Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Contractors and Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/)
-   -   damaged vinyl siding (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/damaged-vinyl-siding-35559/)

tom60 01-26-2011 11:29 AM

damaged vinyl siding

I have a question. About two months ago my next door neighbors lawn service was mowing and edging his yard. The guy withthe weedeater was going between my house and his. The houses are very close together. The weedeater picked up a stone from my neighbors property and threw it into my house breaking out a piece of vinyl siding about the size of a half dollar. Its not that large but needs to be fixed. Now my question is how long should i waite for the owner of the lawn service to replace the panel. We called him twice. He finally came out with his lawn crew and cut out a bigger piece of the siding so he could match the color correctly. That was a month ago. He keeps telling me he is going to replace the damaged panel. The whole accident happened about two months ago now. How long do i waite. What can i do? I need some advice.Thanks

Bill-n-Brillo 01-26-2011 11:39 AM

Tom - Maybe ask him for a specific date when he'll have the repair done. Seems to me like you've been more than patient. In his world, he's liable to be thinking that it's no big deal and that he'll get to it whenever.........since he not being pushed to get it done.

JMHO

Bill

tom60 01-26-2011 11:51 AM

I tried to be nice about it bill since it was an accident but now its been almost two months im sort of worrying about water getting under there and doing some real damage. Do you think i should just hire someone to fix it and take my losses?

zcaveman 01-26-2011 12:09 PM

I bugged my lawn service guy until he came out and fixed a hole in my siding. It was a rock from one of my flower beds but he still fixed it.

I would ask for a specific date to make sure it was fixed.

tom60 01-26-2011 12:21 PM

I asked him when he was going to fix it and he said he was going to get a new peice of siding and match the color and be back and he gave me a day. Cant remember when it was now since the day has come and gone. I guess this guy doesnt mind telling little lies either.Im about ready to just call someone reputable to fix it and pay for it myself. It wont cost that much but its just the principal of the thing.

drdodge 01-26-2011 12:31 PM

siding

I would not wait more than a week. There is a place in Wildwood that sells siding and you can go there and pick up piece and fix it yourself. very easy to do. You can buy a tool that will go under the siding and it unlocks the joint. The place that sells the siding is on the right just before the entrance to the turnpike entrance on 301

wesmin 01-26-2011 12:36 PM

repair

fix it and give bill to neighbor to collect

Sherman931 01-26-2011 02:54 PM

Agree with wesmin

Bill-n-Brillo 01-26-2011 02:56 PM

Tom - In your shoes, I'd call the guy back one last time and get a commitment from him re: a date when he'll fix it. If you really want to turn the burner up a notch, ask him why it hasn't been taken care of already. Let him know you're not pleased (you're showing him a bit of displeasure) and/or that you're really counting on him to take care of it and that you're sure he will (trying to make him feel bad). Call him a day or two ahead to make sure he's not contracted a case of amnesia. And if he doesn't show, call him and ask him what the problem seems to be.

Or you can take your Plan B route: Forget about the bozo and just do it yourself. Or a Plan C: Find out where he lives and take a tour of his yard and shrubbery with your car/truck, preferably right after he's watered heavily.............. (That's to be construed as a JOKE!! :jester: )

Hope you're able to get it resolved to your satisfaction. I do understand your point about it being mostly the principle of the thing.

Bill

tom60 01-26-2011 04:08 PM

I appreciate all of the good suggestions on how to solve this. My problem is im sort of a quiet person and i sure dont like to start a shouting match with this guy. I dont trust myself to fix it. Im gonna think about this for a few more days. Thanks.

otherbruddaDarrell 01-26-2011 04:23 PM

The other thing is to give the guy a deadline. Tell him if it is not repaired by that date that you will have a contractor repair it and that after paying the contractor you will take him to small claims court for the money spent plus court costs.

rubicon 01-26-2011 04:52 PM

Vinyl Siding

The fact that you are a quiet and patient person is exactly why the contractor is ignoring the situation. Damaged siding is an open invitation to water and critters. The fix is easy and inexpensve. I hope it all works out well for you.

Mikitv 01-26-2011 07:24 PM

I would send him something in writing, telling him you have been patient and it is now time to fix it. Also tell him you will report him to Crimes against Seniors at the sheriffs dept. At least with a letter you have documented it. Sounds like he is operating with out insurance and figures you will just give it.

Mikitv 01-26-2011 07:29 PM

I would send him something in writing, telling him you have been patient and it is now time to fix it. Also tell him you will report him to Crimes against Seniors at the sheriffs dept. At least with a letter you have documented it. Sounds like he is operating with out insurance and figures you will just give up.

LittleDog 01-26-2011 08:54 PM

The same thing happened to me and when I reported it to my lawn guy he said that he had a person that could repair it and it was repaired in a week. I guess this guy was on a retainer. In any case it was fixed. I think all lawn guys have someone that repairs these types of things as it's probably fairly common.

John