Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Computer questions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/)
-   -   Android Apps that Rock! (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/android-apps-rock-35690/)

memason 01-30-2011 06:22 PM

Android Apps that Rock!

I've drifted over to the "Dark Side" with a Droid X phone. ;)

Is there a need to have an Android thread ???

Here's a couple cool apps to start us off:
  • Tunein Radio
  • Free in the Marketplace
  • Has radio stations from all over the world. Works great on 3G connection.
  • ParkDroid
  • Will let you mark you car location via GPS in large parking lots or anywhere else you may be some distance from your parked car. Works great at a large mall or any other large outdoor parking facility.

tony 01-30-2011 06:25 PM

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you were memason, the Mac guy. Never mind.

pooh 01-30-2011 06:32 PM

Welcome to "THE DARK SIDE!" http://www.tentechnologies.com/wp-co...incredible.jpg

That parking app is something I will immediately download....I can forget where the heck my car is at SweetBay!

Thanks.

Russ_Boston 01-30-2011 06:55 PM

Great thread!

Google Sky - Free. Point you phone at the sky and it Id's the constellations. Always wanted an app like that:)

natickdan 01-30-2011 09:17 PM

I'm on my second android phone. The first was the HTC Hero and I've been enjoying the HTC EVO for over a year now. My son has the new iPhone and he really likes my EVO.

Sportstap is one of my favs...you will be alerted to the scores of your favorite professional teams...at close to real-time.

As Russ suggested, Google Sky is a program you'll enjoy. It is amazingly accurate.

ICE ( In Case of Emergency ) is one of the few programs I purchased. You can input a number of fields, such as ( personal info, contact info, blood type, health issues, insurance info. meds and the name & number of your doc ).

Regarding the Market...I continue to be blown away by the number of programs available at either no charge or very little charge. There are always new and updated programs, so you may benefit by checking it often.

Here are some sites I've found helpful:

Phandroid.com
droiddog.com
androidcentral.com
androidguys.com

natickdan 01-30-2011 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memason (Post 327041)
I've drifted over to the "Dark Side" with a Droid X phone. ;)

Is there a need to have an Android thread ???

Here's a couple cool apps to start us off:
  • Tunein Radio
  • Has radio stations from all over the world. Works great on 3G connection.
  • ParkDroid
  • Will let you mark you car location via GPS in large parking lots or anywhere else you may be some distance from your parked car. Works great at a large mall or any other large outdoor parking facility.

BTW...Welcome to "The dark side", Mike!

chuckinca 01-31-2011 06:21 AM

Shazam: Point phone at music source and it provides info on song being played

Sit or Squat: Finds local public restrooms

ScanLife: Bar code scanner

Talking Tom Free: Virtual Cat

Key Ring: Keep and display bar code for store discount cards

getdul981 01-31-2011 08:05 AM

I've wanted a Droid ever since they first came out. We finally upgraded and got the Droid 2 and we both love it. One app that I have downloaded is Advanced Task Killer. It saves battery life by stopping some apps running in the background that you forgot you had running. I also just downloaded battery life. It's also suposed to help extend your battery charge.

I like the fun ones like bubble, compass and a very neat one is droidlight.

memason 01-31-2011 11:56 AM

Some cool app's starting to show up...

Here's another one of my favorites...
  • Speedview
  • Is a speedometer and trip computer. Work well in the car and the golf cart. It will reverse the display to create a heads-up display on your car or golf cart windshield.

fraurauch 01-31-2011 02:01 PM

Freecaddie is a good app. Includes most of the courses in TV. There is also a paid version for, I think, $14.50. Hubby and I use it all the time.

Russ_Boston 01-31-2011 04:28 PM

I don't know the name of it but there is one that acts as a level. My son has it and it came in handy when I was working on his deck one day.

getdul981 02-01-2011 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ_Boston (Post 327293)
I don't know the name of it but there is one that acts as a level. My son has it and it came in handy when I was working on his deck one day.

Russ - that one is bubble. There's also a studfinder. (for walls not for single women)

memason 02-02-2011 06:28 PM

App Listing

OK Boys and Girls.... I have way too much time on my hands, so I created a "basic" web page with all the apps discussed in this thread.

You'll see the app name, cost, short description and the QR link to the Market to download the app to your phone.

First, you need to download the bar code reader, which you will use to scan the QR code for each of the apps. That will take you to the app in the Android Market, where you can download the app to your phone.

As new apps are added to the thread, I will update the website to reflect the new app and its link.

Here's the web link: https://sites.google.com/site/villagesapps/

Enjoy & keep the cool apps coming..... Mike

champion6 02-02-2011 07:42 PM

Here's my list. Sorry it's rather long.

Handcent SMS - I use it for texting and love it.
Quick Settings - Quickly change many phone settings from one screen.
Opera Mini - Replacement web browser. They claim it's faster because they cache web pages on their servers for quicker downloads.
CalWidget - I like it for the way it displays my calendar
Google Calendar Sync - I use it to sync my Outlook calendar (for work - Microsoft Exchange) to my Google calendar. When I retire, I will quit using this.
aCar - Record gasoline purchases and vehicle maintenance
handyCalc - powerful calculator
GDocs Notepad - Record notes. I like it because it syncs with my Google Docs account.
Pandora - online music source
Facebook & Twitter - obviously. I use and like the "official" apps for both sites.
Antennas - see where your cell tower is on a Goggle map
Astro File Manager - Manage your files - move, delete, etc.
Color Flashlight - turns your screen bright white plus has many fun effects
Flashlight - turns on the LED flash
Compass - name says it all
GasBuddy - app that goes with gasbuddy.com - find nearby gas prices
PdaNet - tether the phone to your laptop for Internet access. You do not pay an extra fee to your carrier.
Radar Now - displays weather radar for your current location. Knows where you are via GPS.
TipCalc - for calculating tips in many different ways.
WiFi Analyzer - Finds and measures the strength of wifi signals.
Winamp - Android music player from the developers who brought us the famous music player for our computers

All the above are free, although a few have a paid version that doesn't have ads.

These two are paid apps.

PowerAMP $4.99 - Another music player, but this one has a graphical equalizer which makes a HUGE improvement in the sound from your headphones or speakers. You can download a 15-day trial version from the Market.
SwiftKey "On sale" for $1.99 the last time I looked - Keyboard replacement. I love it for its ability to predict the next word. It learns from my previous typing. There is a free version where the predictions expire after 31 days.

I'm sorry this list is so long, but have fun testing out these apps :icon_wink:

Pturner 02-02-2011 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memason (Post 327865)
OK Boys and Girls.... I have way too much time on my hands, so I created a "basic" web page with all the apps discussed in this thread.

You'll see the app name, cost, short description and the QR link to the Market to download the app to your phone.

First, you need to download the bar code reader, which you will use to scan the QR code for each of the apps. That will take you to the app in the Android Market, where you can download the app to your phone.

As new apps are added to the thread, I will update the website to reflect the new app and its link.

Here's the web link: https://sites.google.com/site/villagesapps/

Enjoy & keep the cool apps coming..... Mike

Wow Mike, how nice. It's still hard to get used to you being a Droid guy though. :faint: