Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Water main leaks (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/water-main-leaks-36114/)

ladylake1 02-14-2011 12:58 PM

Water main leaks

Seems there have been quite a few major and minor water main leaks lately. Last summer a big one on El Camino and one in Glenbrook and then up around Nancy Lopez. I receive the boil water notices (curioius that I am) and one is coming through at least every two weeks. Just puzzling they are so frequent for a relatively new development. Any ideas why?

chuckster 02-14-2011 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladylake1 (Post 330752)
Seems there have been quite a few major and minor water main leaks lately. Last summer a big one on El Camino and one in Glenbrook and then up around Nancy Lopez. I receive the boil water notices (curioius that I am) and one is coming through at least every two weeks. Just puzzling they are so frequent for a relatively new development. Any ideas why?

I must be lucky........full time 7 years and no leaks in our streets or boil notices.:beer3:

Jim 9922 02-14-2011 01:43 PM

The reason;
Shoddy workmanship, poor design, not buried deep enough below the surface (and thus inordinate vibration), poor or inadequate bedding and not compacting the bedding enough are all probable reasons for early failure.
Oh, and maybe lack of meaningful inspection before the hole is filled up!

downeaster 02-14-2011 02:02 PM

The recent break near the Chatham gate was due to a split pipe according to news reports.

Mikitv 02-14-2011 02:12 PM

I wondered the same thing for such a new area. I could understand it if the pipes were extremely old.

graciegirl 02-14-2011 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikitv (Post 330767)
I wondered the same thing for such a new area. I could understand it if the pipes were extremely old.

Correct me if I am wrong. We receive those notices in our email no matter where in TV the water is compromised.

I am guessing that settling might be a factor since we are so new...

Taj44 02-14-2011 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim 9922 (Post 330761)
The reason;
Shoddy workmanship, poor design, not buried deep enough below the surface (and thus inordinate vibration), poor or inadequate bedding and not compacting the bedding enough are all probable reasons for early failure.
Oh, and maybe lack of meaningful inspection before the hole is filled up!

As a retired engineer, I agree with your assessment. Those are probable reasons new pipes will crack.

I've been disappointed in the quality of the concrete walks and some of the asphalt paving as well. Over near the Hemingway area, I was walking around a year ago, and there were huge cracks in the concrete that was only a year or 2 old. Some of the pavement in the Sumter area isn't looking that great either. It won't be too long before we'll be having to pay for some maintenance on our roadways.

I suspect, things were built in a hurry during the building boom, not a lot of quality inspection, etc.

ssmith 02-14-2011 07:12 PM

just wondering but

I thought the ground there was easily given to sinkholes etc. is that true and would that not affect these types of things....just curious.

senior citizen 02-15-2011 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssmith (Post 330846)
I thought the ground there was easily given to sinkholes etc. is that true and would that not affect these types of things....just curious.

Food for thought. Would you know how many sink holes have formed in TV?

Is there a place online to research such an unwanted natural happening?

Would a realtor have to divulge that such an area "might" exist?

Thank you in advance (to anyone knowledgeble on sink holes in Florida and TV)

joannej 02-15-2011 04:22 PM

Lake Miona Rec Ctr Losed Due to Water Main Break

Found this out on Sunday when I went to play Bunco there. Does anyone know if this has been fixed yet? Is the Lake Miona rec ctr opened yet?

Bill-n-Brillo 02-15-2011 04:43 PM

Yes, Lake Miona Rec Center is open.

From a VCDD e-mail update dated 02/14:

"Lake Miona Recreation Center, Update

Lake Miona Regional Recreation Center had a water main break last week causing damage to the Pickleball Courts. Lake Miona Recreation Center is open and all activities/meetings scheduled will meet as usual. All outside court facilities are closed until further notice. For more information please contact Lake Miona Recreation Center at 430-2950."

Bill

Bogie Shooter 02-15-2011 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by senior citizen (Post 331031)
Food for thought. Would you know how many sink holes have formed in TV?

Is there a place online to research such an unwanted natural happening?

Would a realtor have to divulge that such an area "might" exist?

Thank you in advance (to anyone knowledgeble on sink holes in Florida and TV)

It is common knowledge that there are sink holes in Florida, some areas more than others. Doubt very much if a realtor would be required to divulge that fact.
Here are maps of sink holes in Florida.....enjoy.
http://fcit.usf.edu/florida/maps/gal...oles/index.php

joannej 02-15-2011 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo (Post 331064)
Yes, Lake Miona Rec Center is open.

From a VCDD e-mail update dated 02/14:

"Lake Miona Recreation Center, Update

Lake Miona Regional Recreation Center had a water main break last week causing damage to the Pickleball Courts. Lake Miona Recreation Center is open and all activities/meetings scheduled will meet as usual. All outside court facilities are closed until further notice. For more information please contact Lake Miona Recreation Center at 430-2950."

Bill

Thank you for your quick reply Bill!

Bill-n-Brillo 02-15-2011 08:19 PM

No problem-o! :)

Bill