Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, New Members Forum (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/)
-   -   Koi pond/waterfall (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/koi-pond-waterfall-349664/)

wawriwwawriw 04-29-2024 06:12 AM

Koi pond/waterfall

Any recommendation for installer for a pond/waterfall.

thelegges 04-29-2024 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wawriwwawriw (Post 2326214)

Do you plan on inside a bird cage, otherwise it’s a captive fishery for predators

Bogie Shooter 04-29-2024 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thelegges (Post 2326220)
Do you plan on inside a bird cage, otherwise it’s a captive fishery for predators

Have a koi pond for over 15 years…….never lost a fish to a predator.
Sorry about your experience losing fish.

thelegges 04-29-2024 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 2326230)
Have a koi pond for over 15 years…….never lost a fish to a predator.
Sorry about your experience losing fish.

At our other house pond was large, we kept it for 2 years, then just used it as a water feature.

At this house we back to a prairie and watch at least 20 plus hawks, and couple young eagles fly feet from our birdcage everyday. One hawk sits on neighbors roof, and watches our 5lb Himalayan, for hours. I think he is scoping out, how to open the screen doors:1rotfl:

villagetinker 04-29-2024 09:37 AM

OP, you will probably need to start calling landscape companies to see who what can do you want. Our neighbors installed an outdoor waterfall feature, it was a maintenance disaster there were enough leaves in the area to clog the pumps, the water was almost always green. The new owners do not use it. If you are doing this inside a birdcage, then I would look at a premade (molded) or kit type unit as some of these are very nice.

Altavia 04-29-2024 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 2326340)
OP, you will probably need to start calling landscape companies to see who what can do you want. Our neighbors installed an outdoor waterfall feature, it was a maintenance disaster there were enough leaves in the area to clog the pumps, the water was almost always green. The new owners do not use it. If you are doing this inside a birdcage, then I would look at a premade (molded) or kit type unit as some of these are very nice.

We had a pondless waterfall in NC. It attracted frogs, which attracted snakes, which were mostly copperheads there.

Veracity 04-30-2024 05:45 AM

My friend's koi pond didn't last long. The birds turned it into a bloodbath.

Cuervo 04-30-2024 05:49 AM

I built my own small pond with a waterfall upstate N.Y., had fish in it for two years. The only issue I had was I found a dead possum in it one day. Must have gotten in and couldn't get out.
I now have a nice size fountain in my birdcage which I purchase at a nursery. I've had it for 11 years, it run constantly, and I've only replaced the pump once which was no big deal.

eeroger 04-30-2024 06:04 AM

Koi Pond

Quote:

Our neighbors used Touch of Paradise from Ocala. They also maintain the pond.

wawriwwawriw 04-30-2024 06:11 AM

This is my third pond in Fl. Aware of the problem, thanks

cherylncliff 04-30-2024 06:44 AM

Quote:

We did ours with Village Palms. Do not put fish in outside pond, too many predators.

DrHitch 04-30-2024 06:56 AM

The best place to gather up some ideas for your ideal water feature is to do a picture search on pinterest.com...then shop around. There are lots of these koi ponds/waterfalls available through local farm supply companies or online via Wayfair, etc

TomPerry 04-30-2024 07:31 AM

Quote:

I have a water garden/koi pond in Massachusetts and had over 100 fish. The blue herons ate every one! I restocked for two years and each year they ate ALL the fish. Tried everything to keep them away, but nothing worked! Now the frogs have it to themselves! Except for an occasional frog that the hawks get!

KristenA 04-30-2024 07:37 AM

My husband wants to do the same.. He built one in PA with a waterfall and would love to have one here.

pablo cruze 04-30-2024 09:53 AM

Quote:

DYI is your best bet. You can sub out some labor. There are a lot of people around looking for non skilled work. Just do a little investigation. Materials online or at Lowes. I seen several shows on TV where people complete in one or two days.
The sandy soil is very easy to dig with a spade.
Getting a contractor is a waste of money, and an invitation to get scammed. Contractors working for village people is like shooting fish in a barrel. Maybe even some are under the Morse Cartel umbrella.