Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Houses of Worship in the Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/houses-worship-villages-75/)
-   -   St.Mark: Decline In Members (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/houses-worship-villages-75/st-mark-decline-members-36310/)

Informer 02-21-2011 09:04 PM

St.Mark: Decline In Members

From the St Mark Bulletin:

Parish Council Report
Meeting of Tuesday 1/11/11

Finance Report:

Our Sunday and Holy Day Offertory for the period July-
December 2010 was $468,960 compared with $491,996 for the
same period in 2009,a worrisome 4.68% decline - due in part
to a 1.7% decline in registered families.

I heard that a curse was placed on the church because a cross that was dedicated by a couple was removed from the sanctuary and the church is currently being run by a deacon bob and his wife.

ijusluvit 02-22-2011 08:47 AM

Yes, but they won't have to worry because the world is going to end on the second Tuesday after the first full moon over Miami.

SALYBOW 02-22-2011 09:05 AM

I do know that St. Vincent DePaul's enrollment is up. We now have 8 deacons, 1 pastor a resident priest, and many visiting priests. We need to have 10 masses per weekend to accomadate all the people. I hope we can build the new church soon. The music is incredible and the parish seems quite friendly. Maybe that is where the St Mark's people went.

chuckinca 02-22-2011 09:33 AM

Maybe the numerous St Vince folk can take over the empty St Mark new church?

Talk Host 02-22-2011 09:49 AM

The whole church is curses because somebody removed a cross? Whew! Give ME the shivers.

Quietman 02-22-2011 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talk Host (Post 332724)
The whole church is curses because somebody removed a cross? Whew! Give ME the shivers.

The cross was moved from the sanctuary to the chapel to be seen by more people.

Informer 02-22-2011 10:53 AM

Seen by more people ???

The chapel holds 200+

The main church where the cross was meant to be holds 1400+

Special lighting and alarms were built for it. Now anybody can walk off with it!

It was customed made in England just for the church.

The people who paid for the cross were told that the cross would be for the main sanctuary.

Changing memorials after people gave money for them for a specific use will discourage others to dedicate anything let alone be a member of that church!

PR1234 02-22-2011 11:26 AM

I would LOVE for our church to receive $468,990....what are they whining about!!!!!!:22yikes:

Quietman 02-22-2011 12:32 PM

They have a much larger cross in the church now. Everyone seems happy.

K9-Lovers 02-22-2011 01:00 PM

Informer, I am just curious . . . what gave you the idea for your "Informer" name?

graciegirl 02-22-2011 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Informer (Post 332742)
Seen by more people ???

The chapel holds 200+

The main church where the cross was meant to be holds 1400+

Special lighting and alarms were built for it. Now anybody can walk off with it!

It was customed made in England just for the church.

The people who paid for the cross were told that the cross would be for the main sanctuary.

Changing memorials after people gave money for them for a specific use will discourage others to dedicate anything let alone be a member of that church!

I...um...think you are kidding right....about the curse? Catholic dogma says that it is a sin against the first commandment to allow superstition to guide you....doesn't it? Isn't that what I learned in Baltimore Catechism about a hundred years ago?

I think that moving a cross or changing a stained glass window just happens over time. My grandparents paid for a window in our parish church a long time ago. The church has been renovated....Things just change. I kinda think that someone is missing a message here. The purpose of the church building is to encourage.........................?

I have heard wonderful things about St. Vincent de Paul. I hear that St. Marks is crowded.

Informer 02-22-2011 06:55 PM

"They have a much larger cross in the church now. Everyone seems happy."

Not for those who left!

Informer 02-22-2011 06:59 PM

I think that moving a cross or changing a stained glass window just happens over time. My grandparents paid for a window in our parish church a long time ago. The church has been renovated....Things just change. I kinda think that someone is missing a message here. The purpose of the church building is to encourage.........................?

Yes they change over a very long period of time! But this change happened months after the church was even dedicated!

I even think it is morally wrong for a bunch of whinners to do such a thing!

Informer 02-22-2011 07:01 PM

Informer, I am just curious . . . what gave you the idea for your "Informer" name?

To inform those of the truth....I was there!

Talk Host 02-22-2011 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Informer (Post 332866)

To inform those of the truth....I was there!

You were there for what Mr/Mrs informer? The casting of the curse?