Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Why not use a pad and pencil? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/why-not-use-pad-pencil-348442/)

thevillager1988 03-12-2024 06:13 AM

Why not use a pad and pencil?

Any former servers out there who can explain to me why servers try to memorize our order instead of writing it down. At least 50% of the time they get it wrong. Last evening our server took our order, didn’t write it down, and then stopped to take another order on the way to the order entry. We waited an extra 15 minutes because mine came out wrong. What’s the thought process of servers who don’t use a pad? For the restaurant it’s an added cost if the incorrect meal has to be discarded.

Two Bills 03-12-2024 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thevillager1988 (Post 2310037)
Any former servers out there who can explain to me why servers try to memorize our order instead of writing it down. At least 50% of the time they get it wrong. Last evening our server took our order, didn’t write it down, and then stopped to take another order on the way to the order entry. We waited an extra 15 minutes because mine came out wrong. What’s the thought process of servers who don’t use a pad? For the restaurant it’s an added cost if the incorrect meal has to be discarded.

Most of the restaurant servers in our local area have them I-Pad type thingies, that send orders direct to a screen in the kitchen, for the cook/chef.
Haven't seen a paper and pencil used for years.

Bill14564 03-12-2024 07:10 AM

Quote:

I suppose it is possible that the order is wrong 50% of the time if you continue to go to the same restaurant and deal with the same two servers.

My experience is that my order has been correct almost 100% of the time. There have been exactly the same percentage of errors whether the the order is written down or memorized.

Heck, I have even seen errors in the order when I absolutely know it was entered correctly because I could see what I typed in the app.

Bogie Shooter 03-12-2024 07:20 AM

Such troubles seem so far away…………

BrianL99 03-12-2024 09:15 AM

Quote:

With very few exceptions, restaurants "writing down" orders isn't a restaurant, it's a slop house.

if you're paying $100/meal, staff should be smart enough and competent enough, to get it right in their head unless you have a table for 8+.

If you're paying less than $100/plate and your order is being "written down", please tell me where you're going to eat, so I can avoid it.

Stu from NYC 03-12-2024 09:15 AM

They almost always get it right. Could be to impress us and get bigger tips

Topspinmo 03-12-2024 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 2310069)
Such troubles seem so far away…………

Too many fingers in pot. Too many chiefs in kitchen.:oops:

Topspinmo 03-12-2024 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianL99 (Post 2310145)
With very few exceptions, restaurants "writing down" orders isn't a restaurant, it's a slop house.

if you're paying $100/meal, staff should be smart enough and competent enough, to get it right in their head unless you have a table for 8+.h

If you're paying less than $100/plate and your order is being "written down", please tell me where you're going to eat, so I can avoid it.

If you’re paying $100 plate who’s making the mistakes? :cryin2:

phousel 03-13-2024 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianL99 (Post 2310145)

if you're paying $100/meal, staff should be smart enough and competent enough, to get it right in their head unless you have a table for 8+.

What???

retiredguy123 03-13-2024 06:57 AM

What about the server who listens to your order and then asks you to repeat something literally 3 seconds later?

dougjb 03-13-2024 07:25 AM

Also, I do not understand why restaurants don't use an abacus to add up the tariff. Anything else is such old school!

Girlcopper 03-13-2024 07:37 AM

Quote:

Write it down? Obviously you don’t eat out often and are still living in the 20th century.

Bill14564 03-13-2024 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 2310460)
What about the server who listens to your order and then asks you to repeat something literally 3 seconds later?

On the plus side, they are trying?

I am particularly impressed with the servers who can remember an order out of "When Harry Met Sally:"
I want a cheeseburger but hold the cheese. I'll have all the toppings but could I have the ketchup on the side and the tomato sliced not too thick and I would like the bacon cut in half so it doesn't hang off the side. And a diet coke with just a little ice.

Topspinmo 03-13-2024 08:14 AM

Quote:

Pencils? Do they still make them? So 1950s…:icon_bored: besides last couple generations can’t write anyway? :024:

airstreamingypsy 03-13-2024 08:26 AM

The only thing servers get wrong, when I order, is they put lemon in my water. I always say no lemon and 50% of the time I get lemon.