Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Garage door opener (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/garage-door-opener-348628/)

golfing eagles 03-18-2024 05:06 PM

Garage door opener

Here's an interesting problem---and a good one for Village Tinker:

Just now, my golf cart garage remote started opening my neighbor's main door. Neither of us had changed anything and it was fine 3 hours ago. What happened, and more importantly, how to fix it??????

villagetinker 03-18-2024 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 2312874)
Here's an interesting problem---and a good one for Village Thinker:

Just now, my golf cart garage remote started opening my neighbor's main door. Neither of us had changed anything and it was fine 3 hours ago. What happened, and more importantly, how to fix it??????

IMHO, one of you needs to change the codes, I would suggest the neighbor just in case they still have the possible contractor code. I would erase ALL of the codes in the opener, then reprogram with their remotes, and finally double check that your remote no longer operates their opener. The instructions are available online, and I may have them electronically but will need to check.

Also, I have no idea why the sudden change in the operation, unless one of you where working with the equipent.

golfing eagles 03-18-2024 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 2312881)
IMHO, one of you needs to change the codes, I would suggest the neighbor just in case they still have the possible contractor code. I would erase ALL of the codes in the opener, then reprogram with their remotes, and finally double check that your remote no longer operates their opener. The instructions are available online, and I may have them electronically but will need to check.

Thanks. This happened once with a different neighbor 10 years ago, and I just reprogrammed the codes. I'm just confused that after no problem for 10 years this just crops up. Ghost in the machine???? Something corrupted?? Electrical surge?????

mtdjed 03-18-2024 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 2312883)
Thanks. This happened once with a different neighbor 10 years ago, and I just reprogrammed the codes. I'm just confused that after no problem for 10 years this just crops up. Ghost in the machine???? Something corrupted?? Electrical surge?????

Is it possible that you used a different controller than usual or pressed a different button.

We had all kinds of problems when we moved in as the contractors and real estate agents had made most of the hand controls compatible with the overhead controllers. Remember, that it is the overhead control, that must remember the signal the handheld control sends. It can only remember when in the learn mode and then only what is transmitted.

C. C. Rider 03-18-2024 09:00 PM

Modern garage door openers do an automatic reset of the code every time that the door is opened. Somehow your or your neighbor's opener reset BOTH door opener codes the same.

Suggest that you remove the antenna from your opener and have your neighbor open and close his door a couple of times. That should reset his to a different code from yours. Then reinstall your antenna so that your opener will work.

Or you might simply shield your antenna with aluminum foil instead of removing it.

No guarantees from me, but it MIGHT work.

mrf0151 03-19-2024 07:25 AM

Our Allister MVP garage door opener was going up and down randomly. Tried to change the code with no success. Bottom line is the circuit board had failed. This is common from what I found out on these units. Just replaced it with a Chamberlin MYQ DC drive unit. Super quiet operation. Called Romac and they wanted over $900.00. Scott's did it for almost half that price.

dewilson58 03-19-2024 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 2312883)

It's the Developer's fault.

golfing eagles 03-19-2024 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 2313019)
It's the Developer's fault.

Wrong! It's the snowbirds fault :1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

JRcorvette 03-19-2024 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrf0151 (Post 2313016)
Our Allister MVP garage door opener was going up and down randomly. Tried to change the code with no success. Bottom line is the circuit board had failed. This is common from what I found out on these units. Just replaced it with a Chamberlin MYQ DC drive unit. Super quiet operation. Called Romac and they wanted over $900.00. Scott's did it for almost have that price.

I am looking to replace my noisy Romac unit. Who is Scott’s? Can you send me a PM

Thanks

retiredguy123 03-19-2024 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRcorvette (Post 2313036)
I am looking to replace my noisy Romac unit. Who is Scott’s? Can you send me a PM

Thanks

Scott Garage Door Repair, 352-697-0321

golfing eagles 03-19-2024 07:49 AM

Thanks everyone. (except Mr. Helpful:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:)

PGApromike 03-20-2024 05:08 AM

Both Should clear and change codes

My suggestion is both of them should clear all codes and then both change to new codes. If only 1 changes then one person still knows the others code.

JWGifford 03-20-2024 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 2313030)
Wrong! It's the snowbirds fault :1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

Wait, are you sure? It might have been a dog.

rsmurano 03-20-2024 06:47 AM

Your neighbor might have put his garage door in ‘learn’ mode and you hit your garage door opener at the same time. Your garage door opener is stupid and will read the first code it encounters when in learn mode. Your neighbor will need to reset his garage door opener and reprogram it with his remotes/homelinks.
Every new home owner should reset their garage door openers within the 1st hour of moving into their new house. Or you need to reset the opener if your car has been stolen. Many thieves who steal a car has your address in the glove compartment and your garage remote/homelink to open your garage and steal whatever is in your garage.

BostonTom 03-20-2024 07:00 AM

Garage Door

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRcorvette (Post 2313036)

Thanks

Lowes installed ours 350 no issues it's also WiFi