Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Must read. Orlando Sentinal. Page J 1 Cancer benefit thrown for a loss by Villages. (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/must-read-orlando-sentinal-page-j-1-cancer-benefit-thrown-loss-villages-35893/)

alemorkam 02-06-2011 09:44 AM

Must read. Orlando Sentinal. Page J 1 Cancer benefit thrown for a loss by Villages.

I know there are two sides to every story. But this is kinda disturbing. It seems that the Relay for Life in the Villages, (which was #2 in the state) has been cancelled because the morse family demands 50% of the proceeds for the new Moffitt Center in the Villages. It is the Sunday 6 February 2011 edition.

ajakk 02-06-2011 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alemorkam (Post 328682)
I know there are two sides to every story. But this is kinda disturbing. It seems that the Relay for Life in the Villages, (which was #2 in the state) has been cancelled because the morse family demands 50% of the proceeds for the new Moffitt Center in the Villages. It is the Sunday 6 February 2011 edition.

Here's the link:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...4248287.column

784caroline 02-06-2011 10:24 AM

Some people may have had a problem understanding or following the issues raised with The Villages asking its residents to donate money to fund equipment for the new Moffit Center....BUT what The Villages is doing ( or not doing) for "The Relay For Life" fundraiser for the American Cancer Society is just "amazing". One thing for certain people can and will understand this.

Next thing we wil hear from the VIllages is that its a liability issue to have so many people on village property for a fund raising event.

nitakk 02-06-2011 10:38 AM

If you want to let Moffitt in Tampa know how disgusted you are with their non-stance on this issue, e-mail their Public Info officer and let her know. Michelle Foley can be reached at michelle.foley@moffitt.org. The more people of conscience who speak up, the better!

blondie56 02-06-2011 10:56 AM

I personally commend the vollunteers for the Relay for Life for continuing with their plans this year and not buckling under from some "pressure" plan of the "powers to be" illegal as they may be. Possibly the Moffit Cancer Center may talk some sense into them!:boxing2:

chuckinca 02-06-2011 11:06 AM

Looks like more of the same slanted journalism from the Orlando Sentinel and Lauren Ritchie.

The real story will be soon be in the Daily Sun - maybe on page 25 or so.

StarbuckSammy 02-06-2011 11:14 AM

Another excellent article by Lauren Ritchie. I am disturbed about the developers demands for 50% of the "action"....for the new Moffit Center. This does not pass the smell test. The Morse family has done so many wonderful things for our community and may have a good answer for this behavior. I hope so.

alemorkam 02-06-2011 11:19 AM

I hope so also. The relay for life in the villages had risen to the second largest in the state. What a shame if this is true.:cry:

Whalen 02-06-2011 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alemorkam (Post 328728)
I hope so also. The relay for life in the villages had risen to the second largest in the state. What a shame if this is true.:cry:

It's true.

JohnN 02-06-2011 11:33 AM

chuckinca, I'm often skeptical of Lauren Ritchie and sensational journalism, but if the event is indeed moved, seems a logical reason.

I've concluded whether it's the Morses and TV, or Lauren Ritchie and the Sentinel, the end result is that it's all about the $$$$$$$$$$.
Sadly.

I've a cancer survivor and my regards to the volunteers who do so much.

ajakk 02-06-2011 12:12 PM

Follow the Money

Quote:

Originally Posted by blondie56 (Post 328713)
Possibly the Moffit Cancer Center may talk some sense into them!:boxing2:

I have emailed Michelle Foley the Public Relations Officer for the Moffitt Cancer in Tampa. She refuses to comment on the Moffitt affiliate in The Villages. If anyone else would like to try her Email address is michelle.foley@moffitt.org.

nkrifats 02-06-2011 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajakk (Post 328744)
I have emailed Michelle Foley the Public Relations Officer for the Moffitt Cancer in Tampa. She refuses to comment on the Moffitt affiliate in The Villages. If anyone else would like to try her Email address is michelle.foley@moffitt.org.

5 years cancer free and a Relay life walker. I will vote with my feet and make a choice not to donate to Moffitt. Just my choice.

bimmertl 02-06-2011 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckinca (Post 328717)
Looks like more of the same slanted journalism from the Orlando Sentinel and Lauren Ritchie.

The real story will be soon be in the Daily Sun - maybe on page 25 or so.

The real story was in secret code in Saturdays front page, where 2/3 of the entire front page was devoted to the major headline of the day, the new Dunkin Donut store in Spanish Springs.

784caroline 02-06-2011 06:21 PM

Like I said earlier , The People in The VIllages will understand the recent article in the Orlando paper. There may be some misunderstanding about donations in support of the equipement needed for the Villages Moffit Center but people do understand this Relay for Life issue.

This is not good PR for the Morses, The Villages or the Moffit Center. I also wrote to the Moffit Center alerting them how their name was being dragged down and through the mud over this recent incident. Suggest you all do the same!!

silvertoken 02-06-2011 07:36 PM

Egypt anyone?:bowdown: