Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, New Members Forum (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/)
-   -   What I love best about my home & what I dislike (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/what-i-love-best-about-my-home-what-i-dislike-35769/)

youngretiree 02-02-2011 05:23 AM

What I love best about my home & what I dislike

I have a 2/2 concrete courtyard villa. The thing I like best about it is the hugamous open bar between the kitchen and dining room. It is awesome for potlucks & this year I actually served Christmas dinner buffet style using the bar, tho I only had 7 of us. That way we weren't constantly passing stuff around.

The only thing I dislike about my Woodlawn model is the washer and dryer being in the back of the garage, so that I have to squeeze between the AC handler and the outside mirror on my car to go to them. I like an indoor laundry, which most of the other models have.

PS I love the privacy of my lot location and that one side of my house faces a blank wall. Also the sunset from one of my sliding glass doors is to die for! That door lets in a lot of afternoon heat tho so I had to get some lined draperies to add to the verticals.

PSS I love that our villas are right off Canal....makes it so accessable and also easy for people to find.

jblum8156 02-02-2011 06:20 AM

What I love best about my Bougainvillea is its north-south orientation, so I only get full sun in the rear lanai in the late afternoon. Love the inside laundry. Love the two big closets off master bedroom. Love the pushed-out third bedroom (great hobby room). Love the big backyard that backs onto 466A, and between there is a big berm and beautiful trees. Love being close to Canal and Morse Blvd., quick access to anywhere. Love the new library only 3 miles away. Going to love Brownwood and the new shopping plaza.

l2ridehd 02-02-2011 06:46 AM

I love our location in Sunset Pointe. I love the view of the Heron golf course and Lake Miona. Master bedroom size, closets, and bath. Love our kitchen size and island. Our pool and 1200 square foot birdcage.

I don't like that there is no front door closet, that the guest rooms are small, but most of all I hate our garage. It is an oversize garage by someones standards, but it is almost useless. It's a two car garage that will hold one car and a golf cart if you want to have room to walk around them. I bought a second home up the street just to have more garage space. The fact that I had to even consider that is so bad. I love our location and did not want to move, but the garage is really bad. Most homes in TV the garage is way to small. I like to take care of our cars and carts. I like toys, I like work space and hobby space. I have a motorcycle that I want in my garage. My garage needs to be double it's current size and then it would be about right.

If I could build from scratch, I would build my same home in the same location, make the guest wing about 4 feet wider, and the garage 12 feet longer and 15 feet wider. Also would add a wine cellar somehow.

OpusX1 02-02-2011 08:06 AM

We Love our Foxglove Courtyard Villa. Love the view of Churchill Golf Course, Love that the 2 of us can pretty much clean the whold place in an hour, Love the privacy when we want but Love our neighbors, Love that we can let out the dogs without going out with them. Love that we have no grass. The only things we dislike are the angled driveway and the single car garage.

youngretiree 02-02-2011 08:07 AM

Your dogs will pee on the rocks or concrete?

ladylake1 02-02-2011 08:28 AM

I love the front to back of the house expanse view from the foyer. Also love the direct access from kitchen to enclosed lanai. Dislike we didn't get golf cart garage.

jblum8156 02-02-2011 08:29 AM

I once had a dog (standard poodle) that would ONLY pee on rocks.

OpusX1 02-02-2011 12:26 PM

Rocks and mulch.

redwitch 02-02-2011 02:19 PM

I just love that my home is in TV. I'd love a little more space and a decent-sized garage but, heck, as long as I'm in TV, I'm happy.

pooh 02-02-2011 03:15 PM

I love my home floor plan, my good size back yard, my location-not far from the center of town, my neighbors and the oversized garage. What I do wish I had was a golf cart garage, but we've survived this long without one, think it's not absolutely necessary....it's more of a want, not a need.

Bill-n-Brillo 02-02-2011 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redwitch (Post 327788)
I just love that my home is in TV. I'd love a little more space and a decent-sized garage but, heck, as long as I'm in TV, I'm happy.

:agree: Our sentiments exactly!!

Bill :)

Ohiogirl 02-02-2011 04:03 PM

Bonita/Foxglove CYV

Likes: privacy, inside laundry room w/storage possibilities on both walls, large kitchen, wall and fences for landscape background

Dislikes: relatively small lanai, small master bedroom

Everyone else in CYVs seems to dislike the garage. We have a small car and 2 golf carts (one a 4 seater) and enough room for all our other garage stuff. Admittedly, neither of us is a garage "putterer." But - the garage size does not bother us (I think we are in the minority here). It doesn't take as long to sweep out :)

RichieLion 02-02-2011 04:04 PM

I have to agree with Redwitch about just being happy to live in the beautiful Villages.

To comment on my house; I'd have to say that what I love, visually, is the openness of the floor plan, and what I don't like, in practice, is the openness of the floor plan.

That's only when my wonderful wife decides to watch something on daytime TV on a day when I'm home and it's hard to escape the noise of the TV. I'm a guy that just loves to curl up with a book or contribute to online blogs and the noise can be distracting. Oh well; I'm also just glad to have my wife in my life, so I tolerate it with love.

faithfulfrank 02-02-2011 04:45 PM

Richie....nice post.

What I like: Our floorplan. It is strange how we subconsciously seemed to feel so "right" with this house, only later realizing many aspects of the plan were just like our northern house. Funny. I like having the washer/dryer inside, as opposed to the garage. I took out the old side by sides and replaced them with a stackable with side venting, so i then added a lot of shelving storage next to it.

I LOVE our huge yard and the fact no one can build next to me, as it is the public grass area for the big pond. Floridians seem to call it a lake, but as a NY'er close to all the finger lakes and two Great lakes, it is a year round spring fed pond.

I love all of my citrus and palm trees. Can't wait to plant more, including a new type of Florida apple as well as some others. I also love my two RapidReel hosereels I added...worth every penny.

I love our lanai looking over the pond. I love even owning something called a lanai.

Above all, I love not needing a snowblower down there.

I dislike: My garage. not big enough. I have one of the biggest lots here, but the original owner who had our place built STUPIDLY failed to upgrade to the two car garage, when the lot is one of the few that had tons of room for it. I just got approval and blueprints to add a 15x20 ft additional garage. Can't wait! There does not seem to be a basement under my house...I've looked everywhere for it.

Dislike how it seems to take longer for hot water to reach our kitchen sink. I "fixed" that by adding a small instant point of use water heater under the sink....but that was something I was not used to...plumbing under a slab.

As much as I love our Florida home, I love to build and remodel. I'm enjoying upgrading everything.

Frank

ceejay 02-02-2011 04:54 PM

I love that our lanai is off our kitchen...no coffee spills on the carpet in the morning for me:mornincoffee:!

We get the morning sun so it's absolutely lovely out there on a beautiful day!

I also love living with the most wonderful man:icon_wink: on earth...he makes our house a home!

I truly cannot think of one thing that I dislike about our home. I agree with Richie and Red about living in the most beautiful place on earth...I wouldn't live anywhere else!:smiley: