Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Pocket Doors (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/pocket-doors-36312/)

KYTeacher 02-21-2011 09:30 PM

Pocket Doors

Has anyone had any troubles with a pocket door getting off track? Anyone to recommend looking at (fixing) them? Thanks in advance.

redwitch 02-21-2011 10:18 PM

I don't know if Alan Byer can do this, but I'm pretty sure he can. Give him a call -- if he can't he'll tell you rather than try to muck around and make things worse. 352/233-8567

Barefoot 02-22-2011 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KYTeacher (Post 332609)
Has anyone had any troubles with a pocket door getting off track? Anyone to recommend looking at (fixing) them? Thanks in advance.

I hate pocket doors. We have one on our ensuite bathroom. I wonder if you can replace them with a real door?

getdul981 02-22-2011 07:58 AM

What is it about the pocket doors that you hate? We like ours so far.

ijusluvit 02-22-2011 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KYTeacher (Post 332609)

Try closing the door part way and tightening the roller assemblies at the top. Also make sure the track itself is tight to the door header. Finally, add a little non-petroleum based lubricant.

Barefoot 02-23-2011 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by getdul981 (Post 332678)
What is it about the pocket doors that you hate? We like ours so far.

Getdul ... It is a bathroom door. There isn't a handle on it, so it seems awkward to close it. And it has never closed and locked. Even my dog can open it. I thought rather that getting it repaired, I might just add a "normal" door.

(We also have a pocket door on the laundry room and that one doesn't bother me).

skyguy79 02-23-2011 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barefoot (Post 332986)
Getdul ... It is a bathroom door. There isn't a handle on it, so it seems awkward to close it. And it has never closed and locked. Even my dog can open it. I thought rather that getting it repaired, I might just add a "normal" door.

(We also have a pocket door on the laundry room and that one doesn't bother me).

We have two pocket doors in our Gardenia and I don't mind either of them and have yet to find a reason not to. One of those doors closes off the toilet in the master bath and the other can close off the two guest bedrooms and guest bath that can sort of make that area into a private suite. Both doors have small popout handles that are easy to use, but I do have to admit that my wife had to show me how to use them!
http://images.yuku.com/image/gif/a5d...5b69f3e863.gif

784caroline 02-23-2011 12:16 PM

Pocket doors are used when "Interior Space " is at a premium and specifically you do not have the swing radius to open the door fully without an obstruction being in the way. They are very popular in The Villages.

Another complaint I hear is when people nail a picture on the outside wall (where the pocket door is) and the nail is toooo long goes through the wall and obstructs the door from properly opening or closing. Easy Fix use a shorter nail!!

mulligan 02-23-2011 01:08 PM

Check the door for scratches on both sides. A common mistake I have found is that the drywall installers used a too-long screw that catches the door, or the finish carpenters used a too-long nail on the baseboard. Then check for some piece of debris under the door, and last, have you hung a picture or a towel bar or some other accessory on the walls on either side of the pocket. A lot of people don't realise that you need to be careful of the wall on either side of the pocket. Not much clearance.