Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, New Members Forum (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/)
-   -   Request input on moving and where to buy furniture (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/request-input-moving-where-buy-furniture-35536/)

pbeinetti 01-25-2011 08:05 PM

Request input on moving and where to buy furniture

My wife and I have our house for sale, and are planning to move to TV. I have a couple of questions for people who have already made the move:

1. We are going to sell most of our furniture, come to TV and rent while we look for a home. That means we'll need to store some furniture, and belongings, in the TV area. Anyone find a relatively inexpensive way to move, and store on the TV end?

2. Since we'll be buying most of our furniture, where can good, and relatively inexpensive, used furniture be purchased? Are estate sales frequent? Are there good used furniture stores? Are there new furniture stores that are inexpensive?

Thanks for your help,

Peter

VillagesFlorida 01-25-2011 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbeinetti (Post 325859)
My wife and I have our house for sale, and are planning to move to TV. I have a couple of questions for people who have already made the move:

1. We are going to sell most of our furniture, come to TV and rent while we look for a home. That means we'll need to store some furniture, and belongings, in the TV area. Anyone find a relatively inexpensive way to move, and store on the TV end?

2. Since we'll be buying most of our furniture, where can good, and relatively inexpensive, used furniture be purchased? Are estate sales frequent? Are there good used furniture stores? Are there new furniture stores that are inexpensive?

Thanks for your help,

Peter

The least expensive way to move is to rent a truck and do it yourself. Perhaps you could get by using a smaller truck or a van. I don't know how much it costs to rent a storage locker in this area. I do know that there are lots of storage facilities around The Villages so maybe you can shop them for the best deal. As for good, relatively inexpensive firniture, subscribe to The Villages Daily Sun and watch the classified ads....lots of nice used furniture and household items are listed there all the time. There are also several consignment shops in the area and you might find something for a good price in one of those. I have friends who bought some decent furniture at Big Lots, of all places! Furniture stores have sales all the time and Showcase Direct here in the Villages and Kane's In Ocala both offer furniture in all price ranges.

silvertoken 01-25-2011 08:32 PM

Quote:

Thanks for your help,

Peter

Pete,
We are moving also very soon, Check the Walmart online since they have a few there. Seems to be lots of choices for furniture online and they ship for free to the nearest store. By the way they may of had a tornado around 7:30 tonight. trying to get the details now,

pklein9747 01-25-2011 09:12 PM

Pete,

We bought back in December and while the house came partly furnished, we did need master bedroom furniture, a couch and lanai furniture. We decided to treat ourselves to a brand new bedroom set (after 33 years) and bought that and the couch at Showcase Direct. Really nice furniture, free delivery and great service. We bought our lanai furniture and some other items a Neerlee New Furnishings on 441/27 south. (Take 466 or 466A all the way out to 441/27 and turn right, it will be about 1-2 miles on your right) Got some good deals there.

Enjoy...furnishing your new home is just the start of your new dream home and life!!!

Pat

JenAjd 01-25-2011 10:15 PM

You can get some great items at a consignment store called Bargains and Treasures (it's in Oxford) up off from 466 and 301. Sometimes people purchases furnished houses where the furniture is new and they either don't like it or can't use it and it ends up there. We got our bedroom set there and it doesn't look used at all.
Showcase Direct is awesome as well...they offer a % off for living in T.V. plus free delivery and they stand behind their stuff too.

graciegirl 01-26-2011 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JenAjd (Post 325882)
You can get some great items at a consignment store called Bargains and Treasures (it's in Oxford) up off from 466 and 301. Sometimes people purchases furnished houses where the furniture is new and they either don't like it or can't use it and it ends up there. We got our bedroom set there and it doesn't look used at all.
Showcase Direct is awesome as well...they offer a % off for living in T.V. plus free delivery and they stand behind their stuff too.

I so agree!!!

Bargains and Treasures really has BARGAINS AND TREASURES and almost everyone I know has found very nice and not shabby or used looking things there. They told me that they pick up ten loads a DAY and so the merchandise is always changing. AND like many, if you are tired of what you HAD, they will sell it for you.

I like to go there, even now that we are all set to see what things they have. I have found inexpensive lamps there that I have painted and even an exact match chair and ottoman that goes with the couch we brought with us. Barefoot can vouch for that, because she has sat upon it and she liked it!!

A lot of us snowbirds have really found some great deals filling up our second house in other places; Dockside in Leesburg comes to my mind too. I am sure others will tell you of great places too.

Coconuts 01-26-2011 07:21 AM

I vote for Babette's on 441 South of TV. They have a huge showroom with furniture in a wide price range. Lots of decorative items, too. The sales people are great-helpful but no pressure as they say they receive no commission. When I first moved here, I rushed and bought lots of stuff from Showcase Direct. I'm now replacing a few things with items from Babette's. My new chair is coming tomorrow. Yippee!

BaylorBear 01-26-2011 12:09 PM

Quote:

Thanks for your help,

Peter

BARGAINS & TREASURES would be my pick. Have gotten several very good items there for very reasonable prices.:pepper2:

F16 1UB 01-26-2011 03:15 PM

Yep

Bargains & Treasures :thumbup: Just get there before Village Kid & nONIE or it's gone.

earickis 01-26-2011 03:24 PM

Don't forget about Ikea in Orlando. You have to assemble, but they have good design and value. We incorporated several of their more functional pieces for the office, etc, and used the money we saved for other things.

starflyte1 01-26-2011 04:32 PM

Consignment Furniture

There is Lifestyle Consignment Furniture in Belleview that has a small but nice selection of furniture. It is just north of the flea market on the east side of 441/27. Like Bargins and Treasures, their furniture selection changes almost daily.

And, Carriage Trade in Ocala is another place. It is very large and has the furniture well displayed.

Don't forget Craigslist, Ocala. If you keep checking, occasionally you can find some very nice, quality furniture.

skyguy79 01-26-2011 05:38 PM

We just moved in to our house on Sunday and in the last few day we have been having furnature deliveries. We stopped at Bargans and Treasures and although they had some nice thing, we didn't relly find anything that suited us. As for other used furnature places we liked Neerlee New Furnishings and Furniture Barn Consignment. They had considerably more stuff than Bargains and Treasurers and we got most of our furnishings from these two places! We also got some new stuff from whites-furniture.com‎ and thesleepcenter.biz‎. :mornincoffee:

vj1213 01-26-2011 06:30 PM

I also like Babbette's, they also gave me a 10% discounts. I also bought a couple of things from Conways which is right next door to Babbette's (free delivery) and bought my dining room furniture at Kent's.
I also recently discovered the Home Goods stores, there are 4 of them in about a 30 mile radius...love them (they have everything for your home) & great prices.

2BNTV 01-26-2011 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vj1213 (Post 326095)
I also like Babbette's, they also gave me a 10% discounts. I also bought a couple of things from Conways which is right next door to Babbette's (free delivery) and bought my dining room furniture at Kent's.
I also recently discovered the Home Goods stores, there are 4 of them in about a 30 mile radius...love them (they have everything for your home) & great prices.

I don't mean to hijack this theread but I am so glad to hear there is a Home Goods store in TV area. I have bought bedroom items in CT and there quality and prices are great.

Bought sheets and pillows and I feel like I'm sleeping on a cloud.

ssmith 01-26-2011 09:25 PM

bump

thought I had better give this one a bump so it goes back to the top and does not disappear again