Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About Golf Carts and Things (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/)
-   -   Battery "boiling" over on the garage floor? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/battery-boiling-over-garage-floor-35862/)

billethkid 02-04-2011 07:30 PM

Battery "boiling" over on the garage floor?

I got new batteries last February (4 X 12). I fill them the same as the old ones...cover the plates and to the bottom of the well opening.
The only thing I can figure is to not fill to the bottom of the opening.
Anybody have a similar experience? Advice?

btk

jimmer 02-04-2011 07:39 PM

battery

You only fill your batteries after a full charge.

gongoozler 02-04-2011 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmer (Post 328354)
You only fill your batteries after a full charge.

Jimmer is 100% correct . . . never fill before charging!!

Barefoot 02-05-2011 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billethkid (Post 328353)
I got new batteries last February (4 X 12). I fill them the same as the old ones...cover the plates and to the bottom of the well opening.
btk

Yes, I've had the same problem. Fizzing over.

ajbrown 02-05-2011 06:40 AM

I have always read that you fill each cell to within 1/8 to 1/4 from the lower lip of the fill hole. My Par Car (2000) will bubble a tiny bit out, but my Club Car does not (2002).

MrMark 02-05-2011 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billethkid (Post 328353)

btk

Charge before filling is correct! If you want to solve the problem you should look at a Single Fill system. Takes only a few seconds to fill all the cells and you don't have to worry about overfilling.

dadspet 02-05-2011 03:22 PM

same problem with new 12v batteries. Only filled to correct level after charging.

Joe Bo 02-05-2011 04:04 PM

Battery boiling over

How do you remove a stain on the cement garage floor from battery boilover? Has anyone put down a rubber mat to catch the spill? If so what did you use , where did you get it and approx what was the cost

Thanks

Joe

dre1945 02-05-2011 05:30 PM

Batteries boiling over.

Usually that's a sign that the batteries are on their last legs and need replacement.

Bogie Shooter 02-05-2011 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Bo (Post 328541)
How do you remove a stain on the cement garage floor from battery boilover? Has anyone put down a rubber mat to catch the spill? If so what did you use , where did you get it and approx what was the cost

Thanks

Joe

A rubber mat will not do the trick. I bought a heavy plastic one at Town & Country Golf Carts. Had a couple boil overs and the mat saved my epozy covered cement.
I think it was around $70.

ajbrown 02-05-2011 06:49 PM

Quote:

Thanks

Joe

I have read folks had luck with Iron Out. After we had a garage stained/painted I went with two mats one for each cart just in case. If they are still there, I got them from Rugrats at the Marion Flea. Here is a thread with the info.

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...ghlight=garage

ajbrown 02-06-2011 07:16 AM

I remembered where I read it....

Quote:

How do you remove a stain on the cement garage floor from battery boilover? Joe

I remembered where I had recently seen how to get acid stains off of concrete. Short answer is Iron Out, for details See djv post #12 of this thread.

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...t=33734&page=2

PS. I updated my previous post #11 with this info and added this post in case you already read my incorrect post (#11) from last night.

Barefoot 02-06-2011 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhoerauf (Post 328523)
If you want to solve the problem you should look at a Single Fill system. Takes only a few seconds to fill all the cells and you don't have to worry about overfilling.

I have a Single Fill System. And my batteries are fizzing over.

rubicon 02-06-2011 02:04 PM

Batteries

My golf cart repairman informed me that the only thing that will remove battery acid leakage is muriatic acid. I purchase some and plan on using it shortly. I will mix it in a spray bottle and focus on the areas stained. Yes I agree with those suggesting not to refill batteries until after charging. I also do not charge my batteries overnight because I fear the automatic shutoff from the charger might become defective and create a fire. So I only recharge during the day I am interested in learning if anyone is getting better than 3-4 years on their batteries and if so the brand name. I have gone through three sets of batteries in four years and they were suppose to be the best Trojans???? Any suggestions?

ajbrown 02-09-2011 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubicon (Post 328783)
I am interested in learning if anyone is getting better than 3-4 years on their batteries and if so the brand name. I have gone through three sets of batteries in four years and they were suppose to be the best Trojans???? Any suggestions?

Three sets in fours years? OUCH!

I budget for 3 years for a set of batteries. I still use Trojan although each time I buy, I look to see who the new standard is. I figure with 8-6V batteries I spend about $250/year on "fuel" for three years. If I get four years that is a bonus.