Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   You know you've been in The Villages a while when... (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/you-know-youve-been-villages-while-when-35879/)

Dirigo 02-05-2011 04:05 PM

You know you've been in The Villages a while when...

...you've seen a cart in a roundabout and a car on a cart path (both of which I saw last week). I tried to stop the car as I met it on the car path over by Mallory CC, but it didn't stop. She did pull back onto Odell Circle via the CC entrance.

(Please reply with your experiences...)

Taltarzac 02-05-2011 04:12 PM

Seen a dog successfully pee on Fumar's yard without becoming "fragrant meat" in a Chinese butchery. :icon_wink:

skyguy79 02-05-2011 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taltarzac (Post 328547)
Seen a dog successfully pee on Fumar's yard without becoming "fragrant meat" in a Chinese butchery. :icon_wink:

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/laughing/crying.gif

redwitch 02-05-2011 06:24 PM

Saw an SUV stuck in a tunnel. They had to deflate the tires to get it out. Gotta love folks who really think their vehicle will fit wherever they want to go.

Then there was my friend who went the wrong on the round-about. The worst of it was she traveled the circle twice before she could figure out how to exit (she was supposed to be following me).

skyguy79 02-05-2011 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redwitch (Post 328579)
Saw an SUV stuck in a tunnel. They had to deflate the tires to get it out. Gotta love folks who really think their vehicle will fit wherever they want to go.

Reminds me of the story of a truck driver that got stuck under a low rail road bridge. When the police came along and said to the driver... "Ya stuck under there?" the driver responded by saying "No, I was delivering this bridge when I ran out of gas!" :1rotfl:

Taltarzac 02-05-2011 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redwitch (Post 328579)

Then there was my friend who went the wrong on the round-about. The worst of it was she traveled the circle twice before she could figure out how to exit (she was supposed to be following me).

...have seen a truck as well as several cars backing out from the tunnel across CR466 to Southern Trace Shopping Center. A dump truck had fallen over going too fast around the Tall Trees roundabout. There have also been a number of vehicles stopping in the middle of the roundabout for no good reason. A good reason would be an accident in the roundabout. In that event, you would have to wait your turn to go around the vehicles involved in the accident. This also happened to me.

Cars and trucks going the wrog way in the roundabouts is a fortunately rare occurrence but one I have seen a few times a year here in TV. Pedestrians in the roundsbouts is also a even rarer occurrence but one I have also seen. This is not counting groundskeepers.

2newyorkers 02-05-2011 07:34 PM

On a beautiful, sunny 65 degree day you have seen a walker wearing a ski jacket and hat and gloves. The ski poles were the bonus!

pooh 02-05-2011 08:03 PM

As 2newyorkers said, on days in the high 60's or even low 70's, you might see the "natives" in coats or sweatshirts when those who don't live here full time, will be in shorts and flipflops!

Bill-n-Brillo 02-05-2011 09:08 PM

....when someone blocks your golf cart in a parking space with their cart. I just knew I shouldn't have pulled so far forward into that space!!! :a20: And the blocker wasn't using a rental - their cart had the look of belonging to someone who'd been in TV for a while. Plenty of other places really close by for them to have parked as well. Such is life!! :)

Given their apparent lack of intellect for realizing we'd be blocked in, he/she was probably rather mystified as to why their cart was parked parallel clear at the head of the parking space when they returned...............

Bill

alemorkam 02-05-2011 09:20 PM

You wake up in the morning and wonder what to do.

downeaster 02-05-2011 10:09 PM

You know you've been in The Villages a while when...

you know "hand and foot" has nothing to do with fingers and toes.

gary42651 02-05-2011 10:24 PM

you don`t know what day it is (everyday is saturday) or what the date is, and don`t care

KARENNN 02-05-2011 10:36 PM

When you start eating dinner at 4PM because you are actually hungery, not just because that's the only time you can get a table at the country club. :icon_hungry:

Army Guy 02-06-2011 07:41 AM

You know that "Happy Hour" just about anywhere in TV is way more then an hour!

Army Guy

graciegirl 02-06-2011 09:37 AM

You have been in The Villages for awhile when....

When you see a persons name on TOTV, you kinda know what attitude they have.

skyguy79 02-06-2011 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 328678)
When you see a persons name on TOTV, you kinda know what attitude they have.

I'm beginning to see what you mean, but I'm not quite there yet and I don't have a good memory for those kinds of things. That's probably a good thing though! :sigh:

alemorkam 02-06-2011 10:19 AM

You have to replace your brakes on your GOLF CART.:shrug:

chuckinca 02-06-2011 11:10 AM

You miss the Paradise Rec Center Bar and Grill.

pooh 02-06-2011 12:23 PM

You stop your car, stop traffic, to assist a turtle crossing the street.

rubicon 02-06-2011 01:02 PM

Been in The Villages

Was on my way to play golf in the early morning hours three years ago and questioned my eyesight until I realized that some bald guy with a bandana wrapped around his head and the top down on his Lexus was speeding toward me on the cartpath between Village of Bridgeport and Olmstead Road. He forced three of us to the grass. Apparently this must occur often because my call to the police was greeted with "again". From then on I practice both defensive driving and defensive walking.

