Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, New Members Forum (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/)
-   -   Question to TVers from Wannabe! (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/question-tvers-wannabe-35641/)

asilver 01-29-2011 07:37 AM

Question to TVers from Wannabe!

I am a member of TOTV for over a year now, mostly just soaking up the atmosphere of TV from all you good people. My wife and I have high hopes to become TV residents within the next 2 years.
I have a question that I don't think I've come across yet. There's a possibility, albeit a low percentage one, that my daughter (in her late 20s) may want to come down to TV to live with us, for various reasons. My question is: What can she expect to find here in a community designed for 55+? Yes, there are tons of activities for us which I am looking forward to, but I believe she needs a social life with single people in her own age group. Are there many younger people living with their parents in TV? And what about jobs availability for people her age? She has been a Secretary/Administrative Assistant for the last 5 years and has a 2-year Associate Degree from a Community College in Office Technology-Legal. Please be brutally honest on this subject because I want to be prepared to discuss it with her when and if it looks like a real possibility!

redwitch 01-29-2011 08:18 AM

Social life will actually be less of a problem than you think. There are many parents whose children have moved here with them or, because of various factors, have had to move back in with their parents.

Jobs are another story. Working as a server, no problem. Accepting a job at minimum wage, again, no problem. A job as an administrative assistant is another story -- few and far between, exceedingly low wages.

vj1213 01-29-2011 09:30 AM

If she can get in at the sales center, there are a lot of young people working in the administrative offices (but of course the job availability will be the issue) she might even consider talking with someone about becoming a sales rep. and they could guide her in the direction to getting licensed, there are many very young sales reps.

Russ_Boston 01-29-2011 09:30 AM

Agree with Red.

What you might do is try to land the job first before any commitment. Maybe just rent for a few months while she job hunts. If a good job is found then you'll know your path.

Best of luck!

swrinfla 01-29-2011 04:24 PM

Almost everyone in the area acknowledges that pay levels for virtually any job are lower than elsewhere. I understand that even high-level professionals (i.e., doctors and lawyers) make less here.

I think it's reasonably safe to say that the traditionally lower paying jobs - servers, particularly - are even lower paid here, although tips may be better [?].

It doesn't seem to be so because it's theorhetically a 55+ community, but because it's a lot less likely to fork over "big bucks" for any job!

The social life: I haven't a clue about that for kids who could be my grands!
:22yikes:

SWR
:beer3:

skyguy79 01-29-2011 05:21 PM

My TV sales agent just told me yesterday that things have been so busy that an assistant was just hired for him. They also don't expect things to slow down when snowbirds go back north for the summer.

I also asked about when they finish selling the last 12-13 thousand planned homesites in TV, and the answer was that they expect that sales may increase then when the supply lowers and the demand continues or increases.

So looking into the possibility of working for TV sales may be something she should at least consider.