Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Something New and Different I Saw Last Night...Golf Car Strategy (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/something-new-different-i-saw-last-night-golf-car-strategy-349430/)

Laker14 04-20-2024 06:13 AM

Something New and Different I Saw Last Night...Golf Car Strategy

Right about sunset, I was coming home from a friend's house in my golf cart. Traveling south on Canal, approaching the Bonita traffic light, as I approached the exit gate a cart zoomed up from behind me, got right on my tail. I made the right on Bonita, and rather than passing me, he stuck about 5 feet off my back bumper. I kept slowing down so he'd go around me. It took a while but eventually he passed me. No license tag, and he was using the diamond lane.

When we got to the Buena Vista roundabout, rather than taking the mandatory left onto the MMP in order to negotiate BV via the tunnel, he went through the roundabout, very fast, ( there was no traffic at that moment on BV or on the roundabout so he had a clear shot), and like a rocket was gone, down St. Charles.

I was torn between being incensed at his blatant disregard for the rules of the road, and being amazed at his daring and brilliance in shaving a good 45 seconds off of his travel time.

I felt like Mr. Magoo puttering along at my pedestrian 18mph enjoying the beautiful evening air.

rustyp 04-20-2024 06:29 AM

Either way he broke the law. If his cart is street legal he broke the law by being in the cart lane on a public street. If his cart is not street legal he broke the law by driving on B Vista not in a cart lane and in the traffic circle.

Altavia 04-20-2024 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laker14 (Post 2323228)
Right about sunset, I was coming home from a friend's house in my golf cart. Traveling south on Canal, approaching the Bonita traffic light, as I approached the exit gate a cart zoomed up from behind me, got right on my tail. I made the right on Bonita, and rather than passing me, he stuck about 5 feet off my back bumper. I kept slowing down so he'd go around me. It took a while but eventually he passed me. No license tag, and he was using the diamond lane.

When we got to the Buena Vista roundabout, rather than taking the mandatory left onto the MMP in order to negotiate BV via the tunnel, he went through the roundabout, very fast, ( there was no traffic at that moment on BV or on the roundabout so he had a clear shot), and like a rocket was gone, down St. Charles.

I was torn between being incensed at his blatant disregard for the rules of the road, and being amazed at his daring and brilliance in shaving a good 45 seconds off of his travel time.

I felt like Mr. Magoo puttering along at my pedestrian 18mph enjoying the beautiful evening air.

LOL, just need to get out of the way off the fools, which is not so easy when in a diamond land.

I love it when they cut over early to avoid the crossing at the gate and zoom up the exit lane.

Not suggestion to do it but if the speed limit in a roundabout is 20 mph, is it illegal?

There's a residential street into a Meggison roundabout at Okahumpka Rec Center that does not have a "No carts past this point sign." Noticed Carts frequently crossing there to get to the rec center?

fdpaq0580 04-20-2024 06:52 AM

Quote:

Maybe he is a secret agent on his way to save the world. But, more likely, just another self entitled "it's all about me" axehowl.

Joeint 04-20-2024 06:54 AM

Quote:

I loved watching Mr Magoo!

Randall55 04-20-2024 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 (Post 2323250)
Maybe he is a secret agent on his way to save the world. But, more likely, just another self entitled "it's all about me" axehowl.

Always amazes me when someone speeds and ignores the rules of the road because they can't handle the slow speed of their golf cart. Here's a suggestion for them, IF YOU ARE IN A HURRY TAKE YOUR CAR.

Laker14 04-20-2024 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randall55 (Post 2323256)
Always amazes me when someone speeds and ignores the rules of the road because they can't handle the slow speed of their golf cart. Here's a suggestion for them, IF YOU ARE IN A HURRY TAKE YOUR CAR.

I suspect that when he's in an automobile, 10 mph over the limit is not acceptable either, and he'd be doing 50 on BV.

MrFlorida 04-20-2024 08:24 AM

Where's the Sheriff in the golf cart when you need him ?

OrangeBlossomBaby 04-20-2024 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randall55 (Post 2323256)

Unless you live in the Historic Section, and want to get to Spanish Springs town square. It's actually quicker by golf cart. No traffic lights.

gorillarick 04-20-2024 09:15 AM

correction 10 miles over on BV is 45mph

BigSteph 04-20-2024 11:16 AM

I saw something different last night. On the other side of Meggison across from Sawgrass, golf carts were lined up on the grass up against the road. I guess you might need to drive on golf course to get there, but I could be wrong.

I figure Wingnut will be all over this soon enough.

Laker14 04-20-2024 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gorillarick (Post 2323347)
correction 10 miles over on BV is 45mph

who are correcting? did someone say otherwise?

Shipping up to Boston 04-20-2024 12:22 PM

Quote:

Did you at least raise your fist and yell ‘Road Hog’! ;)

MsPCGenius 04-20-2024 12:59 PM

I'm tempted....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altavia (Post 2323247)
There's a residential street into a Meggison roundabout at Okahumpka Rec Center that does not have a "No carts past this point sign." Noticed Carts frequently crossing there to get to the rec center?

As a resident of that neighborhood, I am often tempted to bypass the cart path down to the tunnel and then back up the other side to get to Lake O Rec. The round-about route would save so much time.

Ah well, would if I could, but I can't so I don't... :sad:

Altavia 04-20-2024 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsPCGenius (Post 2323411)
As a resident of that neighborhood, I am often tempted to bypass the cart path down to the tunnel and then back up the other side to get to Lake O Rec. The round-about route would save so much time.

Ah well, would if I could, but I can't so I don't... :sad:

It might be worth asking the question. Either they missed putting up a sign or it is permitted.

May be less risky compared to golf carts on the roads without diamond lanes around Colony Plaza and Moyer Loop by the Walmart.