Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Contractors and Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/)
-   -   Internet Provider (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/internet-provider-36247/)

jmarkohio 02-19-2011 09:51 AM

Internet Provider

My current internet provider is through the land line phone company. I want to drop my land line and I absolutely refuse to use Comcast again. What would my options be for internet connection here in TV.
Thanks

Tom Hannon 02-19-2011 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmarkohio (Post 331988)
My current internet provider is through the land line phone company. I want to drop my land line and I absolutely refuse to use Comcast again. What would my options be for internet connection here in TV.
Thanks

I'll keep an eye on this post also. As far as I know, Comcast is a monopoly but I'm hoping Verizon will soon be joining The Villages.

nkrifats 02-19-2011 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Hannon (Post 332003)
I'll keep an eye on this post also. As far as I know, Comcast is a monopoly but I'm hoping Verizon will soon be joining The Villages.

Don't see Verizon any time in the near future from my view so you are limited in your choices.

Russ_Boston 02-19-2011 10:56 AM

CentruyLink provides up to 10mb service in some areas of TV. This was mentioned on another thread somewhere.

Not sure if 4G is an option yet in TV (with Verizon, Sprint etc.). Anyone know?

logdog 02-19-2011 02:34 PM

I currently have Comcast for my internet. I recently switched to DirecTV for my TV service (very glad I did) which caused my internet bill to go from $25 per month to $35 per month for 1.5 mb service.

I went to the CenturyLink store this week and was told that I could get the same service from them for about $30 per month for the first year and $50 per month after that (that is with the $5 per month DirecTV discount). Plus I would have to pay installation and activation charges. Also, several people here have told me that CenturyLink is noticeably slower than cable.

I hate Comcast but guess I'll be staying with them for now. CenturyLink might make sense if you bundle with phone service. I'm keeping my $15 per month cell service.

English Ivy 02-19-2011 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by logdog (Post 332056)
I currently have Comcast for my internet. I recently switched to DirecTV for my TV service (very glad I did) which caused my internet bill to go from $25 per month to $35 per month for 1.5 mb service.

Logdog, is that for the "economy" internet service from Comcast that is $24.99 if you have another service?

If it only went up $10, that's not too bad. Although I've never actually inquired I just thought it would be more expensive to only have internet with them.

My husband wants to switch to DirectTV, but the internet has been holding us back because I don't want to switch to CenturyLink.

ldj1938 02-19-2011 07:16 PM

Dsl

I think that you can DSL without paying for the telephone service on Century Link. Believe I read that on one of their pubs. Call them b4 you cancel. DSL is the best! Comcast sure is a mess.

skyguy79 02-19-2011 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ldj1938 (Post 332112)
I think that you can DSL without paying for the telephone service on Century Link. Believe I read that on one of their pubs. Call them b4 you cancel. DSL is the best! Comcast sure is a mess.

I have 3 services for Internet access; Roadrunner in our NY home, Comcast here in TV and Verizon DLS at our camp near our NY home. IMHO and experience, I think the following about each:

Roadrunner comes in numero uno. Easy to contact and have gotten satisfactory support and quick response when needed.
Comcast comes in second. Admittedly we haven't had them that long, but so far (knock-on-wood) no real problems except trying to figure who to call or what phone numbers to use. Time though will tell me more!
Verizon DSL comes in last. I wouldn't call the DSL performance that bad, but I find that it is slower than either cable company. And for technical support... that's what really drops them to last. Any time I've needed support it's fustratingly taken me quite a while on the phone to go through their standard routine, support requiring technician action has literally taken days and their service down time could be measured in hours but fortunately does not occur as often as it did in our first year. They're improving in that area.

I don't know if this would all hold true in this area, but as I indicated... this is based on my experience only and others may have experienced otherwise! http://www.testmy.net/ipb/public/sty...erd_smiley.gif

Jakel 02-19-2011 09:11 PM

Using android phone

I found a way to use my Verizon android based smart phone to tether my laptop using pdanet...worked decent while I was visiting The Villages last week. Not fast like cable, and it was a little tricky, but it is portable, and works wherever you can get phone service. There is a yearly charge, you can check the website, I was using the free trial period, and am now back on Comcast at home. Hope to drop High speed modem and the high costs, and be portable.

Hawkwind 02-19-2011 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ_Boston (Post 332010)

Not sure if 4G is an option yet in TV (with Verizon, Sprint etc.). Anyone know?

Russ
Here is something that I found very interesting about 4g or lack of it.

http://www.clickorlando.com/technolo...54/detail.html

tumbleweed 02-20-2011 01:00 AM

Isp

Current choices are limited. Sprint became Embarq (both DSL) which is now CenturyTel. The DSL is fast enough for me and I have been a high-speed ISP user for many years, both cable and DSL. No problems with downloads, file transfers, streaming video (I am not a big user of this). Prices have been jacked up.

Unfortunately, lack of competition and consolidation into mega-ISPs does not bode well for better service/prices. Some of us may recall The Villages ClearLink choice, which was reasonably priced although not always technically stellar. ClearLink was (and may still be) a "The Villages" owned service, but its customers seemed to have been thrown under the bus as a result of some corporate action to spin off the service (to ComCast??) and folded its tent.

There has been modest effort in the past to get support/interest in a Villages community-wide ISP, such as is found in a few other areas around the country, but this idea has not gained "traction" and probably never will unless The Villages sees it as a money-maker and an attraction for prospective house buyers.

And try to get a golf reservation by internet if you don't belong to The Villages endorsed ISP. Weird that one can make internet reservations for thousands of course throughout the land, but here, you have to belong to the right ISP, or pay a monthly service fee. Seems to me trail fees plus monthly amenity fees should entitle access simple/convenient service regardless of the ISP used. Do I hear an Amen??!!

ajdeck 02-20-2011 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tumbleweed (Post 332186)
Current choices are limited. Sprint became Embarq (both DSL) which is now CenturyTel. The DSL is fast enough for me and I have been a high-speed ISP user for many years, both cable and DSL. No problems with downloads, file transfers, streaming video (I am not a big user of this). Prices have been jacked up.

Unfortunately, lack of competition and consolidation into mega-ISPs does not bode well for better service/prices. Some of us may recall The Villages ClearLink choice, which was reasonably priced although not always technically stellar. ClearLink was (and may still be) a "The Villages" owned service, but its customers seemed to have been thrown under the bus as a result of some corporate action to spin off the service (to ComCast??) and folded its tent.

There has been modest effort in the past to get support/interest in a Villages community-wide ISP, such as is found in a few other areas around the country, but this idea has not gained "traction" and probably never will unless The Villages sees it as a money-maker and an attraction for prospective house buyers.

And try to get a golf reservation by internet if you don't belong to The Villages endorsed ISP. Weird that one can make internet reservations for thousands of course throughout the land, but here, you have to belong to the right ISP, or pay a monthly service fee. Seems to me trail fees plus monthly amenity fees should entitle access simple/convenient service regardless of the ISP used. Do I hear an Amen??!!

Just another question, I see some people have an e-mail address of thevillages. What is that all about???

Just asking...

aj

skyguy79 02-20-2011 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajdeck (Post 332191)
Just another question, I see some people have an e-mail address of thevillages. What is that all about???

Just asking...

aj

This is The Villages's .net dial up internet access. You will find the link to the website, where you can download the application, through the following Google search:

http://www.google.com/search?q=https...archBox&ie=&oe=

nkrifats 02-20-2011 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyguy79 (Post 332196)
This is The Villages's .net dial up internet access. You will find the link to the website, where you can download the application, through the following Google search:

http://www.google.com/search?q=https...archBox&ie=&oe=

I only use to get to Tee Time system and various Villages information site.
Cost is 8 per month I believe is what I pay.

nitehawk 02-20-2011 09:03 AM

Amen - Amen
Quote:

Originally Posted by tumbleweed (Post 332186)