Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Contractors and Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/)
-   -   TV and sound bar set up (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/tv-sound-bar-set-up-348880/)

rjn5656 03-27-2024 06:51 PM

TV and sound bar set up

Looking for some techie help to set up tv and soundbars.

retiredguy123 03-27-2024 07:19 PM

You need an optical cable. Connect the cable to the audio output on the back of the TV and the other end to the optical input on the soundbar. Then, set your TV sound setting to "external speakers". That should be all you need to do.

MikeVillages 03-27-2024 07:54 PM

If you buy the equipment from B&H and used their credit card, they give you an instance rebat of the amount of the sale tax.
B&H Website site
Link to their credit info

MikeVillages 03-28-2024 04:27 AM

Many TVs & soundbars are connected using a hdmi cable, it also has a power cord. If the sound bar includes a subwoofer, try to get one that only needs a power connection and is wirelessly connected to the sound bar. Online stores usually have instructions & howto videos.

retiredguy123 03-28-2024 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeVillages (Post 2316308)
Many TVs & soundbars are connected using a hdmi cable, it also has a power cord. If the sound bar includes a subwoofer, try to get one that only needs a power connection and is wirelessly connected to the sound bar. Online stores usually have instructions & howto videos.

Many of the newer soundbars have an option to use an HDMI or an optical cable connection for the sound. But, I have found that using an optical cable is a simple hook up that provides equivalent digital sound to an HDMI cable. Most TVs have an optical audio output connection on the back that can be used to connect the TV directly to the soundbar. You do need to change the TV sound setting to "external speakers".

dewilson58 03-28-2024 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjn5656 (Post 2316282)
Looking for some techie help to set up tv and soundbars.

What kinda help???.....physically mounting, wiring, sync'g ???

FYI..............some of the new soundbars do not have cables.....optic or other.

rjn5656 03-28-2024 06:41 AM

Help

Looking for someone to sync soundbars with remote, help set up apple plays on all the tv's, etc.

dewilson58 03-28-2024 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjn5656 (Post 2316327)
Looking for someone to sync soundbars with remote, help set up apple plays on all the tv's, etc.

:thumbup:

Sorry, I'm an android guy............probably the same process, but there are apple "guys" out there.

Good Luck.

billethkid 03-28-2024 08:57 AM

sorta hitch hiking on the subject.....
Is there a truly wireless sound bar (except for power cord)?

retiredguy123 03-28-2024 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billethkid (Post 2316374)
sorta hitch hiking on the subject.....
Is there a truly wireless sound bar (except for power cord)?

There are wireless soundbars, but you still need to connect a transmitter to the audio output on your TV. In most setups, the soundbar is located under the TV, so having a wireless connection usually doesn't really make sense.

billethkid 03-28-2024 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 2316383)
There are wireless soundbars, but you still need to connect a transmitter to the audio output on your TV. In most setups, the soundbar is located under the TV, so having a wireless connection doesn't really make sense.

Limited access due to where the tv is located. Or the hdmi and optical connections already in use with other devices.

Two Bills 03-28-2024 11:07 AM

Also riding the topic, do sound bars make that much différance i.e. better than the tv surround system installed?
Will it enhance sound for someone with gradual hearing loss, namely my wife?
I am profoundly deaf, use my Bluetooth connection from hearing aids on other tv. or rely on subtitles on main television.

retiredguy123 03-28-2024 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Two Bills (Post 2316406)
Also riding the topic, do sound bars make that much différance i.e. better than the tv surround system installed?
Will it enhance sound for someone with gradual hearing loss, namely my wife?
I am profoundly deaf, use my Bluetooth connection from hearing aids on other tv. or rely on subtitles on main television.

Soundbars are way better than the built-in speakers that come with a TV. But, in my opinion, soundbars do not replace the sound produced by a 5-speaker, plus subwoofer, plus receiver, wired surround system. I think soundbars are popular because they are easy to install, do not require a lot of wiring, and do not require a separate receiver to power the speakers. Even if you buy wireless speakers, you still need to connect a transmitter to the receiver or TV and you need to plug in the speakers.

Two Bills 03-28-2024 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 2316409)
Soundbars are way better than the built-in speakers that come with a TV. But, in my opinion, soundbars do not replace the sound produced by a 5-speaker, plus subwoofer, plus receiver, wired surround system. I think soundbars are popular because they are easy to install, do not require a lot of wiring, and do not require a separate receiver to power the speakers. Even if you buy wireless speakers, you still need to connect a transmitter to the receiver or TV and you need to plug in the speakers.

Thanks 'retired' for reply.
Can't see us putting in the woofers etc. Sounds far too complicated for us.
Will stick with volume up, and subtitles.
Neighbors are all deaf as well, so volume not an issue!

Topspinmo 03-28-2024 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Two Bills (Post 2316434)
Thanks 'retired' for reply.
Can't see us putting in the woofers etc. Sounds far too complicated for us.
Will stick with volume up, and subtitles.
Neighbors are all deaf as well, so volume not an issue!

I’m half deaf and get migraines, don’t need no extra noise at my age. :sad: