Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Car Insurance (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/car-insurance-348791/)

kmspla1952 03-25-2024 09:44 AM

Car Insurance

Received a letter from Travelers (car insurance) stating they will no longer continue coverage based on "your agent (AAA) no longer represents us for personal lines property and casualty business".

So I've started car insurance shopping. Sticker shock! The least expensive policy is $800 more than last year. The agent I'm working with included these articles:

Auto insurance rates this year have seen the largest increase in 47 years per CNN Business.

Car insurance rates just had their biggest annual jump in 47 years. This is why | CNN Business

Per the Washington Post article, auto rates on average went up 17% across the country but the state to state increases are drastically different. In Florida, they show an increase of 88%, by far the largest in the country.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...ims-disasters/

I'm still continuing to shop and some may say that an increase of $800 is good but my, my.

Dusty_Star 03-25-2024 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmspla1952 (Post 2315290)
Received a letter from Travelers (car insurance) stating they will no longer continue coverage based on "your agent (AAA) no longer represents us for personal lines property and casualty business".

So I've started car insurance shopping. Sticker shock! The least expensive policy is $800 more than last year. The agent I'm working with included these articles:

Auto insurance rates this year have seen the largest increase in 47 years per CNN Business.

Car insurance rates just had their biggest annual jump in 47 years. This is why | CNN Business

Per the Washington Post article, auto rates on average went up 17% across the country but the state to state increases are drastically different. In Florida, they show an increase of 88%, by far the largest in the country.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...ims-disasters/

I'm still continuing to shop and some may say that an increase of $800 is good but my, my.

I have Travelers for my car insurance, but no agent. I buy it directly from Travelers. I switched states last year (from my former home state to Florida), & my insurance did go up a bit (more than $100, less than $200). I thought it wasn't too awful.

Dusty_Star 03-25-2024 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty_Star (Post 2315355)
I have Travelers for my car insurance, but no agent. I buy it directly from Travelers. I switched states last year (from my former home state to Florida), & my insurance did go up a bit (more than $100, less than $200). I thought it wasn't too awful.

You say the least expensive increase is $800, but not what your base is.

Insurance prices change depending on different factors. Your car matters (ie: I've heard Kias are very expensive to insure), your credit rating matters, your driving record matters & so on.

retiredguy123 03-25-2024 01:13 PM

My auto insurance is with State Farm, which costs $424 for a 6-month policy. About half of the premium is for liability coverage of $1 million. Most auto insurance companies don't offer that much liability coverage.

Pballer 03-25-2024 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 2315359)
My auto insurance is with State Farm, which costs $424 for a 6-month policy. About half of the premium is for liability coverage of $1 million. Most auto insurance companies don't offer that much liability coverage.

That sounds awfully cheap. Do you have collision, comprehensive, and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage?

retiredguy123 03-25-2024 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pballer (Post 2315369)
That sounds awfully cheap. Do you have collision, comprehensive, and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage?

I have collision, comprehensive, liability, and whatever is mandatory. I do not have any uninsured motorist coverage. I have a 2017 Ford Escape.

barbara828 03-25-2024 06:55 PM

Mine's the same - TV Travelers - under 800

Southwest737 03-26-2024 04:18 AM

Like Dusty Star said. Drop the agent and keep Travelers.

golfing eagles 03-26-2024 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southwest737 (Post 2315472)
Like Dusty Star said. Drop the agent and keep Travelers.

Agree, even though their rate, like all others have gone up dramatically. I have 2 cars insured with comp ,collision, and 500K liability as well as uninsured motorist coverage.
2022-----$1109
2023-----$1699
2024-----$2089, equaling an 88% increase without any tickets or claims.

Still better and cheaper than competing quotes

GATORBILL66 03-26-2024 07:10 AM

Car insurance rates will continue to climb as long as these lawyers, such as Morgan & Morgan and Dan Newland keep getting million of their clients. The government needs to cap these outrageous payouts!

kmspla1952 03-26-2024 07:26 AM

Car Insurance

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions.

Update: received a letter from AAA (not the agent but the company) yesterday stating that THEY would continue the coverage in place of Travelers but for only a 6 month term. The other quotes I received were for a 6 month term also. Guess that's the way it is now - 6 months at a time. Anyway, the price given was "ballpark" to last years Traveler's policy and we will go with them.

I blame myself for being so reactionary. They mailed the renewal cancellation on 02-29 and our policy expires on 04-23. I immediately reacted by contacting other agents for quotes knowing that these things take time. AAA sent the letter I received yesterday, 3 weeks after the cancellation notice. I just should have waited. My situation resolved itself and now I have another "lesson learned" to add to my lessons of life.

Thank you all again.

Markus 03-26-2024 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 2315476)
Agree, even though their rate, like all others have gone up dramatically. I have 2 cars insured with comp ,collision, and 500K liability as well as uninsured motorist coverage.
2022-----$1109
2023-----$1699
2024-----$2089, equaling an 88% increase without any tickets or claims.

Still better and cheaper than competing quotes

It will continue to climb. Car accidents more and more cost more to repair than the vehicle is worth so more and more cars are junked. Electonics and safety stuff is very expensive to replace. The new tail lights on some F-150s are $5,500 each! That assisted safety stuff being cameras and the like that were not in cars just a few years ago and now standard stuff is not cheap to replace and they are in places that get destroyed in accidents. Vehicles are turning into throw away appliances. This all costs a great deal of money,

dewilson58 03-26-2024 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GATORBILL66 (Post 2315521)
Car insurance rates will continue to climb as long as these lawyers, such as Morgan & Morgan and Dan Newland keep getting million of their clients. The government needs to cap these outrageous payouts!

Not jus car insurance.....................Trucking insurance is out of control if you drive in Florida or California.
Some trucking companies refuse to drive in FL &/or CA.

"Everything" you buy comes by truck & you are paying for their insurance.

retiredguy123 03-26-2024 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmspla1952 (Post 2315531)
Thank you all for your replies and suggestions.

Update: received a letter from AAA (not the agent but the company) yesterday stating that THEY would continue the coverage in place of Travelers but for only a 6 month term. The other quotes I received were for a 6 month term also. Guess that's the way it is now - 6 months at a time. Anyway, the price given was "ballpark" to last years Traveler's policy and we will go with them.

I blame myself for being so reactionary. They mailed the renewal cancellation on 02-29 and our policy expires on 04-23. I immediately reacted by contacting other agents for quotes knowing that these things take time. AAA sent the letter I received yesterday, 3 weeks after the cancellation notice. I just should have waited. My situation resolved itself and now I have another "lesson learned" to add to my lessons of life.

Thank you all again.

Six month auto policies have been the industry standard for a long time. Companies that offer 12 month policies are in the minority.

Birdrm 03-26-2024 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty_Star (Post 2315355)

I recently changed insurance because of the new car I purchased, previously I was paying about $900 a year and with a lot of shopping I was able to get full coverage for around $1200 a year.