Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Roof Coating? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/roof-coating-348373/)

Bob45 03-09-2024 10:46 AM

Roof Coating?

Has anybody had their roof coated? Or contacted their insurance company to see if it is an accepted practice? I have seen advertisements that this coating will add life to your roof. Just wondering if it is a scam.
TIA Bob

retiredguy123 03-09-2024 10:49 AM

Not a scam, but Certainteed does not recommend it and says that they will not honor your shingle warranty.

UsuallyLurking 03-09-2024 10:52 AM

Based on the ads I've seen, I believe the rationale for the coating is the same as that for using rejuvenator on our asphalt roads -- it restores elasticity and other properties degraded by all the UV light we get. Since the ads have just popped up I would assume this is a new product so I wouldn't know whether it actually works, let alone whether it is a scam. I would certainly advise anyone considering using it to contact their insurance company.

retiredguy123 03-09-2024 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UsuallyLurking (Post 2309084)
Based on the ads I've seen, I believe the rationale for the coating is the same as that for using rejuvenator on our asphalt roads -- it restores elasticity and other properties degraded by all the UV light we get. Since the ads have just popped up I would assume this is a new product so I wouldn't know whether it actually works, let alone whether it is a scam. I would certainly advise anyone considering using it to contact their insurance company.

It is not a new product. But, if the shingle manufacturer will not honor their warranty, I don't think insurance companies would be in favor of it.

retiredguy123 03-09-2024 11:26 AM

I could not find anything in the Certainteed warranty document that specifically addresses roof coatings, but the warrranty exclusion section does exclude:

"Damage caused by structural changes, alterations or additions, or by the installation of equipment
(such as, but not limited to, aerials, signs or air-conditioning equipment) to the building after the
original shingles have been applied."

However, a Certainteed representative told me that they will not honor their warranty if the shingles have been coated with a chemical. Also, the warranty document contains a lot of vague exclusions that the company could use to deny a warranty claim.

Arctic Fox 03-09-2024 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob45 (Post 2309079)
Has anybody had their roof coated? Or contacted their insurance company to see if it is an accepted practice? I have seen advertisements that this coating will add life to your roof. Just wondering if it is a scam.
TIA Bob

I looked into this about five years ago but the cost (per year) of extending the life of the shingles was the same as the annualised cost of a new roof, so it made no sense.

btw, I also looked into the white coating that helps reflect the Sun but apparently that is not allowed under Florida's building code. I didn't get as far as asking ARC if they would allow it.

Pairadocs 03-09-2024 06:34 PM

Cynic me

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 2309082)
Not a scam, but Certainteed does not recommend it and says that they will not honor your shingle warranty.

Not surprised any single manufacturer would not honor their "warranty" ! What would a person get if a 25 yr. shingle lasted 15 years ? Would it be similar to a 25,000 mi. tire that you get about $4.00 credit for at 16,000 ? My ink jet printer also warns me about buying any ink other than their brand. I've been buying another brand on the internet for six years now (not refilled cartridges, I have an ink tank so buy bottles of ink) and what have I found, the ink bottles that are 55% LESS than my printer's brand, are just as brilliant in color and print beautifully. So the if shingle manufacturer does not "recommend it", would make me wonder a bit ?

Annie66 03-10-2024 04:34 AM

I think the question to be asked is if I were to have the coating applied, would my homeowner insurance company still demand that I change the roof at 15 years no matter what the condition?

nancyre 03-10-2024 06:09 AM

You do not coat shingles. You coat a flat roof

Arctic Fox 03-10-2024 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nancyre (Post 2309302)

I think that the product referred to by the OP is designed to "renew" shingles by softening them up a bit so that they do not crack as easily - presumably oils etc. originally in shingles dry out over time.

MikeN 03-10-2024 07:07 AM

Save your money. If your roof needs to be replaced do it. Your insurance company won’t reinsure you because you have it done

mkjelenbaas 03-10-2024 08:05 AM

Quote:

TIA Bob

What did your insurance company say when you called them?

Indydealmaker 03-10-2024 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nancyre (Post 2309302)

Not true.

3105boy 03-10-2024 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic Fox (Post 2309311)
I think that the product referred to by the OP is designed to "renew" shingles by softening them up a bit so that they do not crack as easily - presumably oils etc. originally in shingles dry out over time.

We had Roof Rejuvenate brand coating (not Roof Maxx). They first seal all penetrations on the roof with calk and they lay a thick coat of their product. It leaves a shine on plants and is not harmful. The grit loss off the roof immediately stopped. Yes, the idea is to maintain flexibility especially in a storm. It is more expensive than I expected but I’m happy with the results. My insurance company is Tower Hill. The product is known to them but too new to garner a discount. Tower Hill Exchange also pro-rates roof claims much like your car tire warranty, so their exposure is less and they have no 15-year limit.

Wayne Mudge 03-10-2024 04:06 PM

Roof coatings

Quote:

TIA Bob

It's not a scam, some products like ROOFMAX do recondition asphalt shingles, however The building dept, your insurance carrier and the roof shingle manufacture will not recognize or approve these coatings.