Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Shout out to the Villagetinker (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/shout-out-villagetinker-348291/)

tophcfa 03-05-2024 09:55 PM

Shout out to the Villagetinker

Hey VT, thanks for all your help showing me how to fix the overcharging voltage issue with our Yamaha golf carts. I finished the project today on our 2014 EFI and the charging voltage now reads a very acceptable 14.5 volts, down from 17.8 volts before the fix. The fix will most definitely have a very positive impact on the carts battery life going forward. When I can find the time, the 2022 Quiet Tech is next up for the fix. Your the best : )

Velvet 03-06-2024 08:56 AM

I completely agree, thank you Villagetinker for all your help.

How did you do it? My Yamaha QT 2022 runs down the battery if I go only to the mail station several times. I was thinking it’s probably the fuel thing they installed at Villages Golf Carts because the only other non-standard thing on it is a small led at the bottom lights. The fuel/Speed gauge does not shut off for 10 seconds after I turn the key off.

tophcfa 03-06-2024 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velvet (Post 2308229)

How did you do it? My Yamaha QT 2022 runs down the battery if I go only to the mail station several times. I was thinking it’s probably the fuel thing they installed at Villages Golf Carts because the only other non-standard thing on it is a small led at the bottom lights. The fuel/Speed gauge does not shut off for 10 seconds after I turn the key off. (Husband could have fixed it easily, when he was alive.)

Sounds like the problem with your cart is a parasitic drain from the gauge. Too high of a charging voltage won’t quickly drain your battery, but will damage and shorten the battery’s life, especially when the cart is frequently driven on long trips. You can check the voltage by putting the cart in neutral (between forward and reverse), putting a multimeter on the battery terminals, and putting the gas pedal to the floor with the key turned. The charging voltage reading on the multi meter should be around 14.5, but not over 15.

The fix to overcharging involves re-wiring the carts voltage regulator with a fused relay directly to the battery. Yamaha wires the regulator to the ignition, where the regulator picks up electrical draw from all the carts electronics (lights, radio, electronic fuel injector, gauges, etc…) causing it to charge at too high a voltage. The Villagetinker posted a thread (closed) titled Gas Golf Cart Battery Voltage that has a detailed wiring diagram of the fix.

jebartle 03-06-2024 09:49 AM

I second all thanks to Tinker for all his help, much appreciated!

villagetinker 03-06-2024 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velvet (Post 2308229)

How did you do it? My Yamaha QT 2022 runs down the battery if I go only to the mail station several times. I was thinking it’s probably the fuel thing they installed at Villages Golf Carts because the only other non-standard thing on it is a small led at the bottom lights. The fuel/Speed gauge does not shut off for 10 seconds after I turn the key off. (Husband could have fixed it easily, when he was alive.)

Velvet, I have the parts, send me a private message and we can schedule a time for the repair.

PugMom 03-06-2024 11:19 AM

@VT- if there was a VillageroftheYear award, it would certainly go to YOU! :boom:

eweissenbach 03-06-2024 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PugMom (Post 2308299)
@VT- if there was a VillageroftheYear award, it would certainly go to YOU! :boom:

VT is the best poster on TOTV.

Nell57 03-06-2024 08:50 PM

One more pat on the back for Village Tinker. He’s keeping this place humming

shaw8700@outlook.com 03-06-2024 09:12 PM

Thank goodness for VillageTinker!

HandyGrandpap 03-06-2024 10:50 PM

VT is the best, I never never skip one of his post.
Thanks for all of the contributions VT.
Interesting that VT is TV backwards!
People like VT add to the quality of the The Talk of the Villages! We are fortunate to gain from his insight!!

John Mayes 03-07-2024 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 2308277)
Velvet, I have the parts, send me a private message and we can schedule a time for the repair.

You’re a good guy VT.

bobeaston 03-07-2024 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HandyGrandpap (Post 2308433)
VT is the best, I never never skip one of his post.
Thanks for all of the contributions VT.
Interesting that VT is TV backwards!
People like VT add to the quality of the The Talk of the Villages! We are fortunate to gain from his insight!!

Hear here!!!

rduval 03-07-2024 06:04 AM

VT always helpful, always kind, absolutely the best!

Nevinator 03-07-2024 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nell57 (Post 2308412)
One more pat on the back for Village Tinker. He’s keeping this place humming ���������������� ���������������� ��������

No doubt! Always a thoughtful, detailed and well reasoned response. Many thanks!

Annie66 03-07-2024 06:37 AM

AND, his replies thankfully lack the affective language way too many people use these days. Thank you!