Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Singles (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/singles-124/)
-   -   Forever Young! (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/singles-124/forever-young-347690/)

USAF RETIRED 02-14-2024 10:28 AM

Forever Young!

Good morning, everyone. I am a single male of 67 years. I retired from the Air Force, the Federal Government, and collect my SS. My father retired and lived in the Villages in the early 2000's. I really enjoyed the time I spent visiting him. I live in Florida and want to relocate to the Villages where I can enjoy spending my time with others like me. Any advice about where I should move to in the Villages? I have a dog.

simplesimonsaid 02-14-2024 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USAF RETIRED (Post 2301157)
Good morning, everyone. I am a single male of 67 years. I retired from the Air Force, the Federal Government, and collect my SS. My father retired and lived in the Villages in the early 2000's. I really enjoyed the time I spent visiting him. I live in Florida and want to relocate to the Villages where I can enjoy spending my time with others like me. Any advice about where I should move to in the Villages? I have a dog.

Many youngsters, like yourself, usually prefer southern newer area.
Rent for a month or so in all areas, see what takes your fancy.
If you decide near us, "Keep off my Grass!"

Dusty_Star 02-14-2024 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simplesimonsaid (Post 2301188)
Youngsters like yourself usually prefer southern newer area.

Youngsters like him are all throughout all areas of the Villages.

Dusty_Star 02-14-2024 12:14 PM

Everyone thinks their Village/area is the best, so you will get a lot of conflicting advice. You might try to look at the different areas & see which ones appeal to you. You also might try looking at the available amenities & see which ones you might want to be closer to. For example: golf courses (not so plentiful in the south), gyms (some Rec centers have gyms), & which you might not mind an occasional drive to. Or clubs you might be interested in. As a dog owner myself, I would immediately cross out any 'keep off of my lawn' neighborhoods :laugh: I never, ever walk my dog on other people's property, but you can see from some posts on this forum some people become quite upset about dogs, fortunately many neighborhoods are dog-friendly. Good luck. Ask if you have any questions about clubs, rec centers or other amenities I mentioned.

simplesimonsaid 02-14-2024 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty_Star (Post 2301201)
Youngsters like him are all throughout all areas of the Villages.

My comment amended.

Stu from NYC 02-14-2024 01:11 PM

Thank you for your service.

Rent somewhere in the middle of the villages for a month or more and explore.

Find a villages and an mls real estate agent to take you around. Villages agent can show new and resales mls only resales.

Take the trolleys and look around but recognize driver will push you toward whatever the villages is selling so keep an open mind.

Great place to live but takes awhile to decide where to go.

JMintzer 02-14-2024 05:42 PM

I'm a year younger than you and bought 3 years ago, just north of 44, in Osceola Hills.

Right now, it's pretty much the "Center of The Villages"...

Although, in another 10 year, that "center" will move south...

Our neighborhood is a mix of late 50's to 70's... (at least the people I've met)

You've been given some good advice. Rent for a month. Check out the neighbohoods north and south. See what suits your fancy...

RoadToad 02-15-2024 04:19 AM

I think there is a size/weight limit on dogs in some areas. Might want to enquire.

Warcats 02-15-2024 04:33 AM

Just south of Sumter landing gives you great access to the best town square IMO. And it’s close to varied shopping. Buying pre owned may save you from the hefty fee.

Cbednar 02-15-2024 05:00 AM

I recently learned that veranda style homes have bigger fenced back yards than villas.
Quote:

margaretmattson 02-15-2024 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cbednar (Post 2301355)
I recently learned that veranda style homes have bigger fenced back yards than villas.

Our recently sold CYV had a large yard. Maybe, new construction CYVs have smaller yards but definitely not preowned. There are many with room for a pool and expansive lanai.

Cherylmcdaniel 02-15-2024 05:44 AM

Best time to be here!

Quote:

Happy to help you discover all The Villages offers - licensed Real Estate Professional with Properties of The Villages. Moved here 24 years ago love selling and being a part of this home town. Cheryl.mcdaniel@thevillages.com

star20166@yahoo.com 02-15-2024 05:53 AM

Look at previously owned Courtyard Villas north of SR 44. Thank me later. Welcome and thanks for your years of service.

Deandd 02-15-2024 06:06 AM

Get a villa with fenced in area for the puppy…

ColtsFan 02-15-2024 06:08 AM

You will love The Villages......also 18% of the population of The Villages are Veterans. Make sure you look at pre-owned and new. You might get a better deal with pre-owned. If you buy on the newest side, watch out for Turnpike noise, and you might not want to buy near a Town Square because you will hear the music every night. There will be so much for you to do here with entertainment, clubs, Rec. Centers, sports....and very nice people to meet. If you find an area you like, feel free to talk to neighbors there to see what they say. Welcome to The Villages when you do move here. PS: they have a lot of dog parks here.