Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Medical and Health Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/)
-   -   Aortic valve surgery (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/aortic-valve-surgery-35971/)

glooney34 02-09-2011 11:21 AM

Aortic valve surgery

My cardiologist is recommending a Dr. Cook in Leesburg. I have heard Munroe in Ocala is the best in this area. Cook doesn't go there. I would appreciate input. Its driving me crazy trying to find a top surgeon and hospital without going to Shands in Gainesville. Help!

golf2140 02-09-2011 11:39 AM

My wife had by-pass at Leesburg. They were great, Dr. Cook was in the group with her surgeon.

annmarie 02-09-2011 01:19 PM

I don't know anything about Dr Cook but afriend in the Villages just had open heart surgery at Munro in Ocala and was very happy. good luck.

Hal :-) 02-09-2011 02:42 PM

Have you looked at Healthgrades. Dr Cook. All Florida Cardiac Surgeons sorted by Patient Rating.

glooney34 02-09-2011 02:54 PM

Thanks

graciegirl 02-09-2011 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glooney34 (Post 329554)
My cardiologist is recommending a Dr. Cook in Leesburg. I have heard Munroe in Ocala is the best in this area. Cook doesn't go there. I would appreciate input. Its driving me crazy trying to find a top surgeon and hospital without going to Shands in Gainesville. Help!

My choice would be Shands in Gainesville. It isn't that far away.

Aortic valve replacement or repair is quite a bit different than a by pass.

Carla B 02-09-2011 04:48 PM

Can't help you with heart problems, as we haven't had to deal with them (yet).
However, I would prefer to go to Munroe too if there was time to choose. My husband had cervical spine surgery there and the care was excellent.

tom60 02-09-2011 04:58 PM

Dr cook did quad bypass surg. on my wife and then later installed a pacemaker. He did a good job and i would recommend him. Now my wife is fine. Good luck to you.

gongoozler 02-09-2011 05:42 PM

Do not worry about distance you want a doctor and hospital that does this often and with the latest state of the art equipment. If it were me or a family member I'd be at the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/heart-valve-surgery/

http://www.mayoclinic.org/mayo-clinic-hospital-jax/

StarbuckSammy 02-09-2011 05:42 PM

My mother-in-law rec'd excellent care at Leesburg when she had a double by pass.
The cardiac wing is very impressive and the staff top knotch.

Hancle704 02-09-2011 07:45 PM

Leesburg Ocala heart Institute

Dr Cook is one of the heart surgeons in this group who work at LRMC. My wife had aortic valve replacement, repair to ascending aorta and a single by- pass done in Oct by his associate, Dr Tim Moore.

Everything went well and the quality of care initially in LRMC Cardiac ICU and follow on care in cardiac care unit was in our opinion, second to none.This is an outstanding facility staffed by wonderful caring Doctors and Nurses.

These doctors have extensive experience and a side note, Dr Moore asked to pray with us before the surgery and I was told they all pray in O.R. before surgery and have Christian music playing throughout the procedures.

Dr Moore's PA Tom Jones, was also terrific.

ladylake1 02-10-2011 09:12 AM

I give another vote for Munroe. Had open heart there for mitral valve and the care was outstanding. Dr. Galat did the procedure and he too prayed prior to me going under. Had another type of heart procedure done at Leesburg and IMHO they did not compare to Munroe. They were only a step above The Villages hospital. It's a big decision. If you have confidence in your cardiologist, you may just want to go with his recommendation.

JenAjd 02-10-2011 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hancle704 (Post 329670)
Dr Cook is one of the heart surgeons in this group who work at LRMC. My wife had aortic valve replacement, repair to ascending aorta and a single by- pass done in Oct by his associate, Dr Tim Moore.

Everything went well and the quality of care initially in LRMC Cardiac ICU and follow on care in cardiac care unit was in our opinion, second to none.This is an outstanding facility staffed by wonderful caring Doctors and Nurses.

These doctors have extensive experience and a side note, Dr Moore asked to pray with us before the surgery and I was told they all pray in O.R. before surgery and have Christian music playing throughout the procedures.

Dr Moore's PA Tom Jones, was also terrific.

I was only reading this thread (for just in case, future information). I liked this response!!! A doctor who prays would get "high" marks from me...but I'd also look at his credentials and track record. If all lined up well, THEN I'd definately go with this guy!! :)

glooney34 02-10-2011 02:35 PM

Dr. Moore

His record seems to be excellent, as far as I can tell. Thanks for all the comments- keep them coming.