Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Championship Courses - The Villages Golf Course Conditions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/championship-courses-villages-golf-course-conditions-473/)
-   -   Plans being discussed of a Golf Boycott by Priority Members !!!!! (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/championship-courses-villages-golf-course-conditions-473/plans-being-discussed-golf-boycott-priority-members-348384/)

Golden Domer 03-09-2024 04:25 PM

Plans being discussed of a Golf Boycott by Priority Members !!!!!

I have heard rumblings recently that a group of Priority Members have been discussing a "boycott day / week" ....... anyone else heard anything about this ?

Pairadocs 03-09-2024 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Domer (Post 2309176)
I have heard rumblings recently that a group of Priority Members have been discussing a "boycott day / week" ....... anyone else heard anything about this ?

Haven't heard, but your post made me stop and think about IF such a thing took place. Would the villages administration, or golf administration, or even the lowly course employees really care if everyone stayed off all the courses for a day ? Or a week ? If they did, would the 1300 people who checked in in the month of March also be willing to "pass" on the times they are given on the championship courses, and just play the none hole courses ? Maybe I am not seeing any benefit, but I could certainly be wrong ! To me it seems like if our entire community stopped buying bread for an entire day, or for an entire week, would it really have an "awaking" effect ? Maybe so because as it relates to the courses, I have no idea what the actual profit is for one day, or one week ? Does anyone know ?

Keefelane66 03-09-2024 05:55 PM

I doubt it will happen a day or a week will not make an impression on the Developer. Maybe if you brought it to the attention on national media.

asianthree 03-09-2024 06:09 PM

Already have your money so probably not a big deal.

BUT…..if 29% chose not to renew for a few months maybe cause pause.

BrianL99 03-09-2024 06:32 PM

Quote:

I've brought up that possibility on this site, numerous times.

That said, I think there would be repercussions that won't be pleasant, for those organizing such a thing.

On a more positive note. I believe the Developer has taken heed and begun to work at getting the courses into better condition. I've seen significant evidence of that, over the last 2 weeks.

CoachKandSportsguy 03-09-2024 07:27 PM

I think the bad social media publicity is enough, along with ire and direct confrontation at Meetings withCCD members will effect sales (duh) of the developer, esp during a soft sales period, that changes may take place, as BrianL pointed out

Jayhawk 03-09-2024 07:29 PM

Quote:

The non-priority golfers will thank you mightily.

Shipping up to Boston 03-09-2024 07:33 PM

No developer likes this kind of smoke. If there is a vocal group in place, kudos to you as your efforts appear to be gaining some traction.

Mleeja 03-09-2024 07:37 PM

Maybe the courses would actually be happy with a boycott! It would give the fairways and greens a day without traffic!

pokeefe45@aol.com 03-09-2024 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pairadocs (Post 2309187)
Haven't heard, but your post made me stop and think about IF such a thing took place. Would the villages administration, or golf administration, or even the lowly course employees really care if everyone stayed off all the courses for a day ? Or a week ? If they did, would the 1300 people who checked in in the month of March also be willing to "pass" on the times they are given on the championship courses, and just play the none hole courses ? Maybe I am not seeing any benefit, but I could certainly be wrong ! To me it seems like if our entire community stopped buying bread for an entire day, or for an entire week, would it really have an "awaking" effect ? Maybe so because as it relates to the courses, I have no idea what the actual profit is for one day, or one week ? Does anyone know ?

I'd roughly calculate one day's full revenue potential at $10K per nine holes- (based on available tee times and guessing at a medium greens fee plus factoring in some 9-hole players). From a 'boycott' effectiveness-it would all be lost profit-as the overhead doesn't change. Again-$10K is a max revenue-I'd figure 80% of that during peak season (2somes or 3somes instead of all 4somes). So for a 27-hole course-$24K a day in sales. If you put up picket lines and golfers refused to cross-that would be the loss. Imagine the press it would get though? Not sure I'd be on the picket line-but I'd sure be across the street with my iPhone filming it.
Although-now that I think about it-imagine the tee times it would open up-And I've always wanted to play at exactly 10 AM.......

Shipping up to Boston 03-09-2024 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokeefe45@aol.com (Post 2309251)
I'd roughly calculate one day's full revenue potential at $10K per nine holes- (based on available tee times and guessing at a medium greens fee plus factoring in some 9-hole players). From a 'boycott' effectiveness-it would all be lost profit-as the overhead doesn't change. Again-$10K is a max revenue-I'd figure 80% of that during peak season (2somes or 3somes instead of all 4somes). So for a 27-hole course-$24K a day in sales. If you put up picket lines and golfers refused to cross-that would be the loss. Imagine the press it would get though? Not sure I'd be on the picket line-but I'd sure be across the street with my iPhone filming it.
Although-now that I think about it-imagine the tee times it would open up-And I've always wanted to play at exactly 10 AM.......

Love the math and the premise. I’d be next to you with my Android

HORNET 03-10-2024 12:34 PM

That would be great for the Golf Course Employees, they would still get paid and they would enjoy a day of not hearing all of the senseless complaining !

HORNET 03-10-2024 12:36 PM

Play outside The Villages and see what you really get for your money

OrangeBlossomBaby 03-10-2024 01:23 PM

I think it'd be great for the greens if no one golfed at them one day every week. Maybe it's something the golf courses should consider. Each one shuts down on a rotating basis, so maybe course 1, 5, 17, and 29 all close on Tuesdays THIS month - and next month it switches to Wednesdays. And so on.

Shipping up to Boston 03-10-2024 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby (Post 2309521)
I think it'd be great for the greens if no one golfed at them one day every week. Maybe it's something the golf courses should consider. Each one shuts down on a rotating basis, so maybe course 1, 5, 17, and 29 all close on Tuesdays THIS month - and next month it switches to Wednesdays. And so on.

That is a perfect solution...at any course in the US. It might give the course time to ‘heal’ but it’s a huge loss of income/revenue for the operator. Thus highly unlikely.