Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Village Kitchen (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/village-kitchen-121/)
-   -   What's for dinner? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/village-kitchen-121/whats-dinner-348491/)

AMB444 03-13-2024 04:49 PM

What's for dinner?

Another forum I was on had this same thread and it turned out to be kinda fun and informative.... looking for ideas for the weekly menu.

Share recipe if you'd like please!

Tonight I think it will just be homemade hummus on rice cracker.

What's cookin' at YOUR house? :popcorn:

Shipping up to Boston 03-13-2024 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMB444 (Post 2310680)
Another forum I was on had this same thread and it turned out to be kinda fun and informative.... looking for ideas for the weekly menu.

In honor of Saint Patrick's Day, I just finished cooking my first corned beef and cabbage dinner of the week.

fdpaq0580 03-13-2024 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMB444 (Post 2310680)

Toasted spam and cheese.

Stu from NYC 03-13-2024 06:29 PM

Should have had hot dogs in honor of that thread

Velvet 03-13-2024 06:44 PM

Baked salmon with coarse black pepper and salt, on lemon slices, steamed broccoli and brown rice. Simple and fast, rice is made in rice cooker - total preparation time is less than 5 minutes. Cooking time; salmon and broccoli 12 minutes at the same time. Brown rice takes 2 hours at gaba setting (reason for slow cooking is to preserve the taste and rice cooker holds it warm all, day so you can start the rice at breakfast) and I order only the best tasting Nishiki rice from Amazon as you don’t have to add any condiments, gravy, or anything to this rice.

Oh, and the wine is Rutherford Sauvignon Blanc 2017 (Napa). Both the rice and the wine are from California.

Rapscallion St Croix 03-13-2024 07:24 PM

Catfish poboy on Leidenheimer
Bread...no sides.

Lea N 03-13-2024 07:29 PM

Big salad, grilled cheese (on homemade keto bread) and a blueberry & Kale smoothie for dessert.

fdpaq0580 03-13-2024 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lea N (Post 2310733)
Big salad, grilled cheese (on homemade keto bread) and a blueberry & Kale smoothie for dessert.

Health freak! (Actually, that sounds pretty good. Especially the homemade bread).

OrangeBlossomBaby 03-13-2024 08:23 PM

Tonight we just had subs.

Last night we had creole jambalaya that I'd made the day before. Recipe for around 4 quarts total:
1.5 tbsp veggie oil
1.5 tbsp Cajun seasoning
1 lb skinless boneless chicken breast cut into bite-sized chunks
1 lb peeled, deveined medium shrimp, tails off
1 lb andaouille sausage made with pork (not turkey sausage)
3/4 cup chopped celery (around 2 stalks)
1 cup chopped scallions (aka "green onions"), around a whole 4-oz bunch
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 medium or large green bell pepper, diced (for color you can make it 1 small green and 1 small purple or orange, red is too sweet)
1 4-cup box chicken stock (not broth)
1 14-oz can diced tomatoes
3 medium cloves garlic, chopped or minced
3.5 cups parboiled long-grain rice, well-rinsed
1 bay leaf
2 tsp corn starch (optional if you want a thicker consistency)

This is a single-pot dish but requires a few bowls. Use a stovetop dutch oven or stew pot.

Heat the oil on medium-high.

Toss chicken and 1 tbsp Cajun spices, then add to the pot, cooking and turning til browned, around 6 minutes. Set chicken aside.
Leaving the "juice" in the pot, add the sausage. Cook around 8 minutes, and set aside in a second bowl.
Leave the drippings in the pot again, and add the shrimp and remaining Cajun spices. Cook around 3 minutes til all shrimp are opaque, and dump them on top of the chicken to set aside.

Toss all the veggies into the pot, cook (and stir) til softened, around 8 minutes.

Add chicken stock, tomatoes, garlic, and corn starch if you want it thickened. Bring to a boil.

Once boiling, add the rice, sausage, and the bay leaf. Reduce heat to simmer and cook, covered, til the rice absorbs most of the liquid. Around 15 minutes. Then stir the chicken and shrimp back into the pot, heating another 3 minutes or so.

Serve with extra chopped scallions on top for decoration if you like.

Shipping up to Boston 03-13-2024 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby (Post 2310744)
Tonight we just had subs.

Last night we had creole jambalaya that I'd made the day before. Recipe for around 4 quarts total:
1.5 tbsp veggie oil
1.5 tbsp Cajun seasoning
1 lb skinless boneless chicken breast cut into bite-sized chunks
1 lb peeled, deveined medium shrimp, tails off
1 lb andaouille sausage made with pork (not turkey sausage)
3/4 cup chopped celery (around 2 stalks)
1 cup chopped scallions (aka "green onions"), around a whole 4-oz bunch
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 medium or large green bell pepper, diced (for color you can make it 1 small green and 1 small purple or orange, red is too sweet)
1 4-cup box chicken stock (not broth)
1 14-oz can diced tomatoes
3 medium cloves garlic, chopped or minced
3.5 cups parboiled long-grain rice, well-rinsed
1 bay leaf
2 tsp corn starch (optional if you want a thicker consistency)

This is a single-pot dish but requires a few bowls. Use a stovetop dutch oven or stew pot.

Heat the oil on medium-high.

Toss chicken and 1 tbsp Cajun spices, then add to the pot, cooking and turning til browned, around 6 minutes. Set chicken aside.
Leaving the "juice" in the pot, add the sausage. Cook around 8 minutes, and set aside in a second bowl.
Leave the drippings in the pot again, and add the shrimp and remaining Cajun spices. Cook around 3 minutes til all shrimp are opaque, and dump them on top of the chicken to set aside.

Toss all the veggies into the pot, cook (and stir) til softened, around 8 minutes.

Add chicken stock, tomatoes, garlic, and corn starch if you want it thickened. Bring to a boil.

Once boiling, add the rice, sausage, and the bay leaf. Reduce heat to simmer and cook, covered, til the rice absorbs most of the liquid. Around 15 minutes. Then stir the chicken and shrimp back into the pot, heating another 3 minutes or so.

Serve with extra chopped scallions on top for decoration if you like.

Sounds amazing. This one I’m going to try on the weekend. Thank you for posting

retiredguy123 03-13-2024 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston (Post 2310746)
Sounds amazing. This one I’m going to try on the weekend. Thank you for posting

It is a good recipe, but I would suggest making it without the 3.5 cups of rice. Make it without the rice and serve it with rice on the side as desired. The rice will soak up all of the liquid and overwhelm the dish. Some people do not like that much rice.

asianthree 03-13-2024 08:57 PM

Portobello & Chicken sause over fresh pappardelle pasta, with garlic bread sticks. 2018 Sangiovese

shaw8700@outlook.com 03-13-2024 09:24 PM

We had split pea soup with potatoes, carrots, and ham. Was delicious with my homemade dinner rolls. For dessert we’re going to have brownies with lots and lots of walnuts.

manaboutown 03-13-2024 10:49 PM

Two Maine lobster rolled enchiladas in green mole sauce, Mexican rice, black beans, corn tortillas, three salsas, watermelon juice.

rmd2 03-13-2024 11:01 PM

pizza

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston (Post 2310698)
In honor of Saint Patrick's Day, I just finished cooking my first corned beef and cabbage dinner of the week.

I just made a pizza tonight. I confess that I did use an prepared ultra thin pie crust but I liked the result anyway. I made the sauce with garlic and oregano, and used a combination of cheese plus pepperoni and olives. It was good.