:38 AM

Welcome

Quote:

Welcome, but alas, you are worried about a non issue. Hurricanes winds blow from two opposing directions. They cycle the first direction until the center passes over, then they go in the other. They of course are circular patterns.

As far as a home facing a particular direction, I would make sure my lanai faced east. It would have nothing to do with wind though.

villagetinker 02-08-2024 09:52 AM

OP, look for what is called a "hip" roof, basically there are NO eves on this design which greatly limits the ability of the wind to get under the roof. Homes built after 2004(?) have the roofs actually attached to the house walls with special attachments. We have been here since 2013, when IRMA came through, there were a few tornados that spun off of the hurricane, several houses near us had some roof shingles blown off, I think the winds hit over 100 MPH.
As noted above the winds come from all directions so house orientation does not make a difference, we have a South facing lanai which works great for us.

biker1 02-08-2024 09:59 AM

Hip roofs have eaves. What hip roofs lack are gables. The roof slopes down everywhere. They have advantages, which may be reflected in your home owner's policy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 2299058)
OP, look for what is called a "hip" roof, basically there are NO eves on this design which greatly limits the ability of the wind to get under the roof. Homes built after 2004(?) have the roofs actually attached to the house walls with special attachments. We have been here since 2013, when IRMA came through, there were a few tornados that spun off of the hurricane, several houses near us had some roof shingles blown off, I think the winds hit over 100 MPH.
As noted above the winds come from all directions so house orientation does not make a difference, we have a South facing lanai which works great for us.

LuvtheVillages 02-08-2024 10:06 AM

Quote:

No need to cover your windows during storms. One, we are too far inland. Two, building codes were enhanced 20 years ago. All windows are rated to withstand high winds. However, before a storm, you and your neighbors need to bring inside anything that the wind might pick up and blow around.

Dusty_Star 02-08-2024 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 2299058)
OP, look for what is called a "hip" roof, basically there are NO eves on this design which greatly limits the ability of the wind to get under the roof.

Are most houses built in The Villages with hip roofs?

Thanks!

villagetinker 02-08-2024 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biker1 (Post 2299063)
Hip roofs have eaves. What hip roofs lack are gables. The roof slopes down everywhere. They have advantages, which may be reflected in your home owner's policy.

Thank you for the correction, I used the wrong term. To another comment, yes most of the roofs are hip roofs, however there may be some older homes that are not.

Dusty_Star 02-08-2024 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 2299093)
To another comment, yes most of the roofs are hip roofs, however there may be some older homes that are not.

Thanks!!! (I was looking at illustrations to try & figure it out & whether the illustrations were poor or not, I was having trouble.)

Normal 02-08-2024 12:43 PM

Hip Roof

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty_Star (Post 2299113)
Thanks!!! (I was looking at illustrations to try & figure it out & whether the illustrations were poor or not, I was having trouble.)

Older homes and even new ones here in the Villages have eaves. Designs have removed some of these and continued the roof as another pitched portion of the roof with no eave (maybe half the new homes) and this is called a hipped roof. Roofs then breathe through ridge vents and soffits instead, this eliminates some wind catching ability as the air streams over instead of directly into an attic through traditional side walled vents or box vents.

They are more costly, but demonstrate improvement in insulation and resistance to storm damage.

rustyp 02-08-2024 01:18 PM

Quote:

Buy a new Villa house in the southern end for two reasons. They are built to the latest Florida building codes. Also buy in the middle of the block. The lots a very small and the house on either side of you is protection.

biker1 02-08-2024 02:42 PM

Most homes have a combination of hips, and gables in the front. I don't see many homes that have hips everywhere. I have a home with hips everywhere and I do get a discount on my home owner's policy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 2299093)
Thank you for the correction, I used the wrong term. To another comment, yes most of the roofs are hip roofs, however there may be some older homes that are not.

kkingston57 02-08-2024 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuvtheVillages (Post 2299065)
No need to cover your windows during storms. One, we are too far inland. Two, building codes were enhanced 20 years ago. All windows are rated to withstand high winds. However, before a storm, you and your neighbors need to bring inside anything that the wind might pick up and blow around.

Might check those windows. They are not same windows that are used almost exclusively in more hurricane prone areas of Florida. Windows in TV do not need to be impact resistant or require a permanent storm shutter,

kkingston57 02-08-2024 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty_Star (Post 2299089)
Are most houses built in The Villages with hip roofs?

Thanks!

No. Bet over 70% of the homes have gables.

LuvtheVillages 02-08-2024 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkingston57 (Post 2299177)
Might check those windows. They are not same windows that are used almost exclusively in more hurricane prone areas of Florida. Windows in TV do not need to be impact resistant or require a permanent storm shutter,

Correct. Which is why everyone needs to pick up loose outdoor items, including chairs, grills, the sign on your lamp post, garden flags, lawn gnomes, etc.
I have never heard on a window being damaged by the wind.