Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About Golf Carts and Things (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/)
-   -   Who Makes The Best Street Legal Golf Cart (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/who-makes-best-street-legal-golf-cart-35825/)

Barefoot 02-03-2011 02:47 PM

Who Makes The Best Street Legal Golf Cart

Any golf cart experts out there? I'm wondering who makes the best street legal golf cart. Tomberlin, GEM, Columbia Par Car, EZ Go 2Five ?? :confused:

Redtail 02-03-2011 04:53 PM

ive had my tomberlin 2 years and all ive did so far is drive it. it has a 2 year warranty but i didnt need it. i cant say enough about this machine. the only negative i can come up with is it wont go faster than 23mph. i get passed by gas golf carts every day! it also has a golf cart mode which keeps it at 19 mph. but other than that it is very safe. also all my neighbors think its CUTE!

mrdills 02-03-2011 04:55 PM

I have a Tomberlin and I think is wonderful................

redwitch 02-03-2011 04:56 PM

I've driven a Tomberlin, Columbia and Gem. Of those three, I think the Columbia Par Car is the best choice. I definitely found it the most comfortable but feel the steering is pretty stiff. I don't like the Gem at all -- takes up an entire parking space, doesn't hold as much if you go shopping in it, feels too closed in for my taste. A plus to the Tomberlin is that it is manufactured in Tampa and they are very responsive about questions and issues. Given that EZ-Go has had battery issues with their regular carts, I'd be hesitant to get it. Know absolutely nothing about the 2Five.

Barefoot 02-03-2011 07:57 PM

I looked today at an E Z Go 2Five (I think that is the name of their new street legal cart). The salesman told me you could go about 25 miles on a charge. Now I have a Par Car and it goes forever on a charge. Quite a difference.

Two votes for Tomberlin? That impresses me. I think I'll check Tomberlin out tomorrow .. there is a dealer very close to me on 301.

Barefoot 02-04-2011 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redwitch (Post 328092)

Given that EZ-Go has had battery issues with their regular carts, I'd be hesitant to get it. Know absolutely nothing about the 2Five.

Red, the 2Five is the new EZ-Go Street Legal Cart. I looked at them today. What are the battery issues with regular EZ-Go carts?

redwitch 02-04-2011 06:20 AM

Here's a TOTV link to some previous problems with the EZ-Go: https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...ight=batteries I've heard from non-TOTV EZ-Go owners of similar issues with batteries, chargers, the promised warranty and just a general dislike of the way things are handled by the dealers and manufacturer.

gongoozler 02-05-2011 02:35 PM

Tomberlin has 4 wheel disc breaks (hydralic and not mechanical) . . . that alone should seal the deal if you are going to be out on the road. Tomberlin also is heavier and more stable than the other street legals . . . certainly a plus if someone hits you in the side. Go up to any cart and push them from the side roof at the drivers side and compare how they feel and you will only go on the road in a Tomberlin.

My Tomberlin only did about 22-23 on the streets and I had the dealer pick it up for a yearly check and now the thing is 2-3 MPH faster . . . did 28 yesterday for the first time on a slight decline and only for a short distance and I certainly would never want to go any faster than that. I've often put 25-35 mile on the cart w/o recharging so I'm also happy with the range.

No matter what brand you get go with an automatic water fill system (Gem car batteries are sealed and do not need water . . . that is a plus for them).

ps . . if it is street legal then you are covered under AAA for tows and flats!

BlueHeronFan 02-05-2011 07:15 PM

Tomberlin for me. It's the standard equipment that sold me. Plus the safety.

Company manufactured in Georgia, not Tampa, unless they relocated, and don't believe they have.

Check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Tomberli...10/e1rJGdosWxU

BBQMan 02-06-2011 04:57 AM

Another Tomberlin fan here. I've had Club Car and Yamaha carts, but enjoy the Tomberlin much more than those. I got the upgraded seats and find it very comfortable. Go try one or PM one of the owners on the boars and take a ride in one.

aaffmom 02-06-2011 10:26 AM

Since LSV's are automobiles by law, I understand thet have to be registered, tagged and have automobile insurance. I was wondering what the annual cost would be and what the advantage over a regular golf cart?

LittleDog 02-06-2011 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redwitch (Post 328092)
I've driven a Tomberlin, Columbia and Gem. Of those three, I think the Columbia Par Car is the best choice. I definitely found it the most comfortable but feel the steering is pretty stiff. I don't like the Gem at all -- takes up an entire parking space, doesn't hold as much if you go shopping in it, feels too closed in for my taste. A plus to the Tomberlin is that it is manufactured in Tampa and they are very responsive about questions and issues. Given that EZ-Go has had battery issues with their regular carts, I'd be hesitant to get it. Know absolutely nothing about the 2Five.

I don't think the Tomberlin is made in Tampa. I have a friend with a Tomberlin and he was told that the cart was US made by the Tomberlin dealer. However, there is a plate under the dash that says the cart is made in China with 30% US parts. I like the Tomberlin and that wouldn't stop me from buying it if I were in the market.

John

Bill-n-Brillo 02-06-2011 04:05 PM

Tomberlin's world HQ is in Augusta, GA. Manufacturing/assembly facilities in both North America and Asia.

http://www.tomberlin.net/#/about-tomberlin

Bill

redwitch 02-06-2011 04:40 PM

Guess it's some kind of outlet/small factory that works on the Tomberlin's in Tampa. I thought they were made there. Oh, well, thanks for the info. Either way, I've found them to be pretty good and reliable, but my first vote is still for the Columbia Par Car and there is no way I would even consider a Gem (just don't like the way they look).

villagerjack 02-06-2011 04:52 PM

I have a 1998 EZGO that we have driven for almost 13 years with absolutely no problems at all. With new gears, we can do the legal limit with ease.