Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Contractors and Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/)
-   -   Locksmith Recommends (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/locksmith-recommends-348938/)

Bunny1 03-29-2024 08:58 PM

Locksmith Recommends

My search for locksmiths bring up old dates, so am asking if anyone has recently used one to rekey their locks. Don't want to do it myself. Thanks for any input you can share!

retiredguy123 03-30-2024 01:52 AM

Affordable Lock, 352-259-8820, Lady Lake

gorillarick 03-30-2024 08:33 AM

Casper Lock N Alarm - Bellview

Once for a new cut and programmed car key.
Second time to rekey all my housekeys (front door, and inside garage door).

Fast, and extremely reasonable (about 25% of what car dealer quoted).

Here's the funny ?
I removed both locks from my doors and took them to him. Not so hard.

He took a look and kinda laughed: "do you know these are the same keys that are put in all new homes in The Villages so all the contractors and agents can have access to any house while being built?"

So for 15 years this house could have been opened by . . . . thousands of people?

Worth the drive.

retiredguy123 03-30-2024 08:44 AM

By the way, Affordable Lock is an inexpensive place to buy a key FOB and to get it programmed. Way cheaper than ACE Hardware and car dealers.

villagetinker 03-30-2024 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunny1 (Post 2316954)
My search for locksmiths bring up old dates, so am asking if anyone has recently used one to rekey their locks. Don't want to do it myself. Thanks for any input you can share!

You may be able to buy new lock sets and have a handyman install, but if you do this, be very careful about Kwikset lock sets. A neighbor recently asked me to remove and replace the door handle and deadbolt set. The new deadbolt would NOT fit in the existing holes in the door, and these could not be modified for the new deadbolt. Also, if you happen to have a Kwikset lockset many of these can be rekeyed with a simple tool, so you could buy the new set for the garage door, and use the tool to rekey the front door.

retiredguy123 03-30-2024 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 2317171)
You may be able to buy new lock sets and have a handyman install, but if you do this, be very careful about Kwikset lock sets. A neighbor recently asked me to remove and replace the door handle and deadbolt set. The new deadbolt would NOT fit in the existing holes in the door, and these could not be modified for the new deadbolt. Also, if you happen to have a Kwikset lockset many of these can be rekeyed with a simple tool, so you could buy the new set for the garage door, and use the tool to rekey the front door.

Here is a video showing how to rekey a lock. No equipment required except for a small gismo that the builder gave me when I bought my house, or you can buy it on Amazon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EftMqlzKmdk

Topspinmo 03-30-2024 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 2317175)
Here is a video showing how to rekey a lock. No equipment required except for a small gismo that the builder gave me when I bought my house, or you can buy it on Amazon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EftMqlzKmdk

What prevents anybody from rekeying those locks?

JMintzer 03-30-2024 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinmo (Post 2317238)
What prevents anybody from rekeying those locks?

You have to have the original key in order to change it to a new key...

Cuervo 03-31-2024 06:43 AM

A different approach

I know you said you do not want a do-it-yourself project, but I just replaced my lock with a battery keypad lock. It's great you can set a code or use a key and it took about 20minutes to remove the old and install the new. If I can do it, you could probably employ a high school kid to do it for you. If you go this route, it will most likely be less expensive than a locksmith.

eeroger 03-31-2024 07:04 AM

Try Lock-it-Up (Brian)
352-360-0300

coleprice 03-31-2024 08:21 AM

Xlint Locksmith: Brian Kessler - 352-360-0300

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunny1 (Post 2316954)

We used Brian Kessler, who can be reached at 352-360-0300. He was fast, effecient and reasonably priced.

phojo 03-31-2024 11:18 AM

Neal Purlee 352-874-0576

conman5652@aol.com 03-31-2024 08:56 PM

Wrong. You are correct about subcontracts having master key. Now when u settle the key when first release adds one more tumbler notch that now makes house lock unable to use master