Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Honking in the Villages at Savannah Center (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/honking-villages-savannah-center-35591/)

teachnmo 01-27-2011 11:15 AM

Honking in the Villages at Savannah Center

My husband and I went to the event yesterday evening at Savannah Center. It was a rather large crowd since the event the prior evening had been cancelled due to weather. As we were leaving the parking lot in our car, more than one car was honking their horns at the people pulled up to exit the lot to try and hurry them along (I guess). WHY HONK YOUR HORN??? Everyone is leaving as soon as possible. Turn up your radio, enjoy the music. If you have to go to the restroom, do it before you leave. I can't imagine any reason good enough to disturb the rest of the participants evening with your horn honking...unless it would be a medical emergency. Next time, relax. That parking lot will be empty soon enough. Thanks!!

2BNTV 01-27-2011 11:44 AM

Some people are in a hurry to go nowhere. :)

My nephew once said that I don't drive fast. It's just that I have to be first.

I now take my time going somewhere. I get there when I get there.

It's much less stressful.

Barefoot 01-27-2011 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teachnmo (Post 326234)
My husband and I went to the event yesterday evening at Savannah Center. It was a rather large crowd since the event the prior evening had been cancelled due to weather. As we were leaving the parking lot in our car, more than one car was honking their horns at the people pulled up to exit the lot to try and hurry them along (I guess). WHY HONK YOUR HORN??? Everyone is leaving as soon as possible. Turn up your radio, enjoy the music. If you have to go to the restroom, do it before you leave. I can't imagine any reason good enough to disturb the rest of the participants evening with your horn honking...unless it would be a medical emergency. Next time, relax. That parking lot will be empty soon enough. Thanks!!

Chances are, the people who did the honking are way too busy to be spending time reading posts on TOTV. :girlneener: But I agree with you that impatient behaviour just makes life miserable for everyone.

One of my favourite things to do in a line-up at a supermarket is to offer to people behind me that they can jump the queue and go first. It is amazing how important it is to people to save a few minutes. You'd think I'd handed them $100! And these people are Wrinklies! :confused:

graciegirl 01-27-2011 01:33 PM

That is bad manners. Yes it is. One of these days PTurner, Redwitch and I are gonna beat up on those honkers.

paulandjean 01-27-2011 01:38 PM

honking

Maybe there was a reason for their honking? Do you think. Horns are put on these carts for a reason. Do you think?

ceejay 01-27-2011 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulandjean (Post 326290)
Maybe there was a reason for their honking? Do you think. Horns are put on these carts for a reason. Do you think?

Teachnmo mentioned that people were honking their CAR horns to hurry up the ones in front of them to get out of the parking lot. They were there and I believe them.

Gracie, PT and Red...call me for back up if need be!

mulligan 01-27-2011 06:14 PM

Friday Headline-Village Sun , 1/28/2011 GANG ACTIVITY IN THE VILLAGES

skyguy79 01-27-2011 06:45 PM

Many many years ago I might have been tempted to get out of my car, go up to the honker :shocked: with a smile on my face and say... "Good evening sir (ma'am), what is it that I could do for you?" I might even been considerate enough to have left the baseball bat in the car!
http://www.freehobo.com/forum/images...PS-128x128.png:a20:

redwitch 01-27-2011 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 326287)
That is bad manners. Yes it is. One of these days PTurner, Redwitch and I are gonna beat up on those honkers.

Nah, we don't need to beat 'em up -- just open their hoods, gently bend their torsos towards the engine and apply a very heavy hand to the horn. That should take care of the cretins.

graciegirl 01-27-2011 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulandjean (Post 326290)

Well. Yes. However, most people that I grew up with used them less than a dozen times in their lifetime.

(Sometimes I exaggerate for effect.)

Pturner 01-28-2011 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 326287)

:thumbup::highfive: Red's proposed method should do the trick.

paulandjean 01-28-2011 03:26 PM

honking

Or maybe they where "hard of Hearing. Or, They where not paying attention.Many reasons, no big deal.

skyguy79 01-28-2011 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulandjean (Post 326553)
Or maybe they where "hard of Hearing. Or, They where not paying attention.Many reasons, no big deal.

Or maybe they had such a good time and were so happy that they were whooping it up a little!
:MOJE_whot:

Pturner 01-28-2011 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulligan (Post 326375)
Friday Headline-Village Sun , 1/28/2011 GANG ACTIVITY IN THE VILLAGES

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat! Would you or someone please start a new thread and tell us what it said, for those of us not in TV.

batman911 01-29-2011 02:10 PM

Horn honking is the way rude people tell you that they are more important than you are and they want you to get out of their way.

paulandjean 01-29-2011 05:57 PM

honking

Or honking, Is a way people tell you You are doing something Wrong.

downeaster 01-29-2011 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barefoot (Post 326285)
Chances are, the people who did the honking are way too busy to be spending time reading posts on TOTV. :girlneener: But I agree with you that impatient behaviour just makes life miserable for everyone.

One of my favourite things to do in a line-up at a supermarket is to offer to people behind me that they can jump the queue and go first. It is amazing how important it is to people to save a few minutes. You'd think I'd handed them $100! And these people are Wrinklies! :confused:

Got a honk the other day while turning onto Southern Trace. I guess I was not fast enough. Ms Honker stayed behind me and we never broke the speed limit. She also followed me onto Oak Forest then Talley Ridge. at 25MPH. I am sure she would have tried to pass me if oncoming traffic had permitted.

WRINKLIES!? I haven't heard that expression this side of the Atlantic.

Barefoot 01-29-2011 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by downeaster (Post 326819)
WRINKLIES!? I haven't heard that expression this side of the Atlantic.

Whoops .. I guess that is my Canadian heritage showing. We often call older people Wrinklies (and now I am one). :yuck::eek:

K9-Lovers 01-29-2011 08:14 PM

When I was younger, we called old people "the blue hair crowd" or the "geritol group" and now I'm one (but my hair is not blue yet).

Pturner 01-29-2011 09:36 PM

Wrinklies. :a20:

ajdeck 01-30-2011 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teachnmo (Post 326234)

Isn't too bad people just can't enjoy their retirement, after all why did they retire if they are in such a rush. Maybe they are hoping they can rush to the end of their life without ever having to smell the roses...

Taltarzac 01-30-2011 07:55 AM

Could be they were in a hurry to let their pooch out on Fumar's huge yard.

graciegirl 01-30-2011 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulandjean (Post 326812)
Or honking, Is a way people tell you You are doing something Wrong.

You are right Paul and Jean, the horn is there to warn others, but this appears to be a situation where the horn is used to annoy, vent, show power, or lack of patience.

AND we pretty much have ascertained who the honkers are and who the honkers aren't and how most people feel about honking.

Now, let's tackle the people who push by you at Publix and don't say excuse me.

Or the people who don't wave and smile back in golf carts.

OR....we could revisit the dog poop issue. That gets a lot of folks excited.

Taltarzac 01-30-2011 08:40 AM

Personally, I have heard the least amount of honking (by vehicles at least) here in the Villages than anywhere else I have lived and drove a vehicle of some sort. I did not own a car in Minneapolis-St. Paul but got around with their excellent bus system.

Cynbod 01-30-2011 09:04 AM

Silly Mistakes

We are snowflakes and just recently purchased a golf car. We spent at least 2 0r 3 minutes with the horm blowing before we realized what it was. Fortunately, we were in our driveway and there are few homes around. We have blown it several times when we mistakenly put a foot over the button. If you hear a cart blowing a horn for no reason it is probably us. It won't last long, when we are there we have no agenda except relaxation and fun!

Barefoot 01-30-2011 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cynbod (Post 326896)

We have blown it several times when we mistakenly put a foot over the button.

Driving with your feet frees up both hands for waving.

gary42651 01-30-2011 09:47 PM

I can remember a time when you honked your horn, it was to say hello, and we called old people wobblies.

Pturner 01-30-2011 10:35 PM

We're not in Kansas

Blue-haired, Geritol-drinking, wrinklie, wobblies, oh my!

Pturner 01-30-2011 10:37 PM

p.s., I remember when people use to honk if they loved Jesus. :duck:

Bill-n-Brillo 01-31-2011 08:36 AM

Like Gary mentioned, I remember when people would toot their car horn as a way of saying "Hi" to someone. I don't do that much nowadays - someone will misinterpret the intent and pull a weapon on you or something!!! :a20:

Bill

Tweety Bird 01-31-2011 09:28 AM

I would get out of my car, walk up to the honker and blast them a high "C" High "F" if need be! :girlneener:

graciegirl 01-31-2011 11:42 AM

Tweety Bird, hearing your lovely operatic voice would be worth the honking.

I might drive over by your house soon and honk.

memason 01-31-2011 12:07 PM

Maybe someone had a "Honk if you're horny" bumper sticker on their car ... :thumbup:

Don't know..... just saying :shrug:

EdV 01-31-2011 12:36 PM

The last time someone blasted their horn at me I noticed he was the only one behind me. So I shut the ignition off, got out of the car and popped my hood. I pretended to jiggle wires and scratch my head.

By the time he got his car around me, he was really torched but there was nothing he could say or do. After all, it wasn’t my fault the car broke down.

graciegirl 01-31-2011 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdVinMass (Post 327226)
The last time someone blasted their horn at me I noticed he was the only one behind me. So I shut the ignition off, got out of the car and popped my hood. I pretended to jiggle wires and scratch my head.

By the time he got his car around me, he was really torched but there was nothing he could say or do. After all, it wasn’t my fault the car broke down.

You are a treasure.

skyguy79 01-31-2011 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memason (Post 327221)
Maybe someone had a "Honk if you're horny" bumper sticker on their car ... :thumbup:

Don't know..... just saying :shrug:

teachnmo 01-31-2011 05:27 PM

Treasured answers

I have received many treasured answers for my honking concerns. Thanks so much for your responses and help!

l2ridehd 01-31-2011 05:55 PM

There is another side to this story. There are people, I am sure none are on TOTV, who will sit at a stop sign and wait until there are no cars coming from either direction before pulling out. And they can see for a really really long way. If people would just do a few simple things, like move from a stop as soon as traffic allows. Reduce the gap when departing from a traffic light. You watch and you will see 6 car lengths open before a car moves because they were talking on a cell phone or something. Turn expediently to allow traffic to flow. Drive safely but efficiently.

If we all did these simple things, we would save 23,000 barrels of oil daily. And that was a very conservative estimate. Every time you delay at a light, there are cars behind you that have to sit and idle while waiting for the next light. Next time your at a traffic light in the left turn lane especially, watch the 4 or 5 cars in front of you and the gap some leave between cars. By driving smarter, another 3 or 4 cars would have made it through that light. It happens 100% of the time when more then 8 cars are in the turn lane.

I very rarely use my horn, least used accessory in the car, but sometimes it might be prudent.

mulligan 01-31-2011 06:48 PM

And if y'all don't straighten out and drive right, Gracie and her gang will show up and straighten you out!!!!!!!!!!!

graciegirl 01-31-2011 09:36 PM

Be afraid. Very afraid.