Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Water (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/water-348664/)

Denverdame 03-19-2024 10:38 PM

Water

I have water seeping from underneath my kitchen floor. It’s not a lot but it’s concerning. Any ideas of what this could be? Thank you.

margaretmattson 03-19-2024 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denverdame (Post 2313306)
I have water seeping from underneath my kitchen floor. It’s not a lot but it’s concerning. Any ideas of what this could be? Thank you.

Are you certain it is coming from the floor? Sometimes, the refrigerator will leave a puddle on the floor. Sometimes, coming from a leaky sink. Even a toilet that shares a kitchen wall.

gorillarick 03-20-2024 08:52 AM

Look for the easy things first. Open your cabinet under your sink. Take everything out and use the palm of your hand to check for wet or even damp. Feel the rear wall around and below the valves.
Not so easy, pull your refrigerator out and look for water, and on the wall behind.

Hoses from wall valves to where ever.

Worse scenario - I won't go there. If you can't find it, call a plumber. Water can do a lot of damage in a hurry. Mitigate

Water will travel downhill (might not seem like downhill), but can then show-up 5 or 20 feet away. This is very common with many floor coverings.

Laundry room - leaking washer, or faucets on the wall behind. Could also be a clogged laundry drain that only pukes when pumping out the tub.

dewilson58 03-20-2024 08:57 AM

Quote:

Call Mike Scott Plumbing and quit wasting time on ToTV.

:ohdear:

retiredguy123 03-20-2024 09:01 AM

OP, if you really have water seeping from under your concrete slab floor, you should file a claim with your homeowner's insurance. Your policy should cover all costs associated with the leak detection, tear out work, and reconstruction work. The only thing it won't cover is the actual water pipe repair, which should be a relatively small cost.

ThirdOfFive 03-20-2024 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 2313448)
OP, if you really have water seeping from under your concrete slab floor, you should file a claim with your homeowner's insurance. Your policy should cover all costs associated with the leak detection, tear out work, and reconstruction work. The only thing it won't cover is the actual water pipe repair, which should be a relatively small cost.

True.

However I would add that if the cost of repair is relatively small (say, for example, $5,000 or less) you might want to consider paying that amount out-of-pocket. Odds are you have a deductible anyway and fixing it w/o your insurance company knowing about it might save you from premium increases that you otherwise would not have had.

npwalters 03-20-2024 03:58 PM

A leak in the line going to your refrigerator ice maker is often the cause. In any case if it is coming up through your floor it needs to be resolved. It's likely that the floor will need to be replaced since mold can - likely will - grow under the surface. This assumes that water is under the flooring and not just on top.

I would definitely contact my home owners insurance. The cost to repair will definitely exceed a relatively small raise in the insurance rate.

I had this happen to us in Tennessee and the cost to remove the floor, remove and reinstall the cabinets, and replace the flooring was well over $10,000.

villagetinker 03-20-2024 08:03 PM

Quote:

There have been several goods comments already, but I have a question, what type of floor covering do you have? It is very easy for water to travel UNDER the floor covering and show up some distance away from the actual leak. How big is the leak, my point, you can turn off the main valve in the house, open a faucet to bleed off any residual pressure, and dry the wet area and wait a few hours. If no water appears you probably have a leak inside the house as noted previously.

When you go to turn on the water, I would first turn off all of the valves you can find (toilets, sinks, dishwasher, washer, etc.), then turn on the water, look for the leak, and then start turning on valves at maybe 30 minute interval until water appears, then you may have located your leak.
Hope this helps.

Topspinmo 03-20-2024 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gorillarick (Post 2313439)
Look for the easy things first. Open your cabinet under your sink. Take everything out and use the palm of your hand to check for wet or even damp. Feel the rear wall around and below the valves.
Not so easy, pull your refrigerator out and look for water, and on the wall behind.

Hoses from wall valves to where ever.

Worse scenario - I won't go there. If you can't find it, call a plumber. Water can do a lot of damage in a hurry. Mitigate

Water will travel downhill (might not seem like downhill), but can then show-up 5 or 20 feet away. This is very common with many floor coverings.

Laundry room - leaking washer, or faucets on the wall behind. Could also be a clogged laundry drain that only pukes when pumping out the tub.

I lay down paper towels under sinks and toilets. Anything leaking or dripping show right up. My guess dish washer?

Denverdame 03-21-2024 01:15 AM

Thank you

jerseyjoy 03-21-2024 04:13 AM

We had that in our first house here. Turned out to be a damaged outside faucet leaking back into the wall, and eventually came up thru the living room floor. Don't wait in getting this resolved. We had large drying machines in our house for days to avoid mold. Big job, our insurance company handled it all but we had to pay deductible. When we sold the house, we told the buyer and they had a mold investigation done. Fortunately it was OK.

jimmy o 03-21-2024 04:33 AM

We had water seep up from under vinyl flooring once. Is was the dishwasher. Dishwashers sit below floor tiles. So when they leak the water easily runs under the tiles.

BikeRiders 03-21-2024 04:57 AM

We had water seeping up through our rolled vinyl floor. Turns out there was a hole in a pipe BELOW the concrete. It was there when the house was built. Warranty department would not cover it because it was past the 2 year systems warranty time line. Caused a crack in my garage floor. Cost me $900. Sleuth leak detection found it after Mike Scott Plumbings initial visit. Once found, Mike Scott plumbing repaired it.

cleosmum 03-21-2024 04:58 AM

I would get this looked at right away. I had a very similar issue a few years ago, I originally thought it was the refrigerator leaking, but it turned out that it was a leak from the air conditioning unit in the garage that traveled under the laundry room floor and showed up in the kitchen, buckling the laminate floor in the kitchen. I hope that’s not the case for you, but I would get it looked at right away.

skippy05 03-21-2024 05:00 AM

This is actually the same way Ocala Silver Springs began and look at the water that bubbles up there today.