Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Here we go...Toto! (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/here-we-go-toto-35528/)

tpop1 01-25-2011 05:11 PM

Here we go...Toto!

Technology is great....alarms going off, cell phone and home phone ringing with warning messages and I sit here on the internet with nary a care! Oblivious?

Out the window, rain going sideways, winds sounds like a train, but nothing really bad happening here.

Any other reports from within TV???

Hope all is well with everyone!

graciegirl 01-25-2011 05:28 PM

Alright in Hadley. Sure was a lot of rain and wind.

Direct TV is ON again and saying another line of storms is heading toward us.

If only I knew some of these towns and where they are.

gardenia 01-25-2011 05:34 PM

so far so good in Tamarind Grove

Just lots of rain and thunder in Tamarind Grove, and two phone calls from CodeRed over an hour ago saying to take cover. Weather radio went off a few times about an hour ago, but nice and quiet for some time now. I did take the warning seriously and am in my bathroom with wireless working just fine.

ajbrown 01-25-2011 05:37 PM

What storm :shrug: :jester:? Car in garage, went wireless on laptop just in case. To my eye things here is Mallory winding down. Just an old fashion front here, wind and rain, I did not see hail. Seems that red/purple front through, so I think just rain now (Alan is no meteorologist)

To all my friends in MA, I believe you get to enjoy this same front tomorrow?

Redtail 01-25-2011 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gardenia (Post 325794)
Just lots of rain and thunder in Tamarind Grove, and two phone calls from CodeRed over an hour ago saying to take cover. Weather radio went off a few times about an hour ago, but nice and quiet for some time now. I did take the warning seriously and am in my bathroom with wireless working just fine.

these are typical florida thunderstorm evenings. problem is too much technology and over eager reporters! its easy to get scared listening to all these warnings.

skyguy79 01-25-2011 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 325788)
Alright in Hadley. Sure was a lot of rain and wind.

Direct TV is ON again and saying another line of storms is heading toward us.

If only I knew some of these towns and where they are.

I'm here in my little corner of Hadley and all's dark, cloudy with a little bit of lightning except..... for a small ray of sunshine emanating out of the top of Graciegirl's house!
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/h...hinesmiley.gif

2newyorkers 01-25-2011 05:40 PM

Everything fine in Tall Trees. Did hear on FOX news that a tornado may have touched down in TV.

Regor 01-25-2011 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2newyorkers (Post 325800)
Everything fine in Tall Trees. Did hear on FOX news that a tornado may have touched down in TV.

On FOX you could hear almost anything! Can you believe any of it?

skyguy79 01-25-2011 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2newyorkers (Post 325800)

... ain't touchn' that one with a ten foot pole. Not me, no siree!
http://www.bedfordplayers.ns.ca/news...2/12010492.GIF

VillagesFlorida 01-25-2011 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redtail (Post 325796)
these are typical florida thunderstorm evenings. problem is too much technology and over eager reporters! its easy to get scared listening to all these warnings.

I used to feel the same way until I witnessed the destructive effects of tornado that came through The Villages on February 2nd, 2007. Now, we pay attention and prepare. IF in the end it all seemed over-dramatized that is OK. I don't want to end up one day with my personal belongings hanging out of trees, a mile away, as was the case with the homes that were destroyed early that morning. And, perhaps if I hadn't seen the destruction for myself I might still have a lackadaisical attitude when these warnings come over the TV. For the next few hours, until the all-clear is sounded, several changes of clothes and personal belongings, including inportant paperwork, will remain in our vehicle in the garage. It seems to me to be the safest place to leave such things at a time like this.

pooh 01-25-2011 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VillagesFlorida (Post 325807)
I used to feel the same way until I witnessed the destructive effects of tornado that came through The Villages on February 2nd, 2007. Now, we pay attention and prepare. IF in the end it all seemed over-dramatized that is OK. I don't want to end up one day with my personal belongings hanging out of trees, a mile away, as was the case with the homes that were destroyed early that morning. And, perhaps if I hadn't seen the destruction for myself I might still have a lackadaisical attitude when these warnings come over the TV. For the next few hours, until the all-clear is sounded, several changes of clothes and personal belongings, including inportant paperwork, will remain in our vehicle in the garage. It seems to me to be the safest place to leave such things at a time like this.

I'm with you on this one, VF. I looked out from my front yard and saw Mallory....no roof when that tornado struck in Feb or 2007. Drove to my Mom-in-law's house in Sabal Chase and houses were destroyed, trees were damaged, insulation was all over the place. My weather radio has been going off all afternoon, tv is on, but there are areas where rotation has been noted at elevated levels. As a matter of fact, one of those areas was over TV this afternoon.
Had friends who were impacted by that tornado, took them totally by surprise and they were fortunate not to have been injured....roof fell on part of their house.

Florida has severe thunderstorms, Florida has tornados, being prepared is wise. People who live in other parts of the country prepare for their natural disaster events, so should we.

ricthemic 01-25-2011 06:19 PM

POLO RIDGE, nada but the wife is still in the closet with the dog

Redtail 01-25-2011 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pooh (Post 325811)
I'm with you on this one, VF. I looked out from my front yard and saw Mallory....no roof when that tornado struck in Feb or 2007. Drove to my Mom-in-law's house in Sabal Chase and houses were destroyed, trees were damaged, insulation was all over the place. My weather radio has been going off all afternoon, tv is on, but there are areas where rotation has been noted at elevated levels. As a matter of fact, one of those areas was over TV this afternoon.
Had friends who were impacted by that tornado, took them totally by surprise and they were fortunate not to have been injured....roof fell on part of their house.

Florida has severe thunderstorms, Florida has tornados, being prepared is wise. People who live in other parts of the country prepare for their natural disaster events, so should we.

being prepared is one thing. scaring elderly people living alone is quite another!

elevatorman 01-25-2011 06:38 PM

Tree in road, Griffin Rd. Lake county.

VillagesFlorida 01-25-2011 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redtail (Post 325816)
being prepared is one thing. scaring elderly people living alone is quite another!

I hear you, Redtail. But, I think you would rather be scared and alive than dead. I think that the media gives us time and the opportunity to protect ourselves if that is what we choose to do. There is almost nothing so scary as the thunder storms we get here. I certainly understand that living alone must only add to the anxiety level. Do what I do: Turn that anxiety and fear into something positive by preparing, so you can make it through a tornado, should one touch down. I was as busy as a beaver for a half hour, dragging stuff out to the van in the garage! I almost didn't have time to be scared! I wish you well during future storms. I think we are ALL scared, truth be known.