Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Sprouts ? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/sprouts-348593/)

N44125 03-17-2024 02:50 PM

Sprouts ?

I know that Sprouts has been open for awhile, but I haven’t shopped there yet. Anyone have an opinion on it? Worth the trip?

Thanks

retiredguy123 03-17-2024 03:03 PM

It's worth the trip, but you better hurry. I predict that the store will close because they have very few customers. Charging 10 cents for a plastic bag turns me off, but I am easily turned off by environmental wackos. One good thing is that you can buy a lot of ready-to-eat items. Another plus is that there is a Jersey Mike's sub shop nearby.

Topspinmo 03-17-2024 03:09 PM

Went by there yesterday prime time shopping hours I thought they was closed with the few car’s in parking lot. Those cars was probably employees and JMs customers?

OrangeBlossomBaby 03-17-2024 03:10 PM

I really like Sprouts. I don't get out that way very often though, I live in the northeast corner of The Villages (Historic Section) and have eight grocery options all within 10 minutes of each other. (Two Publixes, one Winn Dixie, Aldi's, Walmart, Target, BJ's and Sam's).

Stu from NYC 03-17-2024 03:12 PM

Never been there have heard repeatedly pricing very high and very happy with fruits and vegetables from Sams and BJ's.

They totally screwed up a dinner order for a club we are in and that didnt give me a reason to go.

barbara828 03-17-2024 06:09 PM

especially when most products are in plastic

tophcfa 03-17-2024 07:33 PM

Although I like sprouts, it’s got nothing on Fresh Market as far as products and stuff generally costs about the same. Plus, they push shoppers to self check out and charge for grocery bags. Based on that, I go to Fresh Market.

OrangeBlossomBaby 03-17-2024 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophcfa (Post 2312483)
Although I like sprouts, it’s got nothing on Fresh Market as far as products and stuff generally costs about the same. Plus, they push shoppers to self check out and charge for grocery bags. Based on that, I go to Fresh Market.

Because I don't live very close, I always bring a thermal bag when I go to Sprouts or Fresh Market. Aldi's charges for bags too, they always did. You also have to have a quarter available to get a shopping cart (you get it back when you return the cart to the corral). No one ever made a fuss about Aldi charging for bags, UNTIL other stores started doing it as a way to reduce plastic waste.

kaydee 03-17-2024 09:24 PM

JMO…. Not impressed

shaw8700@outlook.com 03-17-2024 09:38 PM

Recently I read something about California’s ban on plastic bags not doing what they promised it would do. Shocker. And what happens to the money people pay for plastic bags?

MrChip72 03-17-2024 09:48 PM

I think Sprouts is fine. It's one of those places that is going to come down to personal preference. Not quite a love it or hate it type place, but close.

I like the prepared or semi-prepared foods there. Their steaks and fresh fish are too pricey for what you get. The produce is good though. They carry a bunch of items that most other places don't carry including Three Wishes and Magic Spoon cereal which I like.

Nice selection of sauces and condiments.

Vickim 03-18-2024 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N44125 (Post 2312395)
I know that Sprouts has been open for awhile, but I haven’t shopped there yet. Anyone have an opinion on it? Worth the trip?

Thanks

Over priced IMO limited items ….wish it was a Trader Joe’s !

marsil 03-18-2024 04:36 AM

There is a big difference in pricing between Aldi's and Sprouts and that is why no one complains that shops at Aldi's about bringing their own bags or grabbing a box. For the price of everything at Sprouts you expect a free bag. Plus the way the store is situated it is to far back to attract 466 traffic. Whoever agreed to that location - well - it was a bad idea. I was excited about Sprouts going in as I live close but prices are too high to make it worth it.

Two Bills 03-18-2024 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaw8700@outlook.com (Post 2312498)
Recently I read something about California’s ban on plastic bags not doing what they promised it would do. Shocker. And what happens to the money people pay for plastic bags?

In the UK, all stores charge for plastic bags. We all bring our own shopping bags.
Whilst there is no legislation where the money goes from those who purchase plastic bags, businesses are expected to pass on the money to a charity of their choice....... Yeah! :icon_wink:

Berwin 03-18-2024 05:30 AM

When I was stationed in Germany in the early 1980s (Army), every German grocery store charged a few pfennigs for plastic bags. We lived 'on the economy' and did most of our shopping in the local stores. We just got into the habit of bringing our own bags.