Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Sumter County Sherif on MMP (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/sumter-county-sherif-mmp-349393/)

Papa_lecki 04-18-2024 06:59 PM

Sumter County Sherif on MMP

I followed a Sumter County Sherif, is a Sheriff Golf Car, with Red and Blue lights, on the MMP on Buena Vista from Eisenhower, around the gate, around the back of Mangrove, up BV, and under Buena Vista and he continued north.

Golf Car was well marked as a Sheriff’s vehicle - sherif inside had the green uniform on.

shaw8700@outlook.com 04-18-2024 07:09 PM

We saw him too - gave him a thumbs up!

Topspinmo 04-18-2024 08:58 PM

Need to be unmarked cart if he wants to ticket anyone. I can’t go mile on MMP without seeing several offending ticketing citations.

Papa_lecki 04-18-2024 09:25 PM

They will get plenty of drunk drivers and get you when you pass another cart.

dhdallas 04-18-2024 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa_lecki (Post 2322804)
I followed a Sumter County Sherif, is a Sheriff Golf Car, with Red and Blue lights, on the MMP on Buena Vista from Eisenhower, around the gate, around the back of Mangrove, up BV, and under Buena Vista and he continued north.

Golf Car was well marked as a Sheriff’s vehicle - sherif inside had the green uniform on.

And your point is??? They only have legal jurisdiction on the parts of the MMP which are physically part of a public roadway. They CANNOT legally enforce golf cart speed limits or stop sign actions on any MMP on TV property per Section 316.006, Florida Statutes

In order to be allowed to enforce traffic rules on TV property a written agreement must be signed between the law enforcement agency and TV. There is no such agreement.

Altavia 04-18-2024 10:02 PM

https://youtu.be/9s2QMWODhAU?si=koYpGM8lMDIQSqgx

https://youtu.be/KLFCDQrc6Go?si=zal3wRBva-7Uwc4v

MrChip72 04-18-2024 11:30 PM

What's the top speed on those? Asking for a friend.

Altavia 04-19-2024 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhdallas (Post 2322838)
And your point is??? They only have legal jurisdiction on the parts of the MMP which are physically part of a public roadway. They CANNOT legally enforce golf cart speed limits or stop sign actions on any MMP on TV property per Section 316.006, Florida Statutes

In order to be allowed to enforce traffic rules on TV property a written agreement must be signed between the law enforcement agency and TV. There is no such agreement.

So is it just a public relations thing or?

Normal 04-19-2024 05:56 AM

Golf Car Police

There have been a lot of golf car accidents and some of them have been quite serious. If the police presence even saves one life, it is worth it.

Dotneko 04-19-2024 06:00 AM

Quote:

Is any agreement required to be public knowledge? How do you know the Villages hasnt signed one? Who actually owns the MMPs?

Papa_lecki 04-19-2024 06:46 AM

Quote:

I don’t need a point, just that I saw a sheriff’s cart on the MMP. He didn’t turn to go onto Hillsborugh Trail, stayed north on the MMP.

The cart had to cost more than $20k, that is one heck of a PR expenditure.

Normal 04-19-2024 06:52 AM

Expenditure

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa_lecki (Post 2322887)
I don’t need a point, just that I saw a sheriff’s cart on the MMP. He didn’t turn to go onto Hillsborugh Trail, stayed north on the MMP.

The cart had to cost more than $20k, that is one heck of a PR expenditure.

You ain’t seen nothing yet till you are a resident of the Villages and Wildwood. Complete with 50 thousand dollar per space parking decks all because of the free taxpayer money.

Papa_lecki 04-19-2024 06:55 AM

Here’s a YouTube video of the cart

https://youtu.be/KLFCDQrc6Go?si=k-R46StnDh86DSZY

UsuallyLurking 04-19-2024 07:28 AM

North of 466 MMPs are owned by the individual districts. I believe that south of 466 that is the same; the difference *may* be that they are maintained by PWAC as part of common infrastructure. I have heard from Capt. Siemer (sp?), SCSO commander in The Villages area, that they cannot enforce traffic violations on the MMPs (speeding) as they are not public roads. The can enforce not stopping at a stop sign that crosses a public road, and they can enforce DUI violations anywhere.

tophcfa 04-19-2024 07:36 AM

Quote:

No worries, even if they did try to pull you over all you gotta do is keep driving until their electric cart runs out of juice : )