Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Update on Morse Felony Charges in Montana Poaching Case (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/update-morse-felony-charges-montana-poaching-case-36157/)

Taj44 02-16-2011 08:00 AM

Update on Morse Felony Charges in Montana Poaching Case

For those who are interested in the Morse poaching case (he has 2 felony poaching charges pending in Montana) here is a link to the latest:

http://billingsgazette.com/news/stat...caadfa9b6.html

The Florida game warden who oversaw operations at Morse's and Rainey's ranch, has forfeited bond to resolve charges in the case. He is expected to be a key witness against Morse and his family and friends.

Russ_Boston 02-16-2011 08:22 AM

Even though I've been accused of being a Morse suck up I find these actions (if guilty) disgusting. I hope that they are not able to 'buy' their way out of penalties. But my guess is that money, once again, will rule the day.

Thanks for the update.

Taltarzac 02-16-2011 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ_Boston (Post 331198)
Even though I've been accused of being a Morse suck up I find these actions (if guilty) disgusting. I hope that they are not able to 'buy' their way out of penalties. But my guess is that money, once again, will rule the day.

Thanks for the update.

Think it is more the $600 per hour gaggle of lawyers that the money can afford.

Carla B 02-16-2011 08:42 AM

Isn't it Mark Morse who is involved, not Gary Morse, his father?

Taltarzac 02-16-2011 08:50 AM

Mark Gary Morse

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carla B (Post 331204)
Isn't it Mark Morse who is involved, not Gary Morse, his father?

Right. He and some of his family and friends and/or employees.

redwitch 02-16-2011 08:52 AM

Russ, the odds are pretty good that the charges are real. Sadly, these practices (hunting out of season on your own property) are pretty common in big game states. People buy the ranches for the specific purpose of big game hunting. They think the laws don't apply to them because it is their own property. They know the licensing laws, they just don't think they apply to them.

Jail time is very, very rare. Fines are common. Now, if Morse, Rainey, et al. pay the fines and then do the same thing again, you can bet your bottom dollar that Montana will go after them big time and jail will be part of the final outcome. But for the first go-round, it is fines. The reality is that out-of-season hunting is a big money maker for big game states. The hunting licenses are $20K and up, the fines for hunting out of season are priced accordingly. The states don't want to pay for jail/prison time -- they make much more money with the fines.

What I don't understand is why Morse's penalities are so much higher than Rainey's. From everything I've read and from friends in Montana who know the case well, Rainey committed the more heinous offenses. He was the one who allegedly left the carcasses to rot; cut off the legs of an elk to get better pictures. Both hunted out of season. Not sure who was the one who had a couple of carcasses buried.

I do think what occurred is nauseating, but it is not uncommon. It shows a lack of character and, to me, a lack of morality, but it is done all the time. To many hunter/ranch owners, it ranks up there with speeding -- illegal and you pay your ticket if caught, but no big deal. To those who abide by the laws, they cheer when their neighbors are caught but would never dream of reporting them. For law-abiding hunters, these crimes should be punished and are definitely not okay. For non-hunters, these crimes are nauseating.

Russ_Boston 02-16-2011 09:05 AM

Sad to hear that Red - they know it goes on but just wait to catch them so they can collect big fines? I guess I'll never understand hunting for game sport.

Kelsie52 02-16-2011 09:55 AM

Russ I agree with you 100% --I have always thought that hunting would only be a sport if you gave the ANIMAL a gun also !!!

:confused:

Tbugs 02-16-2011 09:59 AM

What about Due Process?

Charges have been made but no trial has taken place (in a court room) outside of this forum.

If found guilty, there will probably be stiff fines. However, no one has been tried and been found guilty.

This really has no bearing on life in The Villages. Sure, you can say that the Morse family has no morals by shooting out of season on their own property. It does not concern me. Why does it concern you? Just keep any guns away from my pet Panda. He gets mean around hunters.

It is not like an elected official was caught in a sexual tryst. That is a betrayal of public trust - since they are elected by the people. We can all name a few of those - Gov. Spitzer, Mark Foley, David Vitter, and the governors of South Carolina and of New Jersey.

SALYBOW 02-16-2011 10:12 AM

Amen!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelsie52 (Post 331224)
Russ I agree with you 100% --I have always thought that hunting would only be a sport if you gave the ANIMAL a gun also !!!

:agree::agree::agree::agree:

The dominion over animals, which the Bible states God gave humans, is often confused with domination. It was the intent that the supieror human species, which is supposed to be superior by virtual of its gift of the ability to reason, be the guardians of the less superior animal species. It never ceases to amaze me that this is so often comfused by the supierior species. That is why when the ARA uses the sport of hunting as a reason to not enforce gun control I find it an argument which is on a slippery slops.

JimJoe 02-16-2011 10:14 AM

Should all of the farms and..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelsie52 (Post 331224)

I think farms, livestock operations, and meat packing plants should be populated with gun toting animals too.
JJ

katezbox 02-16-2011 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimJoe (Post 331231)
I think farms, livestock operations, and meat packing plants should be populated with gun toting animals too.
JJ

Not to mention leather goods manufacturers...

I have never hunted, but sometimes it keeps a population of animals from starving over the winter. The deer population in many places this year must have had it very hard with all the snow.

If you hunt, eat what you kill and/or share it with others... Venison provides a healthy basis for meals in shelters and soup kitchens...

Talk Host 02-16-2011 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tbugs (Post 331227)
... It does not concern me. .

I'm curious why it doesn't concern you. The man who has been charged with these crimes is in control of your community and will be for a while. If any person is found guilty of any felony, would not all of their activities be suspect?
Maybe I'm wrong.

If a guilty verdict is returned, fines are the most likely outcome, but! One state official was quoted as saying, "this is the largest case of this kind in the history of the state." And, it was reported that there were undercover agents on this case for two years. I'm thinking that there is a possibility that the state is going to make this a real example to others. Perhaps telegraphing that regardless of how much money you have, you can't come to our state and do this, and that you can't buy your way out. If they are found guilty, the state will want to "punish" them. Even a $5,000,000 fine is not punishment to some.

Having said all of that. I hope it's all been a gigantic misunderstanding and the parties are not guilty. I don't want to think that the family that has been held in such high esteem would do anything like this.

JLK

Russ_Boston 02-16-2011 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tbugs (Post 331227)
Charges have been made but no trial has taken place (in a court room) outside of this forum.

If found guilty, there will probably be stiff fines. However, no one has been tried and been found guilty.

I think you need to re-read some of the posts. For example my post said "If guilty" and Red said 'odds are'. Didn't see anyone who said they were guilty without a trial.

I'm not against hunting in general. As Kate says it may be necessary in some cases or used as food in others. I just don't like the 'sport' of it.

Kelsie52 02-16-2011 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimJoe (Post 331231)
JJ

Jim --those operations are essential I am talking about the SPORT of hunting for pure pleasure of the kill as it appears Morse and company are accused . I understand population control and the feeding of the hungry.

I just wonder sometimes how many people would be shooting animals(for sport) if they could shoot back !!

Have a great day !! on my way out to the sport of shopping with my princess