Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, New Members Forum (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/)
-   -   Alligators???? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/alligators-35891/)

lisad 02-06-2011 08:12 AM

Alligators????

Ok, this might sound like a silly question but are there a lot of alligators in TV? I know they are abundant around FL fresh water/swamp areas. I'm asking because friends who used to live in FL were over last night - they told us to be extra cautious when we walked our 2 little Shih-Tzus during our upcoming visit. This had never crosssed my mind before and now I'm worried. What's the real deal?
:doggie:

l2ridehd 02-06-2011 08:14 AM

I played Palmer on Friday and saw 5 of them. So yes they are many of them around. And yes they really like small dogs.

graciegirl 02-06-2011 08:15 AM

I have seen them sunning on little islands in the ponds. One BIGGY had to be caught crossing Morse last year.

BUT....I have not heard of any harm coming to man or beast here in The Villages.

villages07 02-06-2011 08:16 AM

Lisa.... not to worry. Yes, there are gators in just about every body of water. I, personally, have never seen a gator more than about 10 feet from the bank of a pond or lake. Walking your pup along the multimodal trails or sidewalks will be perfectly safe. Just be careful around the perimeter of any body of water.

JenAjd 02-06-2011 08:17 AM

We've been here for over a year...I don't golf my other 1/2 does. He sees gators on the courses (well in the water) all the time. I've yet to see one...I'd guess if you're on the paths or sidewalks no worries about your dog. I'd not walk it near the ponds, more than likely.

ajbrown 02-06-2011 08:20 AM

I have learned to just buy another golf ball :)

Palmer (Riley Grove)

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/...7/P1020586.jpg

pooh 02-06-2011 08:20 AM

Hi Lisa,

Yes, there are gators in Florida and in The Villages, but they're not walking the streets, well not usually.... ;) Gators hang around and are in the retention ponds and lakes. The concern for your dog's safety is justified if you take them to walk near these ponds. Walking your pooches in town, in neighborhoods and in areas without bodies of standing water (and they can be small bodies of water) should keep you from too much worry. There's a leash law here and it is better to adhere to it, especially since the dogs could run away from your sight, to a pond, into the road or cart path and be hurt.
You'll love The Villages and your dogs will, too. So many doggies, walking, riding in golf carts (they love it more than the kids do). ENJOY!

pooh 02-06-2011 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajbrown (Post 328654)
i have learned to just buy another golf ball :)

palmer (riley grove)

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/...7/p1020586.jpg

nice picture!

Taltarzac 02-06-2011 08:34 AM

I'd worry more about golf carts and cars hitting a lose dog than the alligators even though there would be a concern with a dog who got away from his/her master as well.

In my small circle, I know of two people who have had their pooches hit my a vehicle either in or near the Villages. One of these was because of one of those very long retractable leashes on a golf course and a distracted dog owner walking and talking at the same time.

I am not sure of the circumstances of the dog getting hit by the car but expect it was something along the same lines--a distracted dog owner and/or vehicle driver.

When I am walking my dog, I try to keep him away from all ponds in or near the Villages as well as lose dogs and distracted golf cart and other vehicle operators.

lisad 02-06-2011 08:40 AM

Thanks for all your quick responses! So, it looks like this could be a valid concern. I'll make certain we stay away from retention ponds and such while we're there. We do not let our dogs off leash and do not use the retractable leashes. We'll be down on the 25th, staying for 5 nights (Lifestyle Preview Visit). Can't wait!

graciegirl 02-06-2011 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisad (Post 328664)
Thanks for all your quick responses! So, it looks like this could be a valid concern. I'll make certain we stay away from retention ponds and such while we're there. We do not let our dogs off leash and do not use the retractable leashes. We'll be down on the 25th, staying for 5 nights (Lifestyle Preview Visit). Can't wait!

I haven't had a get together for awhile. I wonder who else will be new here when you are here................

Tbugs 02-06-2011 09:49 AM

Don't worry about your little dogs. Like the others have said, use common sense where you walk them and use the 6 foot leashes. Naturally, don't walk them in the tall grasses by the lakes or ponds.

Alligators are amazing animals. Leave them alone by all means and NEVER feed them anythng.

philnpat 02-06-2011 11:27 AM

Haven't had the pleasure to meet you yet, Gracie. We'll be here thru April!:a040:

jojo 02-06-2011 11:47 AM

Alligator

1 Attachment(s)
I've not uploaded pictures lately so hope this works. This is a small one is near the boardwalk at Lake Sumter Landing.

duffysmom 02-06-2011 12:29 PM

Please do not feed the cute little alligators

Quote:

Originally Posted by jojo (Post 328736)
I've not uploaded pictures lately so hope this works. This is a small one is near the boardwalk at Lake Sumter Landing.

Unfortunately that little alligator will probably be destroyed before he becomes an adult. Foolish people are feeding these creatures and they have become much too friendly. Once they become less fearful and approach humans they will be destroyed.:ohdear:

lisad your little dog is adorable and if you follow the great advice above you will not have a problem walking your little guy.
You'll love it here.