Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Question for those who moved to a smaller home (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/question-those-who-moved-smaller-home-35980/)

SoHumble 02-09-2011 07:04 PM

Question for those who moved to a smaller home

My wife and I are seriously considering moving to TV. I believe we would be better off moving into a smaller home for several reasons. Lower cost for the house, lower taxes, utility bills, less cleaning and maintenance, etc. This would give us more cash to truly enjoy our retirement and more time for enjoying all the activities instead of cleaning. She prefers a larger home for more storage, room for more visiting relatives, etc.

My question is for those of you who moved from larger homes and into smaller downsized homes. Do you have any regrets? And, is it easy to adapt to living in a small home?

Mudder 02-09-2011 07:12 PM

We have no regrets at all. Think about it, 90% of the time , it's just you and your spouse in the house. When guests or family come you either squeeze them in or have them stay at a local motel. Why buy a big house that you pay for all year long for the few times guests will be there? Downsizing is great for de cluttering, really you can let go of alot of things because they are only things and not the real important things you carry with you in your heart and soul.

Pturner 02-09-2011 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoHumble (Post 329651)
My wife and I are seriously considering moving to TV. I believe we would be better off moving into a smaller home for several reasons. Lower cost for the house, lower taxes, utility bills, less cleaning and maintenance, etc. This would give us more cash to truly enjoy our retirement and more time for enjoying all the activities instead of cleaning. She prefers a larger home for more storage, room for more visiting relatives, etc.

My question is for those of you who moved from larger homes and into smaller downsized homes. Do you have any regrets? And, is it easy to adapt to living in a small home?

Hi SoHumble,
We bought a small 2/2 ranch as a vacation home, thinking we would upsize when we move down full time. However, now that we've had a while, I find that I love the small size! I think I would be quite satisfied to stay with small, though hubby still would like to upsize when we become frogs. That tells you who does the cleaning. :rolleyes:

2newyorkers 02-09-2011 07:15 PM

We have downsized and do not regret it at all. The most positive aspect of downsizing is the smaller yard. We are snow birds, so a smaller home (patio villa) with almost no yard,was perfect for us. If I did live here full time I would still want a smaller home, but I think I would look at the new cottages that have a 2 car garage and golf cart garage. You have more room for storage but still have little maintenance.

K9-Lovers 02-09-2011 08:58 PM

We downsized from 4000sf to 1098sf -- talk about decluttering -- I still have a storage unit full to go through!

We love, love, love our tiny home, a 2/2 CYV on a corner on a preserve. The size is perfect for us. We've arranged the 2nd bedroom with a high-quality murphy style bed that our guests say is very comfortable. Also in the 2nd bedroom is our computer, and my art supplies, all neatly tucked away.

In a pinch, we also have a pull out sofa in the living room (Comfort Sleeper by American Leather) and our guest who slept on it each night for 5 weeks in a row says it's more comfortable than his own bed at home.

We have no complaints, and only praise for our little retirement nest. We bought small on purpose because we don't want to move again to downsize. We are thinking of the future which will be here before we know it, and are planning for the time we are less mobile. We want a small place that will be manageable in our final years.

duffysmom 02-10-2011 11:40 AM

We have a designer with a huge yard and I want to downsize but my hubby doesn't.:grumpy: Our yard needs constant care. When we moved in over two years ago we spent $10,000 on landscaping; now we have to have the grass cut, fertilized, aerated, fed, as well as tons of pesticides poured on it. The sprinklers seem to need adjustment all the time. The shrubs need to be trimmed, flower beds planted each year and new mulch replaced each spring. I was a gardener up north but the Summer's are too hot for me to enjoy gardening. The whole shebang is expensive and tiresome. My dream home is a CYV where my little doggie can roam and I'll have a Koi pond with a very small patch of grass.:kiss: There is a lot of freedom in decluttering and keeping things simple.:thumbup: Oh, we do have a lot of repeat company because we have made their stay here a first class hotel experience. That too makes me grumpy. OK I'm glad I got that off my chest.:blahblahblah:

Sparky-30 02-10-2011 12:10 PM

We lived in a 6 level home in N.Va.(the special way it was built) and I could'nt wait to get out of there. I had retired before my wife had, and had to maintain it, clean it, wore me out.
This one level is 7th heaven!, and no more grass cutting for me down here or any heavy maintenance, I gave all that up.:welcome:

aljetmet 02-10-2011 12:41 PM

To downsize or not to downsize

We are also considering downsizing. However, are there villas, cottages or ranches that can be built with concrete block?

collie1228 02-10-2011 12:53 PM

I don't know anything about cottages or ranches, but the Savannah series of courtyard villas are of concrete construction (not concrete block) with a cementitious finish. I believe all of the other CYVs are wood frame construction.

robbie 02-10-2011 12:54 PM

we considered the stoneybrook which is part of the savannah courtyard villa series which are all block and stucco... very roomy inside but only has garage laundry:rant-rave: so we decided on a designer instead.... having survived hurricane andrew 18 years ago, concrete was important to us as well... good luck...r

http://www.thevillages.com/homes/gal...ard-villas.asp

Russ_Boston 02-10-2011 02:12 PM

There are CYV's that have inside laundry AND concrete construction.

Check out that link above for models and plans.

aljetmet 02-10-2011 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ_Boston (Post 329843)
There are CYV's that have inside laundry AND concrete construction.

Check out that link above for models and plans.

Thanks, If the stock market tanks, this could be a viable option...
On the other hand if it goes wild, we can find a premier next to Gracie....:)

Lot's can happen in two years....

otherbruddaDarrell 02-10-2011 04:06 PM

Ours is a 2bed 2bath cyv made from block and stucco with an inside laundry.
We are moving to Port Charlotte to be near family and it is now on the market. These Villas are very nice....check out mine in my album.

Vinny 02-10-2011 08:40 PM

No regrets at all. No stairs, more convenient and half the cost per month. Less to clean.

graciegirl 02-13-2011 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aljetmet (Post 329854)
Thanks, If the stock market tanks, this could be a viable option...
On the other hand if it goes wild, we can find a premier next to Gracie....:)

Lot's can happen in two years....

We are searching for more space than we now have because by a very special contract with the creator we have our treasured daughter with us for always. We are so blessed to have our Helene. BUT there are three of us and a third more STUFF. We haven't made the move to live here full time and sell our house up North yet, but when we do we would like a bedroom for Leenie that is not a SMALL as most second or third ones like the designer we now own.

BUT, I will tell you this.... If I lived in 500 square feet with Sweetie and Helene it would feel like a castle.

I'm a lucky duck...and I would love, LOVE, love to have you live next door to us.