LI SNOWBIRD 02-06-2011 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubicon (Post 328764)
Was on my way to play golf in the early morning hours three years ago and questioned my eyesight until I realized that some bald guy with a bandana wrapped around his head and the top down on his Lexus was speeding toward me on the cartpath between Village of Bridgeport and Olmstead Road. He forced three of us to the grass. Apparently this must occur often because my call to the police was greeted with "again". From then on I practice both defensive driving and defensive walking.

When ypou see a clown whiz by in a golf cart and think nothing of it.

CSilvestrucci 02-07-2011 01:02 AM

You whistle "shoveling sunshine" while your friends up north shovel something else.:laugh:

salpal 02-07-2011 08:04 AM

You know your a Villager when you keep trying to explain to your friends up north what the Villages is like....

redwitch 02-07-2011 08:13 AM

it doesn't surprise you that the baby in the stroller is a dog.

iandwk 02-07-2011 08:40 AM

When you get more visits from relatives, including children, in a year than you have gotten totally in all previous years.

graciegirl 02-07-2011 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salpal (Post 328980)
You know your a Villager when you keep trying to explain to your friends up north what the Villages is like....

and they begin to back away from you and look at each other surreptitiously.

pooh 02-07-2011 09:10 AM

This stuff should be in a little book given to all new Villagers.... :1rotfl::clap2:

2BNTV 02-08-2011 12:08 PM

When you can't be in two places at the same time because there are so many options of things you want to do.

BlueHeronFan 02-09-2011 07:01 AM

Now we're talking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pooh (Post 328748)
You stop your car, stop traffic, to assist a turtle crossing the street.

Been there, done that. LOL

BlueHeronFan 02-09-2011 07:04 AM

When you order a beer anywhere, and they plunk two down, automatically assuming that you should drink double with any meal, and it's called happy hour. They say they have to do it because everybody else is doing it.

graciegirl 02-09-2011 08:14 AM

When you pretty well know that any of these things can get a fight started;

Dogs and where they poop.

How people drive and whether they should be ticketed.

Who speaks politically at the squares.

Moffitt

Kids living with grandparents.

How younger retired people view older retired people and how older retired people view younger retired people.

The quality or lack of, of the local Newspaper.

How safe or unsafe The Villages are.

Owning and carrying a gun.

Heated indoor pool.

FEEL FREE TO ADD YOUR OWN.

Barefoot 02-09-2011 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 329513)
When you pretty well know that any of these things can get a fight started;

Dogs and where they poop.

How people drive and whether they should be ticketed.

Who speaks politically at the squares.

Moffitt

Kids living with grandparents.

How younger retired people view older retired people and how older retired people view younger retired people.

The quality or lack of, of the local Newspaper.

How safe or unsafe The Villages are.

Owning and carrying a gun.

Heated indoor pool.

FEEL FREE TO ADD YOUR OWN.

Disputes between walkers, bicyclists and golf carts ..... Walkers on the road when there is a sidewalk available. Walkers on the multi-modal paths walking three abreast and going 5 MPH with a stream of golf carts behind them.

On the other hand ... Driving around The Bubble in a golf cart feeling a surge of pure joy at the cleanliness and beauty.

alemorkam 02-15-2011 01:10 PM

It's a sunny beautiful day in the 60's and you wear long pants
:cryin2::cryin2::cryin2::cryin2:

Pturner 02-15-2011 02:31 PM

When you see someone in a golf cart who looks lost. This time you're the one who stops immediately and asks where they are going. You know the way! You turn around to lead the way and get them headed in the right direction!

That's the day you know you're a true Villager!

Dirigo 02-16-2011 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pturner (Post 331042)
When you see someone in a golf cart who looks lost. This time you're the one who stops immediately and asks where they are going. You know the way! You turn around to lead the way and get them headed in the right direction!

That's the day you know you're a true Villager!

Once on our Lifestyle Preview two years ago someone stopped to help us find our way. I have now helped several others find their way. Kindness is contagious. What a great place this is!

jebartle 02-16-2011 11:55 PM

You know you are in the Villages

When you share a big sweaty hug with your foursome during Ladies Day when you sink a 25 ft. putt for double bogey....

alemorkam 02-17-2011 09:45 AM

you know you have been in the villages a long time when you are playing golf and dont even notice the gator near your ball at the edge of the water until someone tells you

Pturner 02-17-2011 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jebartle (Post 331414)
When you share a big sweaty hug with your foursome during Ladies Day when you sink a 25 ft. putt for double bogey....

:eclipsee_gold_cup:

redwitch 02-17-2011 05:48 PM

You pretend to be talking on your cell phone while sitting in your golf cart so that people know you don't need help.

hedoman 02-18-2011 05:13 AM

When every day you check the weather from the "old home town" to see how much snow they got and how cold it is. Then giggle so loud the neighbors come over to see what the fuss is all about.

In reverse we do that here.....see how much better it is in the Villages vs this lousy snowy crap we got up north. And watch folks dancing every night on the LSL or SS webcams knowing we are soon to be there.

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowd own::bowdown: