Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Being discouraged to be moving to the Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/being-discouraged-moving-villages-36297/)

TOMCAT 02-21-2011 11:22 AM

Being discouraged to be moving to the Villages

Has anyone every been discouraged about moving to the Villages when they were thinking about moving there. I have seen that with me. There is one person, in particular, who is constantly doing that. He will say something negative about Florida or the Villages. Is it just jealousy or what. Why don't people just mind their business. I would not say anything to anyone if they would like to move somewhere that I would not want to move. As the saying goes, "To each his own.":confused:

nkrifats 02-21-2011 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOMCAT (Post 332443)
Has anyone every been discouraged about moving to the Villages when they were thinking about moving there. I have seen that with me. There is one person, in particular, who is constantly doing that. He will say something negative about Florida or the Villages. Is it just jealousy or what. Why don't people just mind their business. I would not say anything to anyone if they would like to move somewhere that I would not want to move. As the saying goes, "To each his own.":confused:

Your last line sums it all up. " To each his own". That one person is not the one who is moving or making the choice.
Just my thoughts

graciegirl 02-21-2011 11:30 AM

If it is someone with whom you have a lot of memories, it could be that he doesnt want you to leave because he truly likes you and will miss you and doesn't want you to go.. It could be that he can't afford to do it. AND it could be he doesn't like Florida...honestly doesn't like Florida.

I really don't like Florida. BUT

I really, REALLY like it in The Villages.

AND...chances are that if you invite this person down for a visit and give him something nice and kool to drink and show him around....well he will fall in love with the place, just like we all did.

And...we will have yet another new villager.

P.S. Tell him that the local paper has a Republican slant. I don't think we need any surprises to our new residents.

Mudder 02-21-2011 11:32 AM

Many people who have never visited here said so many negative things to us before we moved here. I got tired of defending our move so choose to ignore the comments. After moving here I wanted to tell those people how it is here, but then we decided , why bother. It's our secret, we don't need those people moving here anyway. We have some friends who have their preconceived ideas and don't even want to visit, so be it.
Please don't get sucked into their thoughts about The Villages, come see for yourself, think you'll be pleasantly surprised. We only wish we had moved here sooner !

PennBF 02-21-2011 11:34 AM

Funny

A little humor..I have a brother who is a reasonably well known designer and lives in California. When I told him we were moving to The Villages he would ask how we could live in a totally controlled commuity, lose our ability to be independent, run around in golf carts and many many more negatives.
After a year or so he came to visit for a week or so. He loved it. He now flies to The Villages every chance he gets and spends time with us.
He is now talking his wife into coming with him on a visit (she is also in the art world) so she can observe the life here.
Let your negative friend wait, then visit and then move..It will happen.. :welcome

hdh1470 02-21-2011 11:48 AM

We lived in Fl for 11 years and left and thought we wouldn't be back.But now after coming to TV for the last 8 years guess where we own a house and will be living in the near future?

TOMCAT 02-21-2011 11:52 AM

Yes, I do know about the heat of Florida. How many people do not know that? No, I did not realized that Orlando, Florida, has one of the greatest crime rates in the nations. Maybe Mickey Mouse is having money problems and is mugging people. I would say back, LOL. These are just a few comments that I do hear.

I live in Long Island, NY. I am not too far from crime infested neighborhoods here either. Everywhere there is going to be an area that is not too good. The Villages seems like a safe place to live. I have visited there at least two times and will be coming down again.

redwitch 02-21-2011 11:58 AM

There are always some who will be negative. Not just about moving here, but about you moving anywhere. The reality is there is only person you need to please (well, two if you're married) and that's YOU. Your kids, if any, are grown and living their own lives. Your friends will either be thrilled you've found a place that you know suits you and the life you want to live or hate that you're leaving them. If they're truly friends, they'll be happy for you regardless. Family will get over it if they care about you once they see how happy you are.

As strange as it sounds, I recommend you read Leisureville -- at least the first few chapters. The author is under the illusion that his older neighbors owe it to his village to stay there to help raise his kids. The reality is his neighbors owe him nothing, just as you owe neighbors, co-workers, friends and family nothing. You have the right to enjoy your life, so go for it! Live here, invite them down to visit, have fun and let those who are bitter enjoy their lives however they choose to live them.

skip0358 02-21-2011 12:10 PM

Leaving Long Island

I had a very good friend not try and talk me out of it but suggested we make sure it was what we wanted before we did it. Also suggested we keep the house up north for a while until we were sure,well we sold and moved within four months of putting the house on the market. He's since convinced we did the right thing. Neither my wife or I have one single regret on moving here,except maybe doing it sooner. Everything worked out great,we don't look back and after leaving the high taxes, utilities, and the anything goes rules. We're VERY happy in our new found community and the friends we've made. So take it with a grain of salt and hurry down.See ya soon

Russ_Boston 02-21-2011 12:13 PM

I always say the same thing to those people "You have to visit to understand".

Most people's idea of Florida retirement is some aging community with one golf course, one old style swimming pool etc.

I brought each of my kids down before we purchased and had them stay with us for a few days. Now they CAN'T WAIT for us to move and my close friends are convinced as well.

jblum8156 02-21-2011 12:19 PM

My son, my very own son, thought I should rent for at least 6 months before thinking about buying a house here. But when he came to visit, he understood why I made up my mind so fast.

Tom Hannon 02-21-2011 12:20 PM

Florida is a poverty stricken ghost town. It is too hot. You can get a house for half the price you pay in TV anywhere else in Florida. There are many retirement places with A golf course. Everyone living there has one foot in the grave. Etc. etc. I heard all the lines. I didn't know what to believe until I visited friends in TV and "It was love at first sight." You can't explain what TV has to offer to anyone. They have to see it to believe it. Like Skip 0358 and TomKat, I also live on Long Island and living the lifestyle of Village People beats the heck out of the alternative. I was not as fortunate as Skip but I hope to eventually sell my NY home and never look back. Peole used to say "Old people come to Florida to die". What outsiders don't know is "In The Villages they come here to live."

graciegirl 02-21-2011 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Hannon (Post 332465)
Florida is a poverty stricken ghost town. It is too hot. You can get a house for half the price you pay in TV anywhere else in Florida. There are many retirement places with A golf course. Everyone living there has one foot in the grave. Etc. etc. I heard all the lines. I didn't know what to believe until I visited friends in TV and "It was love at first sight." You can't explain what TV has to offer to anyone. They have to see it to believe it. Like Skip 0358 and TomKat, I also live on Long Island and living the lifestyle of Village People beats the heck out of the alternative. I was not as fortunate as Skip but I hope to eventually sell my NY home and never look back. Peole used to say "Old people come to Florida to die". What outsiders don't know is "In The Villages they come here to live."

I very much agree!

pklein9747 02-21-2011 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redwitch (Post 332458)
There are always some who will be negative. Not just about moving here, but about you moving anywhere. The reality is there is only person you need to please (well, two if you're married) and that's YOU. Your kids, if any, are grown and living their own lives. Your friends will either be thrilled you've found a place that you know suits you and the life you want to live or hate that you're leaving them. If they're truly friends, they'll be happy for you regardless. Family will get over it if they care about you once they see how happy you are.

As strange as it sounds, I recommend you read Leisureville -- at least the first few chapters. The author is under the illusion that his older neighbors owe it to his village to stay there to help raise his kids. The reality is his neighbors owe him nothing, just as you owe neighbors, co-workers, friends and family nothing. You have the right to enjoy your life, so go for it! Live here, invite them down to visit, have fun and let those who are bitter enjoy their lives however they choose to live them.

Redwitch...thank you for putting it all in perspective. You are absolutely right...the only ones we have to please is ourselves (hubby & I). Given the opportunity, my kids would move in a heartbeat and not think twice about leaving us in NJ. And that is fine...they have their own lives to lead but so do we. I've said the same to my friends who think we're "rushing" and should take another year or so to decide. But none of us know what the future holds and we deserve to be happy for as long as God will allow us. And happiness for us right now is moving to TV and enjoying a new, fun and more active lifestyle!

Castle guy 02-21-2011 12:44 PM

Discouraging...

Previous posters said it best when they say that you must listen to what your heart tells you.

I first came to TV 4 years ago, on a 5 month rental. I had made it very clear to my wife that we would not be buying a home in Florida, as renting is so much more care free, and we didn't need the worries of owning a home from afar (we are 6 month snowbirds).

By January of our rental year, we had bought a home here and had moved in by Feb. We still only live here 6 months per year, but have never regretted for minute our decision. No matter what others tell you, or even what you have been telling yourself, come and experience TV, and then listen to your heart. If you do, we will soon be welcoming you to our hometown (even if in our case, it is only a part time hometown).

Tom Hannon 02-21-2011 12:48 PM

Great comment, Castle Guy. You hit the nail on the headbone.

TOMCAT 02-21-2011 01:20 PM

I also have younger people who wish they can move to Florida. No money to be made in Florida for them. I feel sorry for them, because it can be expensive to live in New York. I am glad I am reaching my retirement years. The Villages makes me want to retire as soon as I am able to and come and live a life, not to die. Hopefully, it will not be as expensive as it is here in good old Long Island, NY. Do not get me wrong, Long Island is a beautiful place to vist, but to live here you need a big bank account.

runnermi 02-21-2011 02:02 PM

Florida is too hot

Dear god, I have heard that comment so many times that if i had a dime for everytime someone told me that I could be retired. I actually am an odd duck in that I like hot, humid and sticky weather. Is mid-day too warm or oppressive at times? Yes, but then you are in air conditioning for part of the day and the mornings and evenings are glorious.

I live in Michigan on the outskirts of Detroit. Gee, how many times has Detroit been pegged the Murder Capital over the years? No crime in Detroit. :1rotfl: Seven months of the year I have to live in a heat control environment. Of the two, air conditioning or heat, I would rather it be air conditioning.

I am thankful that a lot people don't think the Villages is for them. Hopefully there will be room for me one day.

Gail in Detroit (staring at 9 1/2 inches of fresh snow. Wanna trade? WAIT!!! And it is predicted that we are getting another 1 to 3 inches tonight! Woohoo!)

texasfal 02-21-2011 02:02 PM

I can't even get my mother-in-law who live in Massapequa to vist. Too many bugs, too hot, nothing to do! Ha! So I feel your pain TomCat!

pooh 02-21-2011 02:23 PM

When hubby mentioned living in TV, I was the one that said, "I don't want to be living with all those old folks!" Ah, little did I know. A visit to the compound when in FL visiting our kids was all it took. I was the one that said, "I want to live here." We've owned our home almost 5 years now, lived here over 4.

Well, there can be bugs, don't forget about love bug season..... ;)

We didn't get much resistance from friends, most of them had started their moves out of CA. Some east coast friends wondered why in the heck we picked Florida, and a retirement community to boot, but it's not really a retirement community, it's an place of opportunity, so much to do or relax, whatever you decide. There really is no convincing people unless they've visited. My sister owns a shop in MA and some of her customers are seasonal residents of TV. One day she and one of those customers were in the grocery store and sis was behind her part time Villager. The clerk was commenting on TV, saying it's just a retirement village, and of course our snowbird said "Nay, nay." The clerk said she had to be making this stuff up and my sister joined in the conversation. She had visited with us here not long before. "It's just as she says, it's wonderful, it's absolutely beautiful and it's nothing you could ever imagine." Thanks, Sis! All it takes is one little visit.... ;)

whartonjelly 02-21-2011 02:25 PM

We had our son and daughter in law visit us during our weeks stay in TV.
That is all it took for them to understand our decision. Originally they wanted us to move near them. No more discussions just complete approval.

LisaJ 02-21-2011 02:32 PM

When my husband and I were thinking of purchasing in TV (moving from Naples, FL) my sister kept saying "everyone is so old." Why would you want to live there. She is from Naples, FL too. Over Christmas, I had the family Christmas at TV that included my 2 college age kids, her 2 college age kids and herself. Every person that was older, she had to point out how old they were and how could we possibly enjoy TV. Finally, my son said to my sister.."You are just jealous that mom is having so much fun." 'If I could move here I would!" Well, you know what they say "out of the mouth of babes." Even though he really isn't a baby anymore, he is still my babe!

eweissenbach 02-21-2011 02:35 PM

To quote the late, great Frank Sinatra in the song "That's Life Some people get their kicks stompin on my dreams

Kelsie52 02-21-2011 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOMCAT (Post 332479)
I also have younger people who wish they can move to Florida. No money to be made in Florida for them. I feel sorry for them, because it can be expensive to live in New York. I am glad I am reaching my retirement years. The Villages makes me want to retire as soon as I am able to and come and live a life, not to die. Hopefully, it will not be as expensive as it is here in good old Long Island, NY. Do not get me wrong, Long Island is a beautiful place to vist, but to live here you need a big bank account.

TomCat

I just moved here in Oct. from Long Island (New Hyde Park) --We said we would never move to Florida !!! Visited here and that changed everything

We closed here on Oct 27 --I retired Nov 1----

We find Taxes, Utilities, clothing and restaurents cheaer here --

Supermarket prices are about the same --some items are higher

The pace of things is much slower --its great !!

As others have stated all those negative comments from people go away once they visit --

And did I mention ---I gave my snow blower away to my son in Brooklyn !!

:a040::coolsmiley::1rotfl:

Good Luck

2newyorkers 02-21-2011 03:43 PM

We know people that live near TV but had never been to TV. They told us that everyone was snobs and that people outside of TV make fun of all the people who live in TV. We have come to the conclusion it is jealousy. How can you make a comment on a place you have never been?

graciegirl 02-21-2011 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2newyorkers (Post 332520)
We know people that live near TV but had never been to TV. They told us that everyone was snobs and that people outside of TV make fun of all the people who live in TV. We have come to the conclusion it is jealousy. How can you make a comment on a place you have never been?

Now...that is mean spirited. If you tell me where they live me and the girls will call on them....

2BNTV 02-21-2011 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOMCAT (Post 332443)

Some people are negative and generally criticize what they don't understand.

I recently tried to explain TV to my dentist and stopped in mid-sentence and said, "you just have to see it to believe it, their aren't enough words to expain how beautiful it is".

Close friend of mine said, "how can you live in Florida when the summers are so hot". I replied, "what's the diffrence in that you have to stay in air-conditioning for a couple of months or stay inside in the winter in New York because it's too cold.

Like the Beatles song, "Let it be".

pzjay 02-21-2011 04:38 PM

What a hoot!

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 332521)
Now...that is mean spirited. If you tell me where they live me and the girls will call on them....

:mademyday: GG - you are too much!:1rotfl:

hedoman 02-21-2011 05:24 PM

Everytime I tell somebody we have purchased a home and are moving to the villages I get " oh really? I have a "friend, relative, friend of a friend, friend of a relative, some guy I know parents, neighbor's neighbors and so forth and so on" that LOVE it there. Talk abut being a "known" place! Now how do I fit all my "new found" friends, who just found out WE will be FROGS, into our bungalow?

:boom:

hedoman 02-21-2011 05:30 PM

Another thought.... Anybody remeber the movie Cucoon (sp)? They really painted a Florida retirement community oddly but maybe in that day correctly?

Everybody is right "you gotta see it to believe it" and here we were so close to living in Lake Weird...LOL

rubicon 02-21-2011 06:32 PM

The Villages Lifestyle

What you lose in January you gain in June. So goes the logic if your decision on where to live is based on weather. Most of us acclimate quickly. Ilooked here in 2004 and was concerned about the government model. I looked again in 2006 and reluctantly moved down from Minnesota. To this day I prefer Minnesota to The Villages but having made those financial adjustments and since there remains a bad housing market I dare not move.

There are many things to like about TV and its residents are at the top of the list. It is true that we have pretty much a homogeneous group but that can be a good thing. This is a healthy lifestyle but one which could be replicated eleswhere. Ownership and tavel by cart kicks as much as it cuts. But the biggest drawback to me is till the government model but I will adjust.

ljones190 02-21-2011 06:50 PM

Being discouraged to be moving to the Villages

Rubican,

I just visited MN for the first time 2 weeks ago, the people I visited were born and raised there and were not planning to leave but were quite upset with the taxes and fees, 12% state income tax and 800.00 a year for a car registration. These numbers are far worse then NJ. I could not believe the numbers but that is what I was told.

faithfulfrank 02-21-2011 07:08 PM

Although we are not in TV, but just south of you, we have had many "talks" with folks not understanding our love of our Florida home.

Sometimes it can be attributed to jealousy. Sometimes it is the crab bucket mentality of not wanting anyone else to get out of the crab bucket, so they pull anyone down who tries to escape.

We have heard, "Have you been DOWN there in the SUMMER???" I reply, "Yes, and I like it more then the bone chilling frigidness of 6 month Buffalo winters".

I've heard, "How selfish of you to leave your kids and grandkids".

I've heard, "How wrong you are to take your fancy NY Gov't pension and not stay to spend it in NY".

In the end, I realize it is foolish to argue. Everyone is different. I do not WANT everyone I know to follow me to Florida. Like they say....the best revenge is living well. I'll just sell our NY home, retire quietly, leave without fanfare and enjoy the good life in my wonderful Florida home......and smile when I read about the high NY taxes, bad winters, potholes. etc.....

I'll live in a land where the only gloves I own are golf gloves. I'll never use a snow blower or a snowbrush or snowshovel again. The only salt I'll own will be on my table.

There is a Bible verse that says, "Consider the birds". I have done that and discovered they are smarter then I am because they LEAVE NY in the winter. Soon, I'll live in a land where seeing my breath outside is rare. I"ll trade my E_Z Pass for a SunPass........Florida, here I come!!

Frank

Tom Hannon 02-21-2011 07:14 PM

I agree with Faithful Frankie 150% Most people just don't get it and unless they see it for themselves the'll never understand it. It is their loss.

HawkeyeBarb 02-21-2011 07:38 PM

I believe Tom and Frank are right...people don't get it unless they have experienced The Villages. I have heard "I can't believe you want to retire to FL in that weather...it's SO HOT down there!" from so many people...and 99% of them have never been to the state...and the one who had was at Disney World for 5 days in July! It's like they forget that Indiana is hot and muggy in the summer, too...but also cold and snowy in the winter. I don't know if it's all of the years I spent skating outdoors in Iowa...but bring on the heat!!!! I believe the luxury of air conditioning is available everywhere in FL if I get too hot.
Many of the people I have talked to about retirement that HAVE spent some time in FL react much differently. I have had several say "Take me with you!" and "We'll come and visit!"
I can't wait to be in a place where it is GREEN all the time and not gray, brown or white six months out of the year! :sigh:

Schaumburger 02-21-2011 09:01 PM

Right on!

Quote:

I can't wait to be in a place where it is GREEN all the time and not gray, brown or white six months out of the year! :sigh:
You are so right. Amen I say to you!

Pturner 02-21-2011 09:47 PM

People who haven't been here can't imagine it because they have no accurate frame of reference.

If I'd never been to TV and perceived it as "a retirement community," I wouldn't get it either. If I perceived it to be like central FL, I surely wouldn't get it.

TV is like.. no other place. How can we expect strangers to this strange and wonderful place to understand? All of my friends and family who have visited us in TV get it totally. My youngest brother spent a day here with me and wishes he could move here now!

If I had never been to TV, I might wonder why friends would uproot their lives and move in haste. Being lucky enough to be just a snowflake in TV, it's harder for me to understand why anyone who has been here would not make haste to spend the rest of their lives here!

TOMCAT 02-21-2011 10:43 PM

I know someone who recently just built their home and moved to upstate New York, where it is cold and snowy during the winter. :cold: I do not think I would lived there. I wished them good luck and never said anything else. Hey, to each his own.

K9-Lovers 02-21-2011 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Hannon (Post 332465)
People used to say "Old people come to Florida to die". What outsiders don't know is "In The Villages they come here to live."

Perfect. Well said. :clap2:

TOMCAT 02-22-2011 07:37 AM

I think that is correct!!